27/F Kinwick Centre, 32 Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong
T +852 3555 2217 F +852 3555 2222 M +852 9880 1217
Hong Kong . Singapore . Tokyo

Re: database setup for multiple servers log storing [ In reply to ]
2012/6/12 Thomas Lau <Thomas.Lau@principleone.com>:
> Dear All,
> I am currently trying to run rsyslog 4.6.x to run as centralized log server, which at the end write to mysql db.
>
> But do I need to create new DB for each log client or one DB will save all servers log?

Hi Thomas,

I suppose you can set it up however you want. By default, all logs go
to the same DB in the same table. But you can use templates to
customize the SQL command and change that. Take a look here (towards
the end you have the default command):

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_conf_templates.html
Re: database setup for multiple servers log storing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Thomas Lau wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am currently trying to run rsyslog 4.6.x to run as centralized log server, which at the end write to mysql db.
>
> But do I need to create new DB for each log client or one DB will save all servers log?

It depends on how you want to configure it, you can do either one.

Also please note that 4.x is old enough that it's not really being
supported any longer, please upgrade to 5.x or 6.x. There are a lot of new
features and bugfixes in the newer versions.

David Lang