Mailing List Archive

unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060)
hi,

i've installed the free real vnc version 4.0 on five machines that are
all running winxp. additionally i am using an ipcop firewall
(www.ipcop.org) to connect my lan with the internet. at the firewall i
defined port-forwading rules for the vnc servers (port: 590x) on each
host. the vnc server is running on every host with the same settings.
i can connect via vnc viewer to two of the five machines on my lan. when
i am trying to connect to the others i get following error message from
the vnc viewer:

unable to connect to host: connection timed out (10060)

any ideas?
tom

--
thomas schwaiger
[a] a-5761 maria alm, dorf 115
RE: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
Exact same error message I've been having for weeks. No idea how to
solve--sorry.

Re: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
i checked my vnc installation again: the problem has nothing to do with
the ipcop firewall. when i am trying to connect to the vnc servers from
a machine inside the lan, i get the same errors.

to franklin & mary beth bowen:
ad 1) i get an rfb response from the host i can reach via vnc viewer. i
don't from the hosts i can't reach
ad 2) the check on http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ shows the two hosts i can
reach (display 2 and 4). but it says that the other host are not
responding.

any other hints? is there something wrong with the vnc server
installation or local privileges?

Franklin & Mary Beth Bowen schrieb:

> 1) telnet to your firewall's IP with the correct port # and look for
> an RFB response (of course depending on your firewall, this COULD
> succeed from the LAN and still fail from the internet)
> 2) Visit http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ from behind the firewall
>

> At 03:50 PM 8/24/2005, you wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i've installed the free real vnc version 4.0 on five machines that
>> are all running winxp. additionally i am using an ipcop firewall
>> (www.ipcop.org) to connect my lan with the internet. at the firewall
>> i defined port-forwading rules for the vnc servers (port: 590x) on
>> each host. the vnc server is running on every host with the same
>> settings.
>> i can connect via vnc viewer to two of the five machines on my lan.
>> when i am trying to connect to the others i get following error
>> message from the vnc viewer:
>>
>> unable to connect to host: connection timed out (10060)
>>
>> any ideas?
>> tom
>>
>> --
>> thomas schwaiger
>> [a] a-5761 maria alm, dorf 115
>> [m] s-tom@gmx.at
>> [p] +43 650 2300823

thomas schwaiger
[a] a-5761 maria alm, dorf 115
[m] s-tom@gmx.at
[p] +43 650 2300823
RE: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
I would strongly suggest you double-check both the ipcop firewall and the
Windows XP firewalls to make sure that VNC is not being blocked. I know you
say you've got it configured to permit, but it won't hurt to double-check
that there is an exception made to permit VNC Server.

Re: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
thanks john,
with an explicit permit at the windows firewall i could connect also to
the other hosts!

--
thomas schwaiger
[a] a-5761 maria alm, dorf 115
Re: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 24 August 2005 05:43 pm, Thomas Schwaiger wrote:
> thanks john,
> with an explicit permit at the windows firewall i could connect also to
> the other hosts!

Yep. Gotta love Micro$oft's idea of a firewall... hell, they even block
Outlook by default, and it's their own product!
RE: unable to connect to all hosts - connection timed out (10060) [ In reply to ]
Thomas at al,

The error in question means that absolutely no response was received from
the IP address you specified to the viewer. Possible causes include:

1. You are using the wrong IP address and it doesn't refer to an existent
machine.
1b. You are using a DNS name that refers to the wrong IP address, as in 1.
2. There is a firewall between viewer and server that is dropping
connection attempts, so that they are not seen nor responded to.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.