I want to add a another DS2246 with IOM6 to the loop.

I know that IOM3 and IOM6 can exist on the same loop as long as there was
only one IOM3 to IOM6 transition.

Will there be any issue adding the 2nd shelf with IOM6 to this loop?

i.e.:

current: IOM3 -> IOM3 -> IOM3 -> IOM6

new: IOM3 -> IOM3 -> IOM3 -> IOM6 -> IOM6

Thanks.
Re: IOM3 and IOM6 on same loop [ In reply to ]
No problem. The DS4243s can also be upgraded to a DS4246 by replacing the IOM modules, if you want to avoid the 3/6 transition issues at some point.

.

Re: IOM3 and IOM6 on same loop [ In reply to ]
Hi Kim,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Francis Kim <fkim@berkcom.com> wrote:

> No problem. The DS4243s can also be upgraded to a DS4246 by replacing the
> IOM modules, if you want to avoid the 3/6 transition issues at some point.

This is explicitly prohibited as per the Storage Subsystem Technical FAQ:

https://fieldportal.netapp.com/content/195603?assetComponentId=195701

CAN THE DS4243 BE UPGRADED TO A DS4246?

No. The DS4243 is not upgradeable to the DS4246

Although I would like to know why this is not technically possible...
We were having a discussion about this amongst colleagues just last week,
and I'm pretty sure I tried this out in the past and didn't seem to run
into any problems...

Best regards,
Filip
Re: IOM3 and IOM6 on same loop [ In reply to ]
I’ve tried this in the past with the same result as you got. I thought I ran across a NetApp document last week that said you can upgrade the DS4243 to a DS4246 but of couse now I can’t seem to find it…

Probably best to not do things that are expressly forbidden, if you want to stay on the good side of support.

Francis Kim
Cell: 415-606-2525
Direct: 510-644-1599 x334
fkim@berkcom.com<mailto:fkim@berkcom.com>
www.berkcom.com<http://www.berkcom.com>

RE: IOM3 and IOM6 on same loop [ In reply to ]
AFAIK even if you replace the IOM3 with an IOM6 the SAS expander in the 4243 would still run at 3GB/s so it would be mostly pointless to do it.

Anthony Bar
650.207.5368<tel:650.207.5368>

RE: IOM3 and IOM6 on same loop [ In reply to ]
While technically possible it is not supported to replace the IOM3 modules with the IOM6 modules in a DS4243. Also, because you have a mix stack of the 3Gb and 6Gb the entire stack will remain at 3Gb even if you change the modules. The speed reset would not take place until you rebooted the HA pair. Thus the general BP is to add the IOM6 to net new SAS ports if you have them available.

Regards,
André M. Clark

Sent from BlueMail