Mailing List Archive

aix san boot lun - no lun id 0
Hi Everyone,

We have a AIX server that boots from a NetApp (IBM nSeries)
for which we need to upgrade AIX. The AIX Admins want me
to allocate a alt_boot lun, which they will make the new
boot lun after upgrading.

Currently the server has two luns:

lun show -m
LUN path Mapped to LUN ID Protocol
/vol/v_rsxxxx_boot/q_rsxxxx_boot/lun0_boot rsxxxx 0 FCP
/vol/v_rsxxxx_boot/q_rsxxxx_boot/lun1_boot rsxxxx 1 FCP

lun 0 = rootvg boot lun
lun 1 = non-rootvg lun with paging space

If I create a new lun at id 2, we cut over to it and I delete the
old boot vol at id 0, I then have a lun id gap - no lun 0.

Is this a problem with NetApp storage?

(I know we have problems with EMC VNX storage with LUNZ devices if no lun id at 0.)

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.
Re: aix san boot lun - no lun id 0 [ In reply to ]
Not sure if AIX thinks it is a big deal or not. Generally, the host wants
LUN ID 0 to be the boot LUN.
You can use your "lun map" "lun unmap" commands to reset the LUN ID's if I
recall. Been a while since using 7-mode LUN commands.

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

Re: aix san boot lun - no lun id 0 [ In reply to ]
Richard> We have a AIX server that boots from a NetApp (IBM nSeries)
Richard> for which we need to upgrade AIX. The AIX Admins want me to
Richard> allocate a alt_boot lun, which they will make the new boot
Richard> lun after upgrading.

Do they have a test box sitting around which they can use to do some
test boots on?

Richard> Currently the server has two luns:

Richard> lun show -m

Richard> LUN path Mapped to LUN ID Protocol

Richard> -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard> /vol/v_rsxxxx_boot/q_rsxxxx_boot/lun0_boot rsxxxx 0 FCP

Richard> /vol/v_rsxxxx_boot/q_rsxxxx_boot/lun1_boot rsxxxx 1 FCP

Richard> lun 0 = rootvg boot lun

Richard> lun 1 = non-rootvg lun with paging space

Richard> If I create a new lun at id 2, we cut over to it and I delete the

Richard> old boot vol at id 0, I then have a lun id gap - no lun 0.

Richard> Is this a problem with NetApp storage?

The Netapp won't care one bean whether you have a LUN gap or not.
Doesn't make any difference to it.

Richard> (I know we have problems with EMC VNX storage with LUNZ
Richard> devices if no lun id at 0.)

It's more a matter of whether or not the AIX box can boot of a non 0
LUN, but I would be surprised if it can't.

In 7-mode you can do:

lun map //vol/v_rsxxxx_boot/q_rsxxxx_boot/lun2_boot rsxxxx 0

to force the new LUN to be LUN ID 0. But by default it will use the
lowest available LUN number when you create a new LUN.

It's easy enough, when the AIX box is down, to remap the old LUN 0 to
a new number, and the new boot LUN to 0 if need be.

John
Re: aix san boot lun - no lun id 0 [ In reply to ]
Netapp assigns no special significance to LUN 0, and from what I know of
AIX, neither will the OS.