Mailing List Archive

varnish stops and rejects requests
Hallo,

we are using varnish to redirect incoming requests to different sites.
We wrote a c-library that connects an embedded sqlite-databese to chose
the targets for redirection.

The problem is, that after a while, there may be some 100000 requests
served correctly, varnish stops working:
- clients receive an rejected-massage
- varnishlog only show ping-pong massages
- syslog shows no entry related to varnish at all
- the varnish process is still running
- the port (80) is still bond to the varnish process
- there is lots of free memory

does anyone know a possibility to debug what is happening with varnish
that causes the crash?
As there are no logfile entries i have no idea how to get any usefull
information.

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,

Tobias

--
LAMP solutions GmbH
Gostenhofer Hauptstrasse 35

Amtsgericht Nuernberg: HRB 22366
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Heiko Schubert

Es gelten unsere allgemeinen Geschaeftsbedingungen.
http://www.lamp-solutions.de/agbs/

Telefon : 0911 / 376 516 0
Fax : 0911 / 376 516 11
E-Mail : support@lamp-solutions.de
Web : www.lamp-solutions.de
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/LAMPsolutions
Twitter : http://twitter.com/#!/lampsolutions

Re: varnish stops and rejects requests [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Tobias Eichelbrönner <
tobias.eichelbroenner@lamp-solutions.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> we are using varnish to redirect incoming requests to different sites.
> We wrote a c-library that connects an embedded sqlite-databese to chose
> the targets for redirection.
>
> The problem is, that after a while, there may be some 100000 requests
> served correctly, varnish stops working:

Without source it would be hard to understand why (hey! the world need an
sqlite vmod, people might even fix your problem for free! :), but my
initial guess would be that you somehow manage to get Varnish to leak
sessions. Look at varnishstat while you are testing and you should spot it.
The default is a limit of a 100.000 sessions so that is what I'm basing my
guess on.

Of course you can then send a SIGSEGV to it and load the dump into gbd.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer