Mailing List Archive

spamd logging confusion
OK, I'm confused.

I'm trying to get spamd to log to my maillog but can't figure out what's going
wrong.

I'm invoking spamd like this ...

/usr/bin/perl -T -w /usr/bin/spamd --syslog=mail -d -c -m5 -H
--razor-home-dir=/var/lib/razor/ --razor-log-file=sys-syslog -r /var/run/spamd.pid

I have the following in rsyslogd.conf...

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*;mail.!=debug /var/log/maillog
local1.* /var/log/spamd.log

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

(ignore the local1.* entry for now)

With this context, when spamd launches it puts one entry in maillog and then
logs to /var/log/messages...

Jan 10 17:43:01 listmail spamd[21503]: logger: removing stderr method

I tried changing the syslog facility on spamd to local1 and the same thing
happened, expect the one log entry went to /var/log/spamd.log and the rest went
to messages.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get it to log correctly?

FWIW: I'm running on Amazon linux.

Thanks!

david

--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding 615 miles (Yes, you read that right) in the American Diabetes
Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education,
advocacy, and awareness. You can make a tax-deductible donation to my ride by
visiting https://gmane.diabetessucks.net.

You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive donation map
... https://gmane.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky thing).

I may have diabetes, but diabetes doesn't have me!
Re: spamd logging confusion [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/19 6:03 PM, David Gibbs wrote:
> I'm trying to get spamd to log to my maillog but can't figure out what's
> going wrong.

Also, spamd is logging oddly even in the messages file...

Jan 10 18:11:32 listmail spamd[21867]: logger: removing stderr method
Jan 10 18:11:33 listmail check[21869]: spamd: server started on IO::Socket::IP
[::1]:783, IO::Socket::IP [127.0.0.1]:783 (running version 3.4.2)

noticed the first entry has program spamd, but the next one is showing 'check'.

david

Re: spamd logging confusion [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/2019 6:03 PM, David Gibbs wrote:
> I'm trying to get spamd to log to my maillog but can't figure out
> what's going wrong. Jan 10 17:43:01 listmail spamd[21503]: logger:
> removing stderr method
>
> I tried changing the syslog facility on spamd to local1 and the same
> thing happened, expect the one log entry went to /var/log/spamd.log
> and the rest went to messages.

> Jan 10 18:11:32 listmail spamd[21867]: logger: removing stderr method
> Jan 10 18:11:33 listmail check[21869]: spamd: server started on IO::Socket::IP
> [::1]:783, IO::Socket::IP [127.0.0.1]:783 (running version 3.4.2)

I figured out the issue ... apparently razor is changing the log facility to local3.

I disabled razor and spamd is logging correctly now.

david