Any hints would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris
Re: Adding a new device type [ In reply to ]
Chris,

The quick basics:

1 -- Create an expect script similar to clogin that can connect to the device and run commands. You may be able to start with one of the existing *login scripts found in the bin directory, if they partially work on your device, to speed up the process. If you can find one that already works, use it. This would need to telnet in and the MikroTik interface is fairly simple. clogin might work for you with only minimal changes to address the format of the prompt.

2 -- create a perl script similar to rancid that uses the login expect script from the previous step to obtain the configuration and parse/sort it as needed to clean up the output. For example on the MikroTik this may just run the 'export' command and discard the login output and CLI prompt.

3 -- Add your new device type to rancid-fe

4 -- Setup the new devices in router.db using your new device type

Good luck,

Mike