developing python modules? Thanks!

Regards,
Peng
Re: python module development workflow [ In reply to ]
In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1cebc78@m13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> writes:

> It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.

It's unclear what you are asking.

How to develop your own modules?

How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

How to install modules that other people have developed?

Re: python module development workflow [ In reply to ]
On Apr 11, 10:25 am, John Gordon <gor...@panix.com> wrote:
> In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1ceb...@m13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> > development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.
>
> It's unclear what you are asking.
>
> How to develop your own modules?
>
> How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?

I'm asking these two questions.
Re: python module development workflow [ In reply to ]
I'd start with http://docs.python.org/distutils/index.html
Re: python module development workflow [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/2012 1:04 PM, Miki Tebeka wrote:
>> Could any expert suggest an authoritative and complete guide for
>> developing python modules? Thanks!
> I'd start with http://docs.python.org/distutils/index.html

Make sure that

python setup.py build
python setup.py install

works.

Don't use the "rotten egg" distribution system.
(http://packages.python.org/distribute/easy_install.html)

John Nagle

Re: python module development workflow [ In reply to ]
On Apr 11, 8:38 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 10:25 am, John Gordon <gor...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > In <2900f481-fbe9-4da3-a7ca-5485d1ceb...@m13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> Peng Yu <pengyu...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > It is confusing to me what the best workflow is for python module
> > > development. There is setup.py, egg. Also, pip, easy_install.
>
> > It's unclear what you are asking.
>
> > How to develop your own modules?
>
> > How to package and distribute your own modules once they're finished?
>
> I'm asking these two questions.

You need to ask these two questions separately.

For the first you'll get good answers here if you can be more
specific.

The second is a good question which will not get useful answers
because python's package and distribute system(s) are in a flux. In
all fairness this is so for most languages which have as bad messes in
this domain. eg Haskell's cabal
http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/haskells-own-dll-hell/
http://ivanmiljenovic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/repeat-after-me-cabal-is-not-a-package-manager/