Mailing List Archive

how to create new delegation record for IPV6.
HI!

I am unable to create one AAAA record against www and one new delegation
record against www with same IP (IPV4)

Second Q.. how to create new delegation record for IPV6.

My DNS server is running on W2K3.

Please HELP!

Regards

Omdutt

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Thank you

RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
> My DNS server is running on W2K3.
>
> Please HELP!
>
> Regards
> Omdutt

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

that fixes everything.
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
George Bonser пишет:
>> My DNS server is running on W2K3.
>>
>> Please HELP!
>>
>> Regards
>> Omdutt
>>

> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
>
> that fixes everything.

You know,there could be streight unpleasant reasons for Win DNS server
implementation in corporate infrastructure (especially enterprise) even
for people who maintains 'it'. Not many companies can allow Mac X Server
and according user environment and much more easy to find people in MS
competence.

--
~~ Don't hesitate to make High Grade, just communicate! ~~
Dmitry Samko
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Dmitry Samko <dmitry.samko@gmail.com> writes:

> much more easy to find people in MS competence.

As demonstrated by this thread.

Bjørn
RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
HI!BJ

So u didn't understands my MS thread can u create 'A' and NS record with
WWW.

Have cuts to solve this issue....

Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
On 16/02/2012, at 12.17, omdutt wrote:

> HI!BJ
>
> So u didn't understands my MS thread can u create 'A' and NS record with
> WWW.
>
> Have cuts to solve this issue....

You have budgets to solve this issue?

then you just neeed too fiiind some MS certified minesweeper consultant ....

Best regards

Henrik

--
Henrik Lund Kramshøj, Follower of the Great Way of Unix
hlk@kramse.org hlk@solidonetworks.com
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
"omdutt" <omdutt.sharma@mca.gov.in> writes:

> HI!BJ
>
> So u didn't understands my MS thread can u create 'A' and NS record with
> WWW.

That's correct.

I did not understand what could possibly be difficult enough about
common DNS server adminstration tasks to require asking someone outside
your office. I did not understand what steps you already had tried to
solve your problem. And I did not understand why you were yelling
"help".

Now there is always the possibility that this is just me. But I would
like to point you to http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
anyway.

Bjørn
RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
name like www........
I am not expecting reply who don't understand DNS .....i can imagine how
much u know abt DNS

Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
"omdutt" <omdutt.sharma@mca.gov.in> writes:

> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
> name like www........

Then the answer is yes.

> I am not expecting reply who don't understand DNS .....i can imagine how
> much u know abt DNS

Fantastic. Must be a nice ability to have.

Bjørn
RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Yes I have that

> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
> name like www........

Then the answer is yes.

Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:36:08AM +0530, omdutt wrote:
> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
> name like www........

It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.

For IPv6, you want AAAA+A, though, not NS.

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Gert Doering <gert@space.net> writes:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:36:08AM +0530, omdutt wrote:
>> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
>> name like www........
>
> It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.

No I'm confused. You're sure you're not thinking CNAMEs now?

For example:

bjorn@nemi:~$ dig any space.net @ns.space.net

[snip]

;; ANSWER SECTION:
space.net. 14400 IN SOA ns.space.net. hostmaster.space.net. 2012021701 28800 3600 864000 43200
space.net. 14400 IN LOC 48 11 6.000 N 11 36 11.000 E 530.00m 1m 10000m 10m
space.net. 14400 IN AAAA 2001:608:0:9::1
space.net. 14400 IN A 194.97.129.8
space.net. 300 IN MX 100 gatekeeper.space.net.
space.net. 300 IN MX 100 gatekeeper.spacenet.de.
space.net. 300 IN MX 50 workaround.space.net.
space.net. 14400 IN NS ns5.DNS.space.net.
space.net. 14400 IN NS ns.space.net.
space.net. 14400 IN NS ns3.DNS.space.net.
space.net. 14400 IN NS ns4.DNS.space.net.

Looks like you've got A and NS and a few others there just fine.

Bjørn
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
On 17 Feb 2012, at 12:11, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:36:08AM +0530, omdutt wrote:
>> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with
>> same Host
>> name like www........
>
> It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.

Brainfart there, I'm afraid. You can't have CNAME and any other record.

Sam (one of hostmaster@ed.ac.uk)

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 02:04:47PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Gert Doering <gert@space.net> writes:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:36:08AM +0530, omdutt wrote:
> >> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
> >> name like www........
> >
> > It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.
>
> No I'm confused. You're sure you're not thinking CNAMEs now?

Well, I was a bit less than clear, indeed.

In the delegating zone (which would be .net in the space.net case),
you can't have anything but "NS" records if you do a zone delegation.

(Plus glue, if the listed name servers are part of the same zone, like
"ns.space.net" here).

Inside the delegated zone, you can have both.

Now, since the original poster is asking for "NS and A for 'www'",
I'm fairly sure he's not trying to delegate a subzone "www" somewhere
else, but even if he is, NS+A won't be permitted in the parent zone.

OTOH, the original poster isn't even getting his terminology straight,
if you look at the question in the Subject: "how to create a new
delegation record for IPv6" - as delegation and IPv6 are completely
unrelated, it's not exactly clear to me what he's trying to achieve
(and thus it's a bit hard to tell him which buttons to click).

Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
On 17/02/12 13:04, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Gert Doering<gert@space.net> writes:
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:36:08AM +0530, omdutt wrote:
>>> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record with same Host
>>> name like www........
>>
>> It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.
>
> No I'm confused. You're sure you're not thinking CNAMEs now?

This whole thread is confusing ;o)

It's not clear what the original poster wanted to do. But on the subject
of NS records, it's important to bear in mind that they exist in two
places, serving different rules:

1. In the parent zone, marking a delegation i.e. NOT at the apex of
the zone. In this case, although many nameservers will allow you to
create other records with the same name (and even child names - useful
for pre-populating when you're about to remove a zone cut) they will
normally be "masked" i.e. never returned in response to queries.

That is - the non-apex NS record marks a delegation and causes the
nameserver to refer the querying client. Special handling exists for
certain child names (glue A) and other RR types at the same name (DS
records in DNSSEC). But normally, a non-apex NS record masks other
records at or below that name.

2. In the child zone, at the apex. Obviously these can exist alongside
other records, including the (mandatory) SOA.

I *think* the original poster wanted to do this:

server1:

name.test.com. NS server2.test.com
name.test.com. A 192.0.2.1

server2:

name.test.com. AAAA 2001:db8::1

...presumably because server1 isn't capable of loading a AAAA into the zone?

This doesn't really work, because the NS record at server1 will mask the
A record, at least on common nameserver implementations. It will
probably trigger all kinds of other brokenness too.

There are solutions, such as the "unbound" nameserver and local-data
directives, but I would strongly advise against this.

Note that CNAMEs are indeed mutually exclusive with all other records
EXCEPT the DNSSEC RRSIG and NSEC/NSEC3 records. However, there are
*also* nameservers that do not honour this restriction. Such nameservers
are broken, and lead to inconsistent results.

Finally: I would advise omdutt to do two things:

1. Find a more appropriate forum for his question; specifically,
something related to nameserver operation questions, ideally for the
software he's actually running.

2. Re-state his question, being more precise about what he wants to
do, because the current question is just confusing.
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
On 17/02/12 13:22, Phil Mayers wrote:

> places, serving different rules:

Sigh.

"roles", of course...
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Gert Doering <gert@space.net> writes:

> OTOH, the original poster isn't even getting his terminology straight,
> if you look at the question in the Subject: "how to create a new
> delegation record for IPv6" - as delegation and IPv6 are completely
> unrelated, it's not exactly clear to me what he's trying to achieve
> (and thus it's a bit hard to tell him which buttons to click).

Exactly. And that's why I tried to help him by listing which parts of
his original question which were unclear, and by pointing to a document
which describes how to solve that problem and a few others. But he
obviously did not even bother to read it.

This were among the helpful hints in that document:

Spelling "you" as "u" makes you look like a semi-literate boob to save
two entire keystrokes.

If anyone knows how to help someone who is too lazy to write their
question and too lazy to read the answers they get, then please step
forward now.

Bjørn
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
>> My Q is simple can it possible to create NS and 'A' record
>> with same Host name like www........
>
> It is not. You can not have NS and any other records, period.

I don't think that's true. I think you were thinking of CNAME
records, which cannot share the owner name with any other record type.
NS records (which are located in the authoritative instance at the
zone apex) can however share the owner name (= zone name) with both A
and AAAA records.

Regards,

- Håvard
Re: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
If (and I am not sure if I do understand) I understand your question, NS
records can be host names, A records by defination need to be IPv4
addresses. WWW can A or cname or AAAA records.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Hey Bjorn I am sorry if I heart you(u) by any mean
Thank you what ever help you have provided

RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
Lets make the query simple..How to create NS record for IPV6 on Windows 2003
server.

Re: RE: how to create new delegation record for IPV6. [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 Feb 2012 11:18:33 omdutt wrote:
> Lets make the query simple..How to create NS record for IPV6 on Windows
> 2003 server.

Since no-one else can be bothered, I'll put you out of your misery.

This mailing list is not intended for such inanely trivial questions - a
cursory search of Google and/or a visit to say... serverfault.com would
provide you with the means to obtain an answer your question.

Regards,
Oliver