Mailing List Archive

VNC using PUTTY SSH tunnel
I am trying to reach a VNC server running on an AIX5.3 host at home ( I
tried to a Solaris 8 host at home with the same results). They are
behind a DLINK cable router.

I have port forwarding set for port 9999 --> 5901 and have started the
server with "vncserver :1". The "netstat -an" confirms the process is
listening on 5801 for HTTP requests and 5901 for vncviewer requests.

I can successfully connect with vncviewer going to "hostname:9999" when
it is not using an SSH tunnel.

I have port forwarding set for port 8888 --> 22 for ssh. I can
successfully connect with ssh using "ssh -p 8888 hostname" from a
command line or from a PUTTY session going to port 8888.

I have created a putty entry with the same ssh parameters and then under
SSH tunnels I have created an entry with source port 5901 (local) and
destination "hostname:5901" since the SSH tunnel should hide the port
forwarding of 9999 --> 5901. I get the normal SSH prompt for userid
and password. I then try and start the vncviewer and connect to
localhost:1 or 127.0.0.1:1 and get a message "The connection closed
unexpectedly. Do you wish to attempt to reconnect to ...:".

I have read through the FAQ's and did some Google searches but can not
find a problem that matches. Am I missing something completely obvious
?

What gets me is that I set up a VNC connections successfully with the
same PC and a local UNIX server with no problem.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

"This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any dissemination or use of the information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail,
delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Although this e-mail and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might
affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no
responsibility is accepted by the Board of Trade of the City of New York, Inc.
or the New York Clearing Corporation for any loss or damage arising in any way
from its use. Thank you."
Re: VNC using PUTTY SSH tunnel [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 18 October 2005 23:27, Pugliese, Edward wrote:
> I am trying to reach a VNC server running on an AIX5.3 host at home ( I
> tried to a Solaris 8 host at home with the same results). They are
> behind a DLINK cable router.
>
> I have port forwarding set for port 9999 --> 5901 and have started the
> server with "vncserver :1". The "netstat -an" confirms the process is
> listening on 5801 for HTTP requests and 5901 for vncviewer requests.
>
> I can successfully connect with vncviewer going to "hostname:9999" when
> it is not using an SSH tunnel.
>
> I have port forwarding set for port 8888 --> 22 for ssh. I can
> successfully connect with ssh using "ssh -p 8888 hostname" from a
> command line or from a PUTTY session going to port 8888.
>
> I have created a putty entry with the same ssh parameters and then under
> SSH tunnels I have created an entry with source port 5901 (local) and
> destination "hostname:5901" since the SSH tunnel should hide the port
> forwarding of 9999 --> 5901. I get the normal SSH prompt for userid
> and password. I then try and start the vncviewer and connect to
> localhost:1 or 127.0.0.1:1 and get a message "The connection closed
> unexpectedly. Do you wish to attempt to reconnect to ...:".
>
> I have read through the FAQ's and did some Google searches but can not
> find a problem that matches. Am I missing something completely obvious
> ?
>
> What gets me is that I set up a VNC connections successfully with the
> same PC and a local UNIX server with no problem.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.

Try setting up tunnel in ssh with -L 5901:127.0.0.1:5901
(5901 on your local machine will be tunneled to remote machine
and from there to 127.0.0.1:5901)

Jerry
Re: VNC using PUTTY SSH tunnel [ In reply to ]
Dear Edward

There are step-by-step instructions on using Putty with VNC on this very
useful webpage

http://nodivisions.com/tech/vnc/

This way works well for me.

Daniel

--
Dr Daniel John Rigden Tel:(+44) 151 795 4467
School of Biological Sciences FAX:(+44) 151 795 4406