Mailing List Archive

Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself
There were warnings the last time I upgraded cDOT from 8.3.2RC2 to 8.3.2
GA and again when going from 8.3.2GA to 8.3.2P1

The warnings had no errors associate with them and the upgrade
failover/giveback completed without any problems.

I wonder if the warnings are related to the fact that each node in the
HA cluster has an an ifgroup using two 10G physical ports.

The ifgroup a0a is shared using one vlan for the data lifs, and another
vlan for the IC lifs.

The data lifs failover to the other node's data lifs but the IC lifs
failover to the local node where the target is itself.

The network infrastructure between the separate buildings where the
second cluster lives is such that we cannot use another set of physical
ports for the intercluster lifs on the node.

Are the vague warnings when upgrading hinting that this is not an
optimal configuration?

fc1-ev::> network interface show -vserver uperc -lif email.filers
-failover
Logical Home Failover Failover
Vserver Interface Node:Port Policy Group
-------- --------------- --------------------- ---------------
---------------
uperc
email.filers fc1-ev-n2:a0a-539 system-defined DATA_PUB
Failover Targets: fc1-ev-n2:a0a-539,
fc1-ev-n1:a0a-539

fc1-ev::> network interface show -role intercluster -failover *
Logical Home Failover Failover
Vserver Interface Node:Port Policy Group
-------- --------------- --------------------- ---------------
---------------
fc1-ev
fc1-ev-n1_ic1 fc1-ev-n1:a0a-736 local-only IC
Failover Targets: fc1-ev-n1:a0a-736
fc1-ev-n2_ic1 fc1-ev-n2:a0a-736 local-only IC
Failover Targets: fc1-ev-n2:a0a-736

--
Joel Krajden: Core Technologies Manager
Engineering & Computer Science Concordia University
Re: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
First: InterCluster LIFs only failover to the local node (hence the
local-only failover policy). They should never failover to anything but
local LIFs.

Second, if I recall correctly, on the early version of 8.3X (including
8.3.1) there were issues when the InterCluster LIF and/or the node-mgmt LIF
was on an ifgroup. That has been fixed in 8.3.2, but it is possible the
message still exists.

I believe the release you are on is fine. Basic info:

Cluster, InterCluster & Node MGMT LIFs are all local-only (can failover,
but to local node LIFs only, if available)
FC/iSCSO LIFs do not failover at all. Host-side ALUA manages failover.
All other LIFs (essentially data LIFs and vserver mangement LIFs) can and
should have failover set.

On 8.3+ take advantage of the Subnets/IP_spaces/Broadcast Domains to help
create your failover policies.

For instance:
Broadcast Domains: (each group are ports on the same broadcast domain that
fail over to each other as needed)

Cluster (for cluster interfaces only, should include all CLUSTER ports on
all nodes)

Belongs to Cluster IPSPACE

ICC (I created this for intercluster communications and include all ports
used for INTERCLUSTER)

Belongs to Default IPSPACE

Management (I renamed the default to this. It includes all ports that can
be used for management)

Belongs to Default IPSPACE

IP Spaces:

Cluster (for cluster interfaces only)

Contains Cluster Broadcast Domain

Default (for everything else if not multi-tenant with overlapping IP spaces)

Contains ICC & Management Broadcast Domains

Subnets:

ICC -> In my case, contains 4 IPs, one for each node. each node has an
ifgroup (a0a) so, local failover is built-in

Management -> in my case, contains 8 IPs. One for each node-mgmt and
vserver-mgmt

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

RE: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I somehow miss the warnings. Could you show them?

---
With best regards

Andrei Borzenkov
Senior system engineer
FTS WEMEAI RUC RU SC TMS FOS

FUJITSU
Zemlyanoy Val Street, 9, 105 064 Moscow, Russian Federation
Tel.: +7 495 730 62 20 ( reception)
Mob.: +7 916 678 7208
Fax: +7 495 730 62 14
E-mail: Andrei.Borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com
Web: ru.fujitsu.com
Company details: ts.fujitsu.com/imprint
This communication contains information that is confidential, proprietary in nature and/or privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please be advised that neither Fujitsu, its affiliates, its employees or agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damages caused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in this message or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.

Re: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
Andrei,

The vague warnings can be seen below when we updated to 8.3.2P1

Joel

fc1-hall::> cluster image show-update-progress

Estimated Elapsed
Update Phase Status Duration Duration
-------------------- ----------------- --------------- ---------------
Pre-update checks completed 00:10:00 00:00:01
Data ONTAP updates completed 01:05:00 00:31:01
Post-update checks completed 00:10:00 00:00:00
3 entries were displayed.

Updated nodes: fc1-hall-n1, fc1-hall-n2.

fc1-hall::> cluster image show-update-log
Trans
Phase Transaction Id Component Id Time Stamp Status
------------- ------------ ----- ----------------- -----------
---------------
package- cleanup- 43 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
management package 14:22:11

package- cleanup- 44 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
management package 14:22:11

package- process- 45 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
management package 15:02:58

package- synch-image 46 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
management 15:03:08

validation initialize 47 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:12
Details: Warning: Manual validation checks need to be performed. Refer to
the Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP
Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update. Failing to do so can
result in
an update failure or an I/O disruption., Action: Refer to the
Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update..

validation mount-image 48 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:11

validation mount-image 49 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:11

validation get-health 50 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:11

Trans
Phase Transaction Id Component Id Time Stamp Status
------------- ------------ ----- ----------------- -----------
---------------
validation run-scripts 51 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:11

validation run-scripts 52 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
15:30:12
Details: Warning: Manual validation checks need to be performed. Refer to
the Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP
Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update. Failing to do so can
result in
an update failure or an I/O disruption., Action: Refer to the
Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update..

validation unmount- 53 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
image 15:30:12

validation unmount- 54 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
image 15:30:12

validation complete- 55 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
validation 15:30:12

ontap-updates initialize 56 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
16:01:31

ontap-updates do-download- 57 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
job 15:31:28
Details: Info: Download complete.

ontap-updates do-download- 58 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
job 15:31:32
Details: Info: Download complete.

Trans
Phase Transaction Id Component Id Time Stamp Status
------------- ------------ ----- ----------------- -----------
---------------
ontap-updates do-failover- 59 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
job 15:37:20
Details: Info: Takeover complete.

ontap-updates do-failover- 60 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
job 15:52:16
Details: Info: Takeover complete.

ontap-updates do-giveback- 61 fc1-hall-n1 4/29/2016 completed
job 15:46:40
Details: Info: Giveback complete.

ontap-updates do-giveback- 62 fc1-hall-n2 4/29/2016 completed
job 16:01:31
Details: Info: Giveback complete.

post-update- initialize 63 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
checks 16:01:31

post-update- do- 64 MUM 4/29/2016 completed
checks postupdate- 16:01:31
checks-task
Details: Info: All checks completed succcessfully..

22 entries were displayed.

RE: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
Yes, it is vague.

As Tim already explained intercluster LIFs are not supposed to failover to another node, and interface group should offer enough redundancy so your configuration looks OK from this side.

---

Re: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
On 06/30/2016 02:03 AM, andrei.borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com wrote:
> Yes, it is vague.
>
> As Tim already explained intercluster LIFs are not supposed to failover to another node, and interface group should offer enough redundancy so your configuration looks OK from this side.

I was aware that the IC lifs had to fail over locally. I was just musing
if the configuration was causing the warning.

The data lifs which use the ifgroup should and do fail over to the other
node but the same ifgroup is used for the IC lifs which fail over to the
same lif/ifgroup on the local node.

How does the cluster makes sense of this. Is it possible to "not" set a
failover group for the IC lifs given that redundancy exists through the
dynamic mode ifgroup if an interface on the node's ifgroup fails during
a snapmirror operation.

Regards,

Joel

RE: Intercluster lifs use an ifgroup but and local target is itself [ In reply to ]
Are you talking about this warning?

Details: Warning: Manual validation checks need to be performed. Refer to
the Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update. Failing to do so can result in
an update failure or an I/O disruption., Action: Refer to the
Upgrade Advisor Plan or the "Clustered Data ONTAP Upgrade and
Revert/Downgrade Guide" for the remaining validation checks that
need to be performed before update..

I believe this is a standard warning that has been added to every upgrade and just means read the docs before upgrading and isn't actually running any checks.
I've had it on every upgrade since 8.3.1RC1