Michael Fork
Cloud Architect, Emerging Solutions
IBM Systems & Technology Group
Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
Partially developed. This probably isn't much use, but I'll throw it out there: http://comstud.com/cells.pdf

ATM the messy code speaks for itself here:

https://github.com/comstud/nova/tree/cells_service

The basic architecture is:

Top level cell with API service has DB, rabbit, and the nova-cells service. API's compute_api_class is overridden to use a new class that shoves every action on an instance into the nova-cells service, telling it which cell to route the request to based on instance['cell_name']. The nova-cells service routes the request to correct cell as requested… 1 hop at a time to the nova-cells service in each child.

(Each child runs this new nova-cells service also)

If nova-cells service gets a message destined for itself, it'll call the appropriate compute_api call in the child.

DB updates are hooked in the child and pushed up to parent cells.

New instance creation is slightly different. API will create the DB entry up front… and pass the uuid and all of the same data to the nova-cells service, which will pick a cell for the instance. When it is decided to use the 'current cell' in some child, it will create the DB entry there as well… push a notification upward… and cast the message over to the host scheduler (current scheduler). And the build continues as normal from there (host is picked, and message is casted to the host, etc).

There's some code to sync instances in case of lost DB updates.. but there's improvements to make yet..

Sorry… that's very quick. I'm going to be AFK for a couple days..

- Chris

Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
That's a good question. I'm also interested in an update on cells. How
is progress on cells going? Is there a blueprint for it? Is it
targeted to a folsom milestone?

Thanks,

Nate

Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 15:13 PM, Chris Behrens wrote:

> Partially developed. This probably isn't much use, but I'll throw it out there: http://comstud.com/cells.pdf

We're going to have to sync once more on removing _to_server calls from the RPC layer.

With the matchmaker upstream now, we should be able to use this to provide N-broker support to the AMQP drivers, although we'd need to work this into ampq.py. Also, since the design summit, I should note the code has moved in the direction of providing a Bindings/Exchanges metaphor, which I hope should be easier to digest from the perspective of the queue-server buffs.

Let me know when you're ready to have a chat about it, it might do better to do this on the phone or IRC than by email.

--
Eric Windisch

Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
+1 here.

I am also highly interested in an update on cells implementation since the
last design summit.
I have not seen any blueprints nor implementation progress update from the
community.

We have been reviewing all the cell related docs and info. and have been
trying to make potential reference use cases.
It will be super helpful if someone directs me to any kinds of update
regarding cell.
Thanks in advance.

--
*Jaesuk Ahn*, Ph.D.
Team Leader | Cloud OS Dev. Team

Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
Sorry about this. I've had other priorities at Rackspace lately, but I have a functioning implementation that I can hope to start to merge ASAP.

I'm on vacation for a couple days, so I can provide a better update on Monday.

Re: Nova Cells [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

What happens to notifications to other compute servers that are generated as side effect of VM creation a result of using the IPtables firewall driver ? Are they somehow propagated to other Cells, or is there something that keeps all VMs in a particular security group within a Cell ?

I looked in the doc and code, but I couldn't see anything that seems to indicate either way.

Thanks
Phil