Mailing List Archive

nova add-floating-ip fails
I can do the following on the command line consistently, and get the same
results. I have no idea why this is failing, either.

1. get an instance running, log works, vnc works
2. nova floating-ip-create
3. nova add-floating-ip <UUID of instance> <ip address from step 2>

When I then look at "nova show <UUID of instance>", the ip address from
step 2 will not be shown. It will not appear in the GUI, either.

If I log into the node, and use "nova-manage floating list", it will show
the IP as having been assigned to that instance. If I manually assign an IP
from the web GUI, it will work (same credentials, by the way). But from the
command line it fails. I can't ping the address, can't ssh to it, and the
instance itself never sees it.

Host OS: Ubuntu 12.04
openstack-dashboard 2012.1-0ubuntu8.1
openstack-dashboard-ubuntu-t 2012.1-0ubuntu8.1
nova-api 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-cert 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-common 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-compute 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-compute-kvm 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-consoleauth 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-doc 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-network 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-objectstore 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-scheduler 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-vncproxy 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
nova-volume 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
python-nova 2012.1-0ubuntu2.1
python-novaclient 2012.1-0ubuntu1

nova.conf: (with sensitive IPs obscured)

--dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
--dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
--logdir=/var/log/nova
--state_path=/var/lib/nova
--lock_path=/var/lock/nova
--allow_admin_api=true
--use_deprecated_auth=false
--auth_strategy=keystone
--scheduler_driver=nova.scheduler.simple.SimpleScheduler
--s3_host=X.X.X.X
--ec2_host=X.X.X.X
--rabbit_host=X.X.X.X
--cc_host=X.X.X.X
--nova_url=http://X.X.X.X:8774/v1.1/
--routing_source_ip=X.X.X.X
--glance_api_servers=X.X.X.X:9292
--image_service=nova.image.glance.GlanceImageService
--iscsi_ip_prefix=192.168.68
--sql_connection=mysql://nova:password@localhost/nova
--ec2_url=http://X.X.X.X:8773/services/Cloud
--keystone_ec2_url=http://X.X.X.X:5000/v2.0/ec2tokens
--api_paste_config=/etc/nova/api-paste.ini
--libvirt_type=kvm
--libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=true
--start_guests_on_host_boot=true
--resume_guests_state_on_host_boot=true
--novnc_enable=true
--novncproxy_base_url=http://X.X.X.X:6080/vnc_auto.html (obscured)
--vncserver_proxyclient_address=127.0.0.1
--vncserver_listen=127.0.0.1

# Without Quantum :
--network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
--network_host=X.X.X.X

# With Quantum :
#--network_manager=nova.network.quantum.manager.QuantumManager
#--linuxnet_interface_driver=nova.network.linux_net.LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver
#--quantum_use_dhcp=True

--public_interface=eth0
--flat_interface=eth1
--flat_network_bridge=br0
--fixed_range=10.0.0.0/24
#--auto_assign_floating_ip
--floating_range=X.X.X.X/X (obscured)
--network_size=256
--flat_injected=False
--force_dhcp_release
--iscsi_helper=tgtadm
--connection_type=libvirt
--root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap
--verbose

Re: nova add-floating-ip fails [ In reply to ]
It may not be relevant here, but I ran into a problem where I had two nova-network services running on two different boxes and it had a similar affect. Things mostly worked except the floating-ip stuff only sometimes worked.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: nova add-floating-ip fails [ In reply to ]
Sorry Kevin, only sent to you. Re-sending to the list.

On Thu, 10 May 2012 11:49:13 -0700, "Fox, Kevin M" <kevin.fox@pnnl.gov>
wrote:
> It may not be relevant here, but I ran into a problem where I had two
> nova-network services running on two different boxes and it had a
similar
> affect. Things mostly worked except the floating-ip stuff only sometimes
> worked.
In this case, it's only one machine, so that's not it.

It's also 100% reproducible. If I use the web interface, then it works. If
I use the command line, it doesn't.

To be fair, it's a little more precise than that, and might have something
specific to do with my configuration (and I don't even know it). When I go
through the web, I notice that "nova-manage floating list" shows all
allocated IPs as belonging to the demo project. When I use the command
line, they belong to the admin project. Not sure if that helps at all.
Re: nova add-floating-ip fails [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 May 2012 14:57:42 -0400, <mpedersen@choopa.com> wrote:
> It's also 100% reproducible. If I use the web interface, then it works.
If
> I use the command line, it doesn't.
>
> To be fair, it's a little more precise than that, and might have
something
> specific to do with my configuration (and I don't even know it). When I
go
> through the web, I notice that "nova-manage floating list" shows all
> allocated IPs as belonging to the demo project. When I use the command
> line, they belong to the admin project. Not sure if that helps at all.

Further experimentation has shown me that it's not just the admin user: No
tenant *other* than the demo tenant can successfully assign an IP. The GUI
claims it works, the command line claims it works, "nova-manager floating
list" says it works, but the IP address is never successfully assigned.

I'll admit that I'm trying to avoid code diving, but it's starting to look
necessary. Any suggestions before I do?