"The most important design issue... is the fact that Linux is supposed to
be fun..."
(Linus Torvalds at the First Dutch International Symposium on Linux.)
Re: keyboard trouble [ In reply to ]
> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:09:11 +0100
> From: Michael Rohleder <mike@rohleder.de>
> To: vnc-list@orl.co.uk
> Subject: keyboard trouble

> I started vncserver on a german NT or 95 machine.
> The viewer runs on a US linux system.
>
> The problem is the keyboard layout. Some keys are received as german
> on the NT box, some not. The layout of that keys are neither german
> nor us.
> I could not manage to type in some keys, ~ or \ for example.
>
> Any hints or tips?

I have the same problem with the server on Linux and the viewer on
NT. What troubles me most is, that xmodmap doesn't do any good - e.g.
the backslash, keycode 89, gets mapped to ssharp and if I assign
anothe mapping, the backslash gets mapped to keycode 90. Furthermore,
if I assign a third modification to keycode 89, the whole keymap gets
garbled and I have to kill the server. Does anybody know I install
the US keyboard layout (00000409) as loadable onto a german NT
installation?

Thank you very much,
MCM

Martin C. Mueller | Institut fuer
Mail: mcm@itwm.uni-kl.de | Techno- und WirtschaftsMATHEMATIK e.V.
Tel.: 0631/205-4472 | Abteilung Prof. Dr. Hamacher
Fax.: 0631/205-4139 | http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern