--
John Kemp (kemp@network-services.uoregon.edu)
RouteViews Engineer

Re: quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:33:39PM -0700, John Kemp wrote:
> I believe this line overloads some behavior people
> actually want.
>
> line 1820: sockopt_v6only (ainfo->ai_family, sock);
>
> Fedora 14 Linux 2.6.35.10-74
>
> bgpd -d -u quagga -g quaggavty -A :: -P 23
>
> If you do that, you can only get to the cli using
> the IPV6 address, not 127.0.0.1 or the V4 address.
>
> If you comment out that line, then you can get to
> the cli on v4, v6, and localhost.

As far as I remember, there were failures in other places depending on
the sequence of binds, it would bind IPv6, then fail on IPv4 and then
crash and die -- or something like that.

The "clean" solution is allowing multiple -A options.

-David
Re: quagga-0.99.21:lib/vty.c sockopt_v6only [ In reply to ]
On 6/21/12 11:40 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:33:39PM -0700, John Kemp wrote:
>> I believe this line overloads some behavior people
>> actually want.
>>
>> line 1820: sockopt_v6only (ainfo->ai_family, sock);
>>
>> Fedora 14 Linux 2.6.35.10-74
>>
>> bgpd -d -u quagga -g quaggavty -A :: -P 23
>>
>> If you do that, you can only get to the cli using
>> the IPV6 address, not 127.0.0.1 or the V4 address.
>>
>> If you comment out that line, then you can get to
>> the cli on v4, v6, and localhost.
> As far as I remember, there were failures in other places depending on
> the sequence of binds, it would bind IPv6, then fail on IPv4 and then
> crash and die -- or something like that.
>
> The "clean" solution is allowing multiple -A options.
>

> -David

Yeah, I saw old quagga-dev thread related to bgp_network,
but I never saw anyone say that was a cure in relation to the vty. So I
think
this sockopt_v6only inside lib/vty.c probably didn't help anyone.

Agreed on your general solution.
But it would be nice to keep "-A ::" as one of those options.