Mailing List Archive

Unable to terminate re-startable dumps
Hi All,
We backup from a 3rd party product via NDMP. The past couple of days,
SOME the backups have been failing on this filer with:

There are no backup contexts available in the system. Delete some of the
unwanted restartable backup contexts and retry the operation.
DUMP: Maximum number of allowed dumps/restores (16) in progress.
NDMP_OP_ERRORCODE is 'EMAXBACKUPS'
DUMP: Dump failed to initialize.

And looking at the filer:

hostname*> backup status

ID State Type Device Start Date Level Path
-- ----------- ---- ------ ------------ ----- ---------------
2 RESTARTABLE dump 0
3 RESTARTABLE dump 0
4 RESTARTABLE dump 0
5 RESTARTABLE dump 0
6 RESTARTABLE dump 0
7 RESTARTABLE dump 0
8 RESTARTABLE dump 0
9 RESTARTABLE dump 0
10 RESTARTABLE dump 0
11 RESTARTABLE dump 0
12 RESTARTABLE dump 0
13 RESTARTABLE dump 0
14 RESTARTABLE dump 0
15 RESTARTABLE dump 0
16 RESTARTABLE dump 0

So I thought I had an accumulation of old backup sessions over time.

hostname*> backup terminate 2
Unable to read from registry.

There are no snapshots on the system that were created by backups right now.

hostname*> version
NetApp Release 8.2.3P3 7-Mode: Tue Apr 28 14:48:22 PDT 2015

Any ideas of what I could try here? Its strange that it shows dump as the
device instead of NDMP. And its strange that the Start Date and Path's are
blank.

Thanks.