Mailing List Archive

automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get
Folks,I have situation that SP firmware was upgraded after just "Get" of softwaresystem node image get -node * -package http:// and nothing else.
It caused the SP to upgrade and watchdog reset some nodes as well.Is there a reason for that?Anyone ever come across this issue.
Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
What platform? what was the original release? did you read the upgrade info?

There were situations, if I recall, that dictated a specific way to upgrade
and in some instances, you could not skip release and certain releases are
tied to certain releases of ONTAP.

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
Only downloading via "get" of sp formware. It is 8040/8020 and it look like it auto upgrade to 3.1.2 from 3.1P1...and it watchdog reset few nodes. Wild, no?

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
what version of ONTAP?

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
8.3

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
Sounds like maybe you hit this....
http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=876776

SP firmware upgrade initiated by Data ONTAP can sometimes result in the SP
issuing NMI and L2 watchdog reset, resulting in Data ONTAP reboot

When Data ONTAP automatically updates the Service Processor (SP) firmware
from most of earlier releases to Data ONTAP 8.3.1, there is a possibility
that the SP incorrectly triggers the watchdog and reboots Data ONTAP.
This issue might occur on all platforms.

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get [ In reply to ]
Basically, if you are running *any* version of ONTAP before 8.3.1, you may
(or may not) hit this bug when the Service-Processor is automatically
updated:

shahqnetapp::> system service-processor show -fields autoupdate-enabled
node autoupdate-enabled
shanetapp8020-01 true
shanetapp8020-02 true
shanetapp8060-03 true
shanetapp8060-04 true

In most systems, this is set to true. When Data ONTAP sees a newer
SP_FW.zip file is available on the system, it will attempt to automatically
upgrade the SP. There is communication between ONTAP and the SP to direct
ONTAP to initiate the SP upgrade.

Does that help?