Mailing List Archive

en_US vs. C (posix) [was: Re: incorrect language for volume]
I'm at the point of moving to cDOT soon.

Considering how much trouble it is to change languages on a volume
in cDOT, is there a good discussion of the pros and cons of en_US vs. C (posix)?

Darry, care to expand on your choices/reasoning?

Re:
> From: tmac <tmacmd@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 22:16:47 -0400
> Subject: Re: incorrect language for volume
> To: Darry Cooley <darry.cooley@broadcom.com>
> Cc: Toasters <toasters@teaparty.net>
>
> You most certainly want to fix that *BEFORE* you get to Clustered ONTAP.
> Once a volume has its' language set in cDOT, you cannot change it.
> You must create a new volume and copy it without mirroring (ndmp, scp, etc)
>

> --tmac
>
> *Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*
>
> \
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Darry Cooley <darry.cooley@broadcom.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We are in the process of migrating data from our 7mode filers (8.1.2P4
> > 7-Mode) to our new CDOT filers (8.3.1P1), and we noticed that a few of our
> > 7mode volumes (NFS volumes) do not have the correct language set.
> >
> > 7mode documentation says I can change the language of a volume, however:
> >
> > Note: If you are changing the NFS character set, you are asked to confirm
> >> your choice, and also whether you want to halt the system so that
> >> WAFL_check can be run to check for any files that will no longer be
> >> accessible using NFS. The default answer for this question is yes. If you
> >> do not want to halt the system, you must enter n.
> >>

> > I'd really prefer to not halt the filer. What are the ramifications of
> > not halting the filer? Can I safely change the language and snapmirror
> > over to the new filers without issue?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > ...Darry
> >
> > --
> > Darry Cooley
> > Factory Systems Engineer
> > Broadcom Limited - WSD FS/FAST
> > 4380 Ziegler Road, Fort Collins, CO 80525
> > darry.cooley@broadcom.com

Brian Parent
Information Technology Services Department
IT Infrastructure Operations Group
Workplace, Internal, Research, and Educational Platforms (WIRE) team
UC San Diego
(858) 534-6090
Re: en_US vs. C (posix) [was: Re: incorrect language for volume] [ In reply to ]
Brian:

I don't know if you used FilerView way back in the day (7mode, 7.x), but it
had some really horrible defaults. One of those defaults was the language,
the default language was ar.UTF-8 (Arabic). Some folks used the CLI to
create our volumes, others used FilerView. If you used FilerView and
weren't paying attention, you could easily blow right by that screen and
wind up with volumes where the language was set to ar.UTF-8; which we
apparently did :-(

Our NetApp SE suggested we use C.UTF-8 as the language for the svms, so
that's what we did. New volumes are now created with that as the language.
For some of our volume migrations where the data sets/volumes are small, we
are using robocopy or rsync. We have a handful of very large volumes with
millions of files, rsync/robocopy will choke on those so we have to use
snapmirror. snapmirror sets the language on the destination volume to that
of the source volume so we wind up with volumes on our new cluster that
have a language of ar.UTF-8.

To date, this hasn't been a problem, and I don't think it will be an issue
if I were to convert the 7mode volumes to C.UTF-8 before I snapmirror them
over. I'm just trying to understand the ramifications of not rebooting the
7mode head after I change the language.

...Darry