Mailing List Archive

POP3: unable to scan $HOME/Maildir?
Does anyone know why this user can't check his e-mail via POP3 (it
works if he runs pine locally, though)? This is what happens upon
trying to login via POP3 (qmail-pop3d):

[pmak@lina pmak]$ telnet localhost pop3
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <6303.1045341261@lina.aaanime.net>
USER ukyou
+OK
PASS *****
-ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir

The mail directory seems correct; ~ukyou/Maildir exists, and the
permissions are rwx------.

Other accounts on the system seem to work fine:

[pmak@lina pmak]$ telnet localhost pop3
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <6645.1045341423@lina.aaanime.net>
USER pmak
+OK
PASS *****
+OK
Re: POP3: unable to scan $HOME/Maildir? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 02:09:28PM -0700, Giam Teck Choon wrote:
> Try to increase the softlimit for pop3d which is found in your pop3d
> run script such as /var/qmail/service/pop3d/run (for e.g.):
>
> blah... softlimit -m 2000000 to higher value.

Thanks; I increased the limit to 5000000 and it worked. It turns out
the user had 5955 messages in his mailbox, which was exceeding the
older limit of 2000000.