Mailing List Archive

Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default
Does anyone have a list of CPE with 6to4 turned on by default? One is the
Linksys E4200. I'm looking to have this at my helpdesk's fingertips on
World IPv6 Day so that if customers call about internet slowness we can
quickly assist customers.

Frank
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Frank,

The Linksys WRT610N has 6to4 on by default. I heard the WRT310N also has 6to4 enabled but I cannot confirm as I haven't yet had the chance to test it in person.

What is more crazy about these Linksys routers is their choice of wording. 6to4 is labeled as "Vista Support."

Instructions on disabling 6to4 on the WRT610N can be found here > http://willscorner.net/?p=86. It would be interesting to see if the same instructions can be used on the E4200.

On Apr 17, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

> Does anyone have a list of CPE with 6to4 turned on by default? One is the
> Linksys E4200. I'm looking to have this at my helpdesk's fingertips on
> World IPv6 Day so that if customers call about internet slowness we can
> quickly assist customers.
>
> Frank

-------------------------------
Will D.
ManageMyDedi, LLC
will@managemydedi.com
XMPP: will@managemydedi.com
RE: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
The E4200 doesn't expose the 6to4 setting in the original release of
firmware, but the latest update removes that "feature" and the release notes
reference that.

So two models confirmed, one unconfirmed.

Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Will,

> The Linksys WRT610N has 6to4 on by default. I heard the WRT310N also has 6to4 enabled but I cannot confirm as I haven't yet had the chance to test it in person.
>
> What is more crazy about these Linksys routers is their choice of wording. 6to4 is labeled as "Vista Support."

indeed. as far as I have heard there is a Vista logo programme for CPE routers that required CPEs to have 6to4 support. if that required the default to be on or not I don't know. if that's the case there should be more CPEs than just Linksys.

Apple Airport's also had 6to4 on by default in a small batch, but that's quite a while ago.

> Instructions on disabling 6to4 on the WRT610N can be found here > http://willscorner.net/?p=86. It would be interesting to see if the same instructions can be used on the E4200.

the latest software update should have 6to4 disabled by default.

cheers,
Ole
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
* Ole Troan

>> What is more crazy about these Linksys routers is their choice of
>> wording. 6to4 is labeled as "Vista Support."
>
> indeed. as far as I have heard there is a Vista logo programme for
> CPE routers that required CPEs to have 6to4 support.

Yep:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463251.aspx

So when trying to find a list of 6to4-capable CPEs, acquiring the list
of the Vista-certified ones would be a good start.

Also, Mark Smith reported a few days ago on this list that the AVM
FRITZ!Box does 6to4 by default (at least the 7390 model).

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 09:07:24AM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> Also, Mark Smith reported a few days ago on this list that the AVM
> FRITZ!Box does 6to4 by default (at least the 7390 model).

IFF having IPv6 turned on (which is off by default to my knowledge) and
left the IPv6 options on "auto". I'm not aware of FritzBox firmware
having IPv6 enabled by default, but I'm working only with a small subset
I guess.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
AVM boxes have their auto-sense mechanism fall back to it when everything else fails. It is also the default I think when you turn on IPv6 without configuring it.

Marco

Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Am Montag, 18. April 2011, 20:56:24 schrieb Marco Hogewoning:
> AVM boxes have their auto-sense mechanism fall back to it when everything
> else fails. It is also the default I think when you turn on IPv6 without
> configuring it.

That is true.

I have had no problems with that, it works.
Only because of static IPs I prefer the sixxs-tunnel.

Regards,

Thomas
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
> That is true.
>
> I have had no problems with that, it works.
> Only because of static IPs I prefer the sixxs-tunnel.

Not going to open the can of worms labeled 6to4 :)

What I did encounter when I was working at XS4ALL, was that some less tech savvy users considered it a bit too much plug&play. They plugged it in, hit the button that said "IPv6" and walked away. They then go to something like ipv6.google or KAME to watch the dancing turtle and are fine with it, mission succeeded: they've got IPv6.

Only after encountering problems due to a broken relay or simply hitting performance issues they call and you can explain things. It became one of the first things to check when troubleshooting: "does your IP actually starts with 2001:980 or does it say something else ?".

This can also occur when native or any other solution they might pick up with auto-sense fails at the remote end. Imagine having a small interruption on your DHCPv6 system and thousands of clients falling back to 6to4. How do you find them, especially when IPv6 is still not fully deployed, and how do you get those boxes back to your native solution of choice ? I really like the auto sense customer friendly approach, but I personally do like to see it exclude certain options or at least remember native should be available and try to switch back.

Just my 2 cents,

MarcoH
(wearing no other hats than that of a concerned citizen)
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 18/04/2011 4:40 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 09:07:24AM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
>> Also, Mark Smith reported a few days ago on this list that the AVM
>> FRITZ!Box does 6to4 by default (at least the 7390 model).
>
> IFF having IPv6 turned on (which is off by default to my knowledge) and
> left the IPv6 options on "auto". I'm not aware of FritzBox firmware
> having IPv6 enabled by default, but I'm working only with a small subset
> I guess.

Our default firmware template config pre-installed on the Fritz!Box for
us had IPv6 enabled by default. The .au market is one where ADSL CPE is
owned by the end-user. We've been trying to slowly seed our customer
base with IPv6 enabled CPE over the last six to twelve months so that
production IPv6 became available to them when we enabled it on our
production LNSes/BRASes.

Regards,
Mark.
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 21:35 -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Does anyone have a list of CPE with 6to4 turned on by default? One is
> the
> Linksys E4200.

Cisco doesn't support this setting though. Yes, it's in there, and no
they don't support it. They will--Cisco tells me--really support IPv6 in
the next firmware rev. sometime this summer. How will they do it? Will
it be 6to4? Darn good questions. I'll let you know when I get some
answers--or if someone else finds out before me.

Steven
--
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
Editor-in-Chief, Practical Technology: http://www.practical-tech.com
RE: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Cisco said late April for the E4200:
Cisco had promised that IPv6 would ship in April for the high-end
E4200 that launched in January, and the company reiterated that
promise to Network World last week.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/040511-cisco-linksys-routers.html

Frank

Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:18:10PM -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Cisco said late April for the E4200:
> Cisco had promised that IPv6 would ship in April for the high-end
> E4200 that launched in January, and the company reiterated that
> promise to Network World last week.
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/040511-cisco-linksys-routers.html

April which year?

Gert Doering
-- NetMaster
--
did you enable IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444 USt-IdNr.: DE813185279
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Looks like the latest firmware release for the Linksys E2000/E3000
disabled 6to4.

Last Release Date: Dec 6, 2010
Firmware version: 1.0.04 (build 06)

- Enhanced display language detection to web administration user
interface, Guest Access and
Parental Control login webpages.
- Ehanced auto channel selection on wireless 2.4GHz
- Improved USB storage read/write performance
- Disabled IPv6-to-IPv4 Tunneling feature to improve Interoperability
- Fixed FAT format write issues in USB storage from MAC OS
- Fixed some browser-based configuration utility bugs
- Fixed some Guest Network minor bugs
- Fixed some TZO services minor bugs
- Fixed minor bugs
Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 04:13:44PM -0400, Larry Blunk wrote:
> Looks like the latest firmware release for the Linksys E2000/E3000
> disabled 6to4.

Nice. Thanks Cisco! I hope other vendors follow suit.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@cluenet.de -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0
RE: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a summary list of the models and some
comments:

Linksys E2000, E3000, E4200, WRT610N: original firmware had it on, but
latest firmware has 6to4 off or removed
Apple Airport: a batch early on had it on by default, but latest firmware
has it off by default
AVM FRITZ!Box (7390 model): unit's auto-sense mechanism uses it when
everything else fails; may also be when IPv6 is enabled without
configuration.

The good news appears that end-users who have these models can upgrade to
the latest firmware to minimize issues associated with 6to4. I will
strongly consider communicating to end-users that they upgrade the firmware
on their routers in advance of World IPv6 Day.

Frank

Re: Consumer CPE with 6to4 turned on by default [ In reply to ]
That's correct, the firmware that Mark mentions is configured in the same
way.

With our firmware revision you can just connect out of the box and get
native connectivity since our network is dual stacked, no config necessary.