Mailing List Archive

[perl #7747] <> vs <STDIN> is OS specific

> I wrote a simple STDIN inline filter that puts a command in
> the path of STDIN. It sends STDIN to open2, and then takes the
> output of that and dups it back to STDIN.
>
> When I then read from <> (as opposed to <STDIN>), I get nothing
> on a linux box (tested with 5.005, 5.004, 5.6.0 and 5.6.1), but
> it works fine on other OS (at least Solaris).

I ran the attached program, commenting out first one 'while' loop and
then the other, on both Darwin and Linux, with Perl 5.14. In all cases,
the program simply hung; none of the 'print' statements ever materialized.

So either I misunderstood what I was supposed to be doing, or the
program still does not work. Should it have?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
Re: [perl #7747] <> vs <STDIN> is OS specific [ In reply to ]
"James E Keenan via RT" <perlbug-followup@perl.org> writes:

> I ran the attached program, commenting out first one 'while' loop and
> then the other, on both Darwin and Linux, with Perl 5.14. In all cases,
> the program simply hung; none of the 'print' statements ever materialized.

It works here as expected (both 'while' variants).

Perl 5.12 and 5.14 on Fedora 14.

-- Johan
Re: [perl #7747] <> vs <STDIN> is OS specific [ In reply to ]
* Father Chrysostomos via RT <perlbug-followup@perl.org> [2012-04-28T03:29:25]
> Do we mark this as stalled, as no one can reproduce it, or resolved,
> since later versions work and we assume something was fixed? (I’m
> following the latter.)

For the record: resolved. "stalled" is "this is definitely a bug we want to
work on but we can't make progress until _____"

--
rjbs