You can read more on RIPE Labs:

http://labs.ripe.net/Members/emileaben/world-ipv6-day-ipv6-eye-chart

The test can be found here: http://ipv6eyechart.ripe.net/

If you have any questions or want to be included in the test, please
contact us at labs at ripe dot net.

Kind Regards,
Mirjam Kuehne
RIPE NCC
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
Anyone else seeing problems getting to the ipv6 version of FreeBSD.org,
IETF.org and a couple of others? My traceroutes die after about 5 hops
somewhere on he.net's network I believe.

Thanks for the nice website. Without these tests I would have never
known we had an issue connecting to some of them via IPv6.

Thanks,
Dan Oachs
Gustavus Adolphus College

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 05/27/2011 03:29 PM, Dan Oachs wrote:
> Anyone else seeing problems getting to the ipv6 version of FreeBSD.org,
> IETF.org and a couple of others? My traceroutes die after about 5 hops
> somewhere on he.net's network I believe.

ietf.org, freebsd.org are reachable. in fact all sites listed on the
eyechart are reachable for me over an he.net tunnel.

historically I have had issues with ietf.org in particular.

btw thanks Mirjam and RIPE for the nice tool.

~matt
RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
No problems here wither with Freebsd,org or ietf.org

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
I think something might be happening on a carrier network. I could reach these sites yesterday but not today. traceroute6 shows a path through my direct ISP but I get admin prohibited from their upstream provider (Sprint I think).

FYI, I'm in Sioux Falls and both of my providers do at least some peering in Minneapolis (at 501?). Not sure but it could be related.
--
Jim Kirby
Director of Engineering

RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
Dan,

Looks like im able to get there through one of my upstreams. Both seem to be going through Cogent for me.

Thanks,
Alan Strand
HickoryTech/Enventis
Mankato, MN

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 5/27/11 12:58 PM, Alan Strand wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Looks like im able to get there through one of my upstreams. Both seem to be going through Cogent for me.

Nifty test site, thanks RIPE folks!

We're natively multi-homed and reach all test sites with no issues via V6.

Suggestion for a page enhancement, perhaps a different icon for each
dual-stacked site as to whether reached v4 or v6, maybe a little number
on the checkbox 4 or 6. I have no clue as to how to implement this or
if it's practical but it would be cool.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay@impulse.net
Impulse Internet Service - http://www.impulse.net/
RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
No issues from here reaching any of those websites:

4 chi-ibx.r1.ord1.isc.org (2001:504:0:4::1280:1) 23.043 ms 23.079 ms
23.110 ms
5 int-0-0-1-8.r1.pao1.isc.org (::ffff:149.20.65.157) 97.179 ms 97.249 ms
97.090 ms
6 gig-2-1-0.r7.pao1.isc.org (2001:4f8:0:1::50:2) 73.410 ms 72.089 ms
72.075 ms
7 ipv6gw-isc.freebsd.org (2001:4f8:0:1::3e:2) 73.037 ms 73.696 ms
73.576 ms
8 red.freebsd.org (2001:4f8:fff6::22) 73.613 ms 74.494 ms 74.570 ms

4 ge-3-1-9-101.tor10.ip6.tinet.net (2001:668:0:3::8000:ad1) 4.031 ms
4.089 ms 4.122 ms
5 xe-11-0-0.chi10.ip6.tinet.net (2001:668:0:2::1:1881) 22.070 ms 22.103
ms 22.136 ms
6 as7018.ip6.tinet.net (2001:668:0:3::8000:dd2) 20.655 ms 18.739 ms
18.806 ms
7 mail.ietf.org (2001:1890:1112:1::1e) 163.382 ms 163.417 ms 163.599 ms

Paul

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 5/27/2011 12:29, Dan Oachs wrote:
> Anyone else seeing problems getting to the ipv6 version of FreeBSD.org,
> IETF.org and a couple of others? My traceroutes die after about 5 hops
> somewhere on he.net's network I believe.
>
> Thanks for the nice website. Without these tests I would have never
> known we had an issue connecting to some of them via IPv6.

Nope; all green for me across the board multihomed with native Sprint
and GC IPv6. Awesome!

~Seth
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the responses. Turns out my issue had to do with Level3
and the Northern Lights GigaPop. They shut down their ipv6 peering with
Level3 and my traffic started taking a working route again.

Also thanks again for the website. Hopefully this will help make IPv6
Day smoother.

Dan Oachs
Gustavus Adolphus College

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
All working here from Australia on native V6.

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
It looks fine in NZ from a dual stack machine (Hexago tunnel
to AARNET), *and* from an IPv4-only machine right next door
on the same NATted LAN.

It would be good to hear from somebody who runs Teredo and
from somebody who runs 6to4.

Regards
Brian Carpenter

RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
That's great -- that's exactly the kind of problem this page help to uncover
so that connectivity issues can be addressed before World IPv6 Day.

Frank

RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks fine in NZ from a dual stack machine (Hexago tunnel
> to AARNET), *and* from an IPv4-only machine right next door
> on the same NATted LAN.
>
> It would be good to hear from somebody who runs Teredo and
> from somebody who runs 6to4.

FWIW, works fine for me on ISATAP, 6RD, and IPv6-only + NAT64 on UMTS
phone... Although, the UMTS test failed on first try for all sites but
succeed on the second try, likely a UMTS specific latency issue for
the initial fetch.

Cameron
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:58:26AM +0200, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> The test can be found here: http://ipv6eyechart.ripe.net/

Very nice.

At home, I can see AfriNIC and Juniper being dead via IPv6, IPv4 is
fine.

www.juniper.net is an alias for juniper.v6day.akadns.net.
juniper.v6day.akadns.net has address 88.221.63.148
juniper.v6day.akadns.net has IPv6 address 2620:103:c003::10

www.afrinic.net has address 196.216.2.1
www.afrinic.net has IPv6 address 2001:42d0::200:2:1

If anyone of them reads here, I'm happy to help troubleshooting.
It might be connected to my recent post here:
http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2011-May/005675.html

Given that www.a10networks.com is broken too, here, I suggest to
add that site to the test page, they also officially take part on that
day.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 27 May 2011 10:58, Mirjam Kuehne <mir@ripe.net> wrote:

> The test can be found here: http://ipv6eyechart.ripe.net/

"For Windows users:
Microsoft made a fix available specifically for 8 June 2011,
please follow instructions in MS Knowledge base article 2533455. Note
that this fix will expire 10 June 2011."

Curious what this special hotfix is about, I went to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454/
There it says:

"The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
your next reboot."

Is it me, or is this very lame?
Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.

--
Dyonisius Visser
System & Networking Engineer
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On May 28, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Dyonisius Visser wrote:

> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?
> Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.

It's nice in that whole "I still have to use the internet for something even if the IT group toasted my internet by letting rogue RAs on a network without real IPv6 on it.

I wonder if our local hospital ever found the source of rogue RA on their patient WIFI network from a year or two ago. It wasn't handing out addresses, just a route. Totally hosed linux anytime you connected to it. I had to set up an ipv6tables rule to block all in order to use dual stacked sites there.

If I didn't know what I was doing, and running windows, that hotfix is certainly better than disabling ipv6 for good

-Paul
RE: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?
> Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.

Lame... if you want my advice.

It is an obvious fix in case of issue, but, if every windows user applies this patch, then the purpose of the V6 Day is defeated IMHO...

If the text said 'apply this patch ONLY if you have problem', then it would be OK (which is kind of written but not crystal clear)

-éric
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 05:27:27PM +0200, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> > "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> > your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> > prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> > issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> > at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> > your next reboot."
> >

> > Is it me, or is this very lame?
> > Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.
>
> Lame... if you want my advice.
>
> It is an obvious fix in case of issue, but, if every windows user
> applies this patch, then the purpose of the V6 Day is defeated IMHO...
>
> If the text said 'apply this patch ONLY if you have problem', then it
> would be OK (which is kind of written but not crystal clear)

Indeed. If only they would have invested the same energy in fixing ULA
preference, RA re-validation, 6to4 preference etc...

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On May 28, 2011 8:33 AM, "Daniel Roesen" <dr@cluenet.de> wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 05:27:27PM +0200, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> > > "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> > > your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> > > prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> > > issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> > > at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again
after
> > > your next reboot."
> > >

> > > Is it me, or is this very lame?
> > > Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.
> >
> > Lame... if you want my advice.
> >
> > It is an obvious fix in case of issue, but, if every windows user
> > applies this patch, then the purpose of the V6 Day is defeated IMHO...
> >
> > If the text said 'apply this patch ONLY if you have problem', then it
> > would be OK (which is kind of written but not crystal clear)
>
> Indeed. If only they would have invested the same energy in fixing ULA
> preference, RA re-validation, 6to4 preference etc...

+1. Many sites are dual stack everyday.

Cb

Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
> "For Windows users:
>        Microsoft made a fix available specifically for 8 June 2011,
> please follow instructions in MS Knowledge base article 2533455. Note
> that this fix will expire 10 June 2011."
>

> Curious what this special hotfix is about, I went to
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454/
> There it says:
>
> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?
> Sort of defeats the idea op an IPv6 day.

For anyone planning presentations of W6D measurement data, this is
probably a good date to keep in mind. Anyone wanting to measure
before and after brokenness will need to have several days of data
afterwards in order to see what's *really* fixed versus what just
appears to be fixed.
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 04:58:13PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> At home, I can see AfriNIC and Juniper being dead via IPv6, IPv4 is
> fine.

AfriNIC got fixed, thanks! No RFO yet.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 28 May 2011, at 16:06, Dyonisius Visser <visser@terena.org> wrote:

> Curious what this special hotfix is about, I went to
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533454/
> There it says:
>
> "The following Fix it solution will resolve the issue by configuring
> your computer to prefer IPv4, instead of IPv6. By default, Windows
> prefers IPv6 over IPv4. This Fix it solution is temporary, to resolve
> issues on World IPv6 Day for affected Internet users. On June 10, 2011
> at 12:00AM, your computer will be configured to prefer IPv6 again after
> your next reboot."
>

> Is it me, or is this very lame?

It seems unlikely to me this would only be applied in the event of problems; and it's way better than the KB entry it replaces.

I may have misunderstood the eye chart - I thought it showed green for v4 *or* v6 connectivity working within a few (10?) seconds, so it will be all green even if you have IPv4 only, and thus if it's all green on the 8th it means adding v6 didn't break your v4?

There shouldn't be Teredo traffic unless the destination is IPv6 only, given v4 should be preferred to v6+Teredo?
Tim
Re: Test your connectivity for World IPv6 Day [ In reply to ]
On 28 May 2011, at 23:41, Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> It seems unlikely to me this would only be applied in the event of problems; and it's way better than the KB entry it replaces.

*likely, that is.

> I may have misunderstood the eye chart - I thought it showed green for v4 *or* v6 connectivity working within a few (10?) seconds, so it will be all green even if you have IPv4 only, and thus if it's all green on the 8th it means adding v6 didn't break your v4?
>
> There shouldn't be Teredo traffic unless the destination is IPv6 only, given v4 should be preferred to v6+Teredo?
> Tim

1 2 3 4 5 6  View All