Mailing List Archive

OT: Other fun contribution [was: Python-Announce floods and delays]
Jonathan Goble writes:

> As for me, I'll continue to lurk and learn as I continue my sophomore
> year as a college student majoring in computer science, with hopes of
> becoming more active in contributing to Python as I gain more
> experience and skills.

Evidently you have ambition to acquire a "commit bit". That's a
worthy goal (heaven knows we need more reviewers!), but there are
plenty of other ways to contribute. Some of the obvious ones (like
documentation and teaching) may not be your thing, but there's
probably a PyCon or Python meetup near you. Especially for the larger
ones, there are all kinds of "social volunteer" tasks, such as swag
bag stuffing and registration desk, where even an hour or so of
contribution is appreciated and you can interact with other people who
are there for the same reasons you are. (Beware: volunteering can be
addictive, and you may find yourself running for PSF Board before you
know it!)

"Contribution" doesn't have to involve "skills" or deskwork, and
everyone can find ways that are lots of fun for them!

Steve
Re: OT: Other fun contribution [was: Python-Announce floods and delays] [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:35 AM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Jonathan Goble writes:
>
> > As for me, I'll continue to lurk and learn as I continue my sophomore
> > year as a college student majoring in computer science, with hopes of
> > becoming more active in contributing to Python as I gain more
> > experience and skills.
>
> Evidently you have ambition to acquire a "commit bit". That's a
> worthy goal (heaven knows we need more reviewers!),

Ha, I don't have any kind of grand ambitions like that (at least not
yet). To date I've contributed exactly one commit, that being a
trivial typo fix in a PEP. My real goal is get to the point in a year
or two where I can periodically contribute non-trivial code to fix
real bugs and such, but I'm going through a major transition right now
(graduating community college and transferring to a four-year
university next month) and don't have the spare time to wade in
currently. I also haven't taken any real computer courses yet other
than a basic freshman-level Java sequence, so my general skills are
lacking, but this upcoming academic year is when I will get elbow-deep
in the more advanced courses, including algorithms, so once I settle
in to the university over the next few months I plan to try to
contribute more.

> but there are
> plenty of other ways to contribute. Some of the obvious ones (like
> documentation and teaching) may not be your thing, but there's
> probably a PyCon or Python meetup near you. Especially for the larger
> ones, there are all kinds of "social volunteer" tasks, such as swag
> bag stuffing and registration desk, where even an hour or so of
> contribution is appreciated and you can interact with other people who
> are there for the same reasons you are.

I cannot afford a lot of travel, and as a college student, I have
limited dates to do so. For example, this year's PyCon was
inaccessible to me despite living "nearby" in Southwest Ohio partially
because of inability to afford gas and a hotel, but more importantly,
because it was held during final exam week. Next year's PyCon, a
similar distance away, will be during the last week of classes before
final exams, so I can't attend it either. I wish I could, but the
schedules don't work. From a financial perspective, even a single
night in a hotel is something I have to plan and budget for at least a
month or two in advance.

> (Beware: volunteering can be
> addictive, and you may find yourself running for PSF Board before you
> know it!)

The day that happens will be the day hell freezes over. :P

> "Contribution" doesn't have to involve "skills" or deskwork, and
> everyone can find ways that are lots of fun for them!
>
> Steve

What's fun for me is writing code. ;) When I have the free time (which
isn't much lately), I like to play around with writing random personal
projects, a couple of which I have published rough betas to PyPI (that
probably have been downloaded by nobody except me). I need to find
time between semesters to sit down and polish some of them up to
create a portfolio for internship applications, and I'm sure that the
next year of college will help me improve the quality significantly.

That said, if I could get to a PyCon or other meetup (which is a
function of both money and scheduling), I would be more than willing
to sign up for a volunteer shift. The difficulty is getting there
without disrupting my education or breaking the bank.