Mailing List Archive

ex vstp and cisco pvst
Hi All

We have a layer 2 ring consists of 7 cisco 3750 ME switches terminated on
two juniper EX4200 switches (EX-Primary) and (EX-Backup); the backhaul from
EX-Primary to our HQ is fiber, while we are using a backup microwave link
from EX-Backup to HQ. we have configured vstp on both EX switches and we
have increased the link costs on the backup EX in order to block the port on
the backup EX so that the traffic goes to primary EX and then through the
fiber link to HQ. we have checked the that ports are blocked from the backup
EX,,and everything is working as it should be.

The problem is once we configure vstp on the EX switches we see the cpu
utilization reached 100% for a short period of time and then every things
goes fine, another thing we've noticed suddenly when there is a topology
change in the network the EX malfunction for a short period of time and then
gets back to normal operation !!!!

We are using pvst on the cisco switches.switch port trunk allowed vlan
11,12,13 , etc. is configured on the cisco trunk port

Vlan 1 is not configured on the juniper switches.vstp vlan all is configured
on the juniper switch

The question is:

Shall we configure vlan1 on the juniper switches and put it as a native vlan
on the trunk port facing the cisco switches and also on the trunk port
connecting the two juniper switches?

Shall we configure rapid pvst on the cisco switches instead of normal pvst?

Any better ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Mohammad Salbad

Re: ex vstp and cisco pvst [ In reply to ]
Hi there, If I remember correctly, vlan1 do not works well between C and J.
due to mac address mismatches in BPDU.
Use edge ports on acess ports to prevent unwanted calculations, Use
spanning tree pathcost method long on cisco to adjust costs. And use rapid
pvst on Cisco.
HTH.

Regards,
Misha

Re: ex vstp and cisco pvst [ In reply to ]
Hi,

There could be an guide for this:

http://www.google.sk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&
url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.juniper.net%2Fus%2Fen%2Flocal%2Fpdf%2Fimplementation-gu
ides%2F8010002-en.pdf&ei=ajyFT4aeNcfk4QTu8PXFBw&usg=AFQjCNFYjlui3rxm97ebrago
mLGvG8UNWg&sig2=NS2-vPa6wlGM5ze6sncdBA

---
Ing. Jozef Klaèko
Network Administrator
JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-SSL

KOREX networks, s.r.o.
Dolné Rudiny 1/A,
010 01 ®ilina
Slovak republic

cell: +421 917 575 004, tel: +421 41 5555 234, fax: +421 41 5555 218
e-mail: jozef.klacko@korex.sk, web: http://www.korex.sk/

Internet Zilina a okolie : hotline@korex.sk
Financne oddelenie : servis@korex.sk