without subnets?

i created the network without subnet and no problem there, but when i try
to create/boot i get the error

Error: Network 2a5a6826-f9df-4767-8885-21d92541fddc requires a subnet in
order to boot instances on. (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
req-8465b8d2-c066-4699-bc1e-5307c6fd95c0)

Cheers,
Tiago
Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
Hi,

can you please elaborate?

Ty

Cumprimentos,
Tiago Sousa

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
Hi,

does anyone have been through anything similar to this?

Cumprimentos,
Tiago Sousa

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
I believe Openstack has not been developed like that. Can you tell more
about why you would like to do it?

@Remo Mattei
I am unaware of how to use provider network to achieve this. Can you please
give us some leads.

Thank you,
Ageeleshwar K

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I think it "should" be possible but im not aware yet on how to get it
working.

For instance, if I would like to create some cisco csr1000v instances, and
connect them. I would like to manage the subnet info on the instance side
and not on neutron/nova network.

Thanks.
Tiago

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
Hi Tiago,

I’m not sure if I’m following… Are you trying to create L2 network with Neutron and then handle the L3 from within the instance?

If that is so… there is no good way how to do it as far as I can tell. At least no until Juno release as I was told…

Even with Provider network, Neutron will still want to “manage the L3 on the part of the subnet”. Normally you can work with it, but considering you are trying to run virtual switches, I can see it can be difficult.
I guess best you can do, is “hack” the IP/MAC anti-spoofing protection, let neutron to create subnet, assign an IP for the port, and then simply ignore it (since it is not enforced anymore). I’m still not sure how it will work in your case.

Cheers,
Marek

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Tiago Sousa <tiagu.asp@gmail.com<mailto:tiagu.asp@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,

does anyone have been through anything similar to this?

Cumprimentos,
Tiago Sousa

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Tiago Sousa <tiagu.asp@gmail.com<mailto:tiagu.asp@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi,

can you please elaborate?

Ty

Cumprimentos,
Tiago Sousa

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! Greatly apreciated.

But do you know what will change with juno?

What will be implemented that would allow me to do this?

Cheers,
Tiago

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
@Akilesh:
Well is there any way you can do it?
Please let me know, because all I was able to come up with was disable anti-spoofing and ignore neutron.
I would love to have L2 only networking available just have no idea how to implement it at the moment. Right now all those provider networks are rather pain in the ***.

@Akilesh, Tiago:
I don’t know/remember any specifics, but I was talking to Mark McClain last month in Budapest, and he told me that there will be possibility to create networks (or maybe ports?) and selectively choose if you want to enable only L2, or L3 as well.
This is not possible as the moment I believe, since every port is bound to fixed IP, which is part of subnet.

I know these information are pretty vague, but you know… 3minute chit-chat during the conference…
Anyway, we could probably go through blueprints, and find something there.

Marek

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
I had suggested Tiago to use the api instead of horizon to create a port
with no subnet info and use it to launch an instance but looks like I was
wrong. I get an error 'Port requires FixedIP in order to be used. I did not
expect that. Sorry.

Re: [openstack] instances without subnet [ In reply to ]
If I understand what you are attempting to do correctly it is possible in nova-network but not Neutron. This is the outstanding patch to correct/allow this behaviour in Neutron:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59578/

-Steve