Mailing List Archive

Conditional distribution of default route in ripd?
Assume two interfaces in one computer. One interface is connected to an
internal network, and the other interface is connected to an external
network. At some point an external IP address is assigned to the external
interface, and later, it might be removed.

Specifically, two computers would be connected to the same switch on the
external network. Using uCarp, the external IP address could move from
one computer to another to provide failover.

What I would like to do is automatically distribute a default route to
the internal network with ripd when the external IP address is assigned
to the external interface and stop the announcement when the external IP
address is removed. No other routes need to be advertised.

Is it possible to configure ripd to conditionally redistribute the
default route from the kernel routes based on the presence of the
external IP address through a route map or something? Is the better
approach to simply create a static route in quagga's configuration and
restart quagga when the external IP address is configured on the
interface (redistributing static routes through ripd)?

--
Russell Mosemann

Re: Conditional distribution of default route in ripd? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Can you try to use ucarp-upscript to inject default route into the routing table? Then you may redistribute it into RIP and announce 0/0 to internal routers.

08.12.2011, 02:06, Russell.Mosemann@cune.org:

Re: Conditional distribution of default route in ripd? [ In reply to ]
Vyacheslav Trushkin <me@dogonthesun.net> said:

> Hi,
>
> Can you try to use ucarp-upscript to inject default route into the
> routing table? Then you may redistribute it into RIP and announce
> 0/0 to internal routers.

On a Cisco a route map can be created to check for the presence of a
specific IP address in the routing table and then permit the default
route to be distributed (but no other routes). Otherwise, no routes are
advertised. It is described in detail at the link below. This is what I
would like to do with quagga, if possible.

http://ccietobe.blogspot.com/2008/07/rip-default-routes.html

--
Russell Mosemann

Re: Conditional distribution of default route in ripd? [ In reply to ]
Yes, it's known as conditional default route. At this moment quagga doesn't support this feature in ripd. May be in future.

08.12.2011, 18:31, Russell.Mosemann@cune.org: