(notice the comma):
a[5:,] *= -1

The Python version is 2.5.1, and Numeric is the latest version 24.2.
Re: Python/Numeric users be aware! [ In reply to ]
Confirmed

Re: Python/Numeric users be aware! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Benyang <benyang22@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Python version is 2.5.1, and Numeric is the latest version 24.2.

While 24.2 is the latest version of Numeric, it's also three years old
and no longer supported. From http://numpy.scipy.org/ - "Numeric was
the first arrayobject built for Python. It has been quite successful
and is used in a wide variety of settings and applications.
Maintenance has ceased for Numeric, and users should transisition to
NumPy as quickly as possible."

So, you are unlikely to find anyone to do bug fixes on Numeric.

--
Jerry
Re: Python/Numeric users be aware! [ In reply to ]
At 2008-10-29T17:53:43Z, Benyang <benyang22@gmail.com> writes:

> It is totally screwed up on 64-bit linux machines:
> [1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1]

And on 64-bit FreeBSD machines.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Day Companies
Re: Python/Numeric users be aware! [ In reply to ]
I also found that the a[5:] problem is Python version dependent.

On a 64-bit linux, of the following combinations I have tried, only
the first one has the problem. The other two are ok.
* Python 2.5.1 and Numeric 24.2
* Python 2.4.5 and Numeric 24.2
* Python 2.3.7 and Numeric 24.2

Re: Python/Numeric users be aware! [ In reply to ]
Benyang Tang wrote:
> I also found that the a[5:] problem is Python version dependent.
>
> On a 64-bit linux, of the following combinations I have tried, only
> the first one has the problem. The other two are ok.
> * Python 2.5.1 and Numeric 24.2
> * Python 2.4.5 and Numeric 24.2
> * Python 2.3.7 and Numeric 24.2

Python 2.5.1 introduced the use of Py_ssize_t for indices. Previously, those
functions took C ints. Numeric 24.2 predates Python 2.5 substantially.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco