Mailing List Archive

Manually attaching iSCSI volume to an instance
Hi,

I believe I am a "victim" of this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1001088 ( I can not seem to find
the fix that was committed )

After rebooting my volumes are not restored and they become stuck in
the "in-use" state.

Is there a way to manually restore the volumes? Using tgt-admin I
verified that the target exists, I used iscsiadm to login, and
verified that created a device node. Here is a log showing what I
just mentioned:
http://paste2.org/p/2101666

And here is a document I created showing my general setup, including
nova.conf. (I didn't include glance, or keystone configs because they
seem to be working fine):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pkwGa22OfATp62hVGYR3jWTEbhQVyHIpwOJgaSrbQ7M/edit

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Sam

Re: Manually attaching iSCSI volume to an instance [ In reply to ]
We ran into this issue as well and just patched a fix into our
distribution. Basically, the patch will re-establish iSCSI connections
anytime an instance is hard rebooted. The Nova configuration option
"start_guests_on_host_boot" ultimately results in executing the same code
as a hard reboot, which is why we opted to patch it into that function.

I've attached a copy of the patch to my response, which should apply
cleanly to stable/essex. I'm planning to submit the patch upstream, since
I do not see a fix for it anywhere, even in Folsom.

Please let me know if this fixes the issue for you.
---
Rafi Khardalian
Vice President, Operations | Metacloud, Inc.
Email: rafi@metacloud.com | Tel: 855-638-2256, Ext. 2662

Re: Manually attaching iSCSI volume to an instance [ In reply to ]
This patch would be most welcome.

Vish

Re: Manually attaching iSCSI volume to an instance [ In reply to ]
Great -- I just submitted it for stable/essex and will do the same for
Folsom once I can test it.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11303/

---