Mailing List Archive

1000 localhosts in DNS
Hi,

some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become obsolete as long
on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.

From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.

What should be done?
Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?


Regards,

Thomas


PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143, whois says
"GoDaddy"




--

There’s no place like ::1

Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
On 2011-06-21 22:21 , Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become obsolete as long
> on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.
>
> From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.
>
> What should be done?

Consider it 'their problem'.

> Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
> Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?

Why, obviously they don't care either. Does it hurt you from reaching
something you care about?

> PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143, whois says
> "GoDaddy"

And the reverse of that host states it all what it is about...

143.232.178.68.in-addr.arpa PTR parkwebwin-v03.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net.

Welcome to that nice parked internet....

Greets,
Jeroen
RE: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ipv6-ops-bounces+dwing=cisco.com@lists.cluenet.de [mailto:ipv6-
> ops-bounces+dwing=cisco.com@lists.cluenet.de] On Behalf Of Thomas
> Schäfer
> Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:22 PM
> To: ipv6-ops@lists.cluenet.de
> Subject: 1000 localhosts in DNS
>
> Hi,
>
> some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become obsolete
> as long
> on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.
>
> From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.

I don't know how you chose those 1,000,000 hosts to check. I am checking
against Alexa's list, but my check this morning found only 100 (of
1 million) had ::1 or "::",
http://banjo.employees.org/~dwing/aaaa-stats.html

I like the ones that list "::", too,
# host listingdomains.com
listingdomains.com has address 209.235.241.136
listingdomains.com has IPv6 address ::
listingdomains.com mail is handled by 10 mx1.emailsrvr.com.
but fortunately "::" causes an immediate failure (on clients I tried)
so doesn't slow down access.

> What should be done?
> Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
> Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?

I wouldn't worry about it. I just did DNS A and AAAA queries
using Alexa's list, and found 67 occurrences of IPv6 loopback:
> grep -E " ::1" a-records.txt | wc
67 536 5034

and for IPv4, found 226 occurrences of 127/8, 10/8, and 192.168/16,
which are also all inaccessible:
> grep -E " 127\.| 10\.| 192\.168\." a-records.txt | wc
226 1360 14361

So there is a reasonable amount of brokenness in the DNS --
even among Alexa's top 1 million sites. I have no idea how
or why those sites are on Alexa's list with broken DNS
like that.


I suppose someone could set up a DNS "nanny" service to
email the webmasters or DNS contacts at the offending sites.
But the problem affects bogus records for both A and AAAA;
it isn't exclusively an AAAA problem.

-d


>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
>
>
> PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143,
> whois says
> "GoDaddy"
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> There’s no place like ::1
>
> Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
> Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
> Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
> 80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011, 00:47:56 schrieb Dan Wing:

> I don't know how you chose those 1,000,000 hosts to check. I am checking
> against Alexa's list, but my check this morning found only 100 (of
> 1 million) had ::1 or "::",
>

I used the lists from quantcast and alexa.

Ok, Jeroen Massar satisfied me that it dosn't make sense to contact "parked
internet".


Thomas

> > --
> >
> > There’s no place like ::1
> >
> > Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
> > Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
> > Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
> > Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
> > 80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 07:58:01AM +0200, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011, 00:47:56 schrieb Dan Wing:
>
> > I don't know how you chose those 1,000,000 hosts to check. I am checking
> > against Alexa's list, but my check this morning found only 100 (of
> > 1 million) had ::1 or "::",
> >
>
> I used the lists from quantcast and alexa.
>
> Ok, Jeroen Massar satisfied me that it dosn't make sense to contact "parked
> internet".

Of course, once real users rent those domains, they'll be unreachable
from the Internet - and only visible from the Legacy Internet, until
they correct that.

-is
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
I noticed this the other day with a bunch of domains that my employer has parked with GoDaddy. They control the DNS for parked domains and return an AAAA of ::1 for all parked domains. I called to ask them to remove this for our parked domains and they insisted that it doesn't cause a problem and added that the record can't be removed as they return the same answers for all parked domains.

(My request is currently pending escalation with another group after the frontline and a tech he spoke to insisted that this was intentional and correct behavior)



On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become obsolete as long
> on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.
>
> From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.
>
> What should be done?
> Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
> Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
>
>
> PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143, whois says
> "GoDaddy"
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> There’s no place like ::1
>
> Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
> Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
> Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
> 80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
> <list-AAAA-localhost-sorted.txt.zip>
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
> (My request is currently pending escalation with another group after the frontline and a tech he spoke to insisted that this was intentional and correct behavior)

id10ts :-(
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:30:05PM -0400, Ryan Rawdon wrote:
> (My request is currently pending escalation with another group after
> the frontline and a tech he spoke to insisted that this was
> intentional and correct behavior)

Did they also have an explanation as to why they are doing it?

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
Some time in the past week or two GoDaddy corrected this. I'm curious how many of the 1,000,000 domains originally polled now have their AAAA record of ::1 pulled.


On Jun 23, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Ryan Rawdon wrote:

> I noticed this the other day with a bunch of domains that my employer has parked with GoDaddy. They control the DNS for parked domains and return an AAAA of ::1 for all parked domains. I called to ask them to remove this for our parked domains and they insisted that it doesn't cause a problem and added that the record can't be removed as they return the same answers for all parked domains.
>
> (My request is currently pending escalation with another group after the frontline and a tech he spoke to insisted that this was intentional and correct behavior)
>
>
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become obsolete as long
>> on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.
>>
>> From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.
>>
>> What should be done?
>> Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
>> Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>>
>> PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143, whois says
>> "GoDaddy"
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> There’s no place like ::1
>>
>> Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
>> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
>> Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
>> Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
>> 80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
>> <list-AAAA-localhost-sorted.txt.zip>
>
RE: 1000 localhosts in DNS [ In reply to ]
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ipv6-ops-bounces+dwing=cisco.com@lists.cluenet.de [mailto:ipv6-
> ops-bounces+dwing=cisco.com@lists.cluenet.de] On Behalf Of Ryan Rawdon
> Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 2:05 PM
> To: Ryan Rawdon
> Cc: ipv6-ops@lists.cluenet.de; admin@cis.uni-muenchen.de
> Subject: Re: 1000 localhosts in DNS
>
> Some time in the past week or two GoDaddy corrected this. I'm curious
> how many of the 1,000,000 domains originally polled now have their AAAA
> record of ::1 pulled.

http://banjo.employees.org/~dwing/aaaa-stats.html shows 31 (0.292%) with ::1
on 2011-07-05 (today), versus 97 (1.218%) on 2011-06-22 (a couple of weeks
ago). The offending FQDNs can be seen by clicking through.

Looks like a pretty good change!

-d


>
> On Jun 23, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Ryan Rawdon wrote:
>
> > I noticed this the other day with a bunch of domains that my employer
> has parked with GoDaddy. They control the DNS for parked domains and
> return an AAAA of ::1 for all parked domains. I called to ask them to
> remove this for our parked domains and they insisted that it doesn't
> cause a problem and added that the record can't be removed as they
> return the same answers for all parked domains.
> >
> > (My request is currently pending escalation with another group after
> the frontline and a tech he spoke to insisted that this was intentional
> and correct behavior)
> >
> >
> >
> > On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> some discussions about ipv6- brokeness on client-site become
> obsolete as long
> >> on (web)server-site some people make bad jokes.
> >>
> >> From 1 0000 000 tested sites 1 000 have ::1 in AAAA.
> >>
> >> What should be done?
> >> Hoping somebody reads the list and removes his entries?
> >> Does it make sense to search all webmasters and contact them?
> >>
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Thomas
> >>
> >>
> >> PS: over 90% of the list-entries are also hosted at 68.178.232.143,
> whois says
> >> "GoDaddy"
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> There’s no place like ::1
> >>
> >> Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
> >> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
> >> Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
> >> Schellingstraße 10 Raum J407A
> >> 80799 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706 ℻ +49/89/2180-9701
> >> <list-AAAA-localhost-sorted.txt.zip>
> >