Mailing List Archive

[perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build
On Sun Feb 18 01:05:26 2001, Peter@PSDT.com wrote:

How?

---
via perlbug: queue: perl5 status: stalled
Re: [perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 04:03:17AM -0700, Brian Fraser via RT wrote:
> On Sun Feb 18 01:05:26 2001, Peter@PSDT.com wrote:
> >

> How?

Anything that loads a non in-lib core module?

# just an example, Imager isn't suitable for PERL5OPT -M
$ ./Configure -des -Dusedevel && PERL5OPT=-MImager make -j3
cc -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -o miniperl \
perlmini.o opmini.o miniperlmain.o gv.o toke.o perly.o pad.o regcomp.o dump.o util.o mg.o reentr.o mro.o keywords.o hv.o av.o run.o pp_hot.o sv.o pp.o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o doio.o regexec.o utf8.o taint.o deb.o universal.o globals.o perlio.o perlapi.o numeric.o mathoms.o locale.o pp_pack.o pp_sort.o -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
./miniperl -w -Ilib -MExporter -e '<?>' || make minitest
Can't locate Imager.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Perhaps there's a less ridiculous option that causes a build failure.

Tony
Re: [perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 10:02:55AM +1000, Tony Cook wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 04:03:17AM -0700, Brian Fraser via RT wrote:
> > On Sun Feb 18 01:05:26 2001, Peter@PSDT.com wrote:
> > >

> > How?
>
> Anything that loads a non in-lib core module?
>
> # just an example, Imager isn't suitable for PERL5OPT -M
> $ ./Configure -des -Dusedevel && PERL5OPT=-MImager make -j3
> cc -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -o miniperl \
> perlmini.o opmini.o miniperlmain.o gv.o toke.o perly.o pad.o regcomp.o dump.o util.o mg.o reentr.o mro.o keywords.o hv.o av.o run.o pp_hot.o sv.o pp.o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o doio.o regexec.o utf8.o taint.o deb.o universal.o globals.o perlio.o perlapi.o numeric.o mathoms.o locale.o pp_pack.o pp_sort.o -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc
> ./miniperl -w -Ilib -MExporter -e '<?>' || make minitest
> Can't locate Imager.pm in @INC (@INC contains: lib .).
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>
> Perhaps there's a less ridiculous option that causes a build failure.

Likely. But your example suggests to me that *mini*perl should ignore all of
these, as they aren't* used by the build process, and that the invocations for
./perl should explicitly clear them all.

(Which isn't too hard actually, as ./perl is, or should be, invoked
consistently throughout the Makefile with a macro that sets up
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH" etc)

If this idea seems sane, an no-one else beats me to it, I'll try to do it in
the next couple of months.

Nicholas Clark

* I should check this :-)
Re: [perl #5844] [5.7.0] PERL5OPT messes with build [ In reply to ]
:
:Likely. But your example suggests to me that *mini*perl should ignore all of
:these, as they aren't* used by the build process, and that the invocations for
:./perl should explicitly clear them all.
:
:(Which isn't too hard actually, as ./perl is, or should be, invoked
:consistently throughout the Makefile with a macro that sets up
:"LD_LIBRARY_PATH" etc)
:
:If this idea seems sane, an no-one else beats me to it, I'll try to do it in
:the next couple of months.

I think by "should ignore all of these" you're saying "ignore anything in
PERL5OPT" (or possibly "PERL5OPT and friends").

If so, please consider whether it is worth providing a mechanism to specify
the value to use for PERL5OPT (resp. "... and friends") for the miniperl
build as a get-out clause.

I do not have a use for this myself, so I do not request it; but I imagine,
should it be of use, it would be easier to make that change now than to try
and restore the facility in a user-controllable form later.

Hugo