----------------------------------
Best wishes,
Jammy
Re: chunked response within first session [ In reply to ]
]] Jammy

> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be aggregated and returned.

Yes this is normal.

> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response even if in the fetch session?

Why would you want to do that?

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Technical lead, Varnish Software

Re: chunked response within first session [ In reply to ]
On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> ]] Jammy
>
>> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be aggregated and returned.
>
> Yes this is normal.
>
>> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response even if in the fetch session?
>
> Why would you want to do that?

I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)

> --
> Tollef Fog Heen
> Technical lead, Varnish Software
> t: +47 21 98 92 64

----------------------------------
Best wishes,
Jammy
Re: chunked response within first session [ In reply to ]
On 22 February 2012 01:59, Jammy <jammy.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> ]] Jammy
>
> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be
> aggregated and returned.
>

> Yes this is normal.
>
> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response
> even if in the fetch session?
>

> Why would you want to do that?
>

> I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML
> assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)

Perhaps you should investigate the streaming support in Varnish three:

https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish

and currently being worked on:

https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish

Laurence

Re: chunked response within first session [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your pointer.

On 23 Feb, 2012, at 2:31 AM, Laurence Rowe wrote:

> On 22 February 2012 01:59, Jammy <jammy.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>>
>> ]] Jammy
>>
>> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be
>> aggregated and returned.
>>

>> Yes this is normal.
>>
>> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response
>> even if in the fetch session?
>>

>> Why would you want to do that?
>>

>> I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML
>> assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)
>
> Perhaps you should investigate the streaming support in Varnish three:
>
> https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish
>
> and currently being worked on:
>
> https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish
>
> Laurence