I wonder if it's possible to employ 7Mode mount point behavior on cDOT NFS SVM?

An example:

1. I create a volume "share_01" and by default it shows up as
"toaster:/share_01".

2. I'd like to access it as "toaset:/vol/share_01"

So, my question is how to add "/vol/" to its junction_path?

Cheers,
Vladimir
Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
you *could* make that happen easily.

There is the base root volume in cDOT (/) where all junctions usually form.
You would have to set the export-policy on the root volume to something
that is writeable by a client.
Mount the root of the cdot filer and create the EMPTY volume call vol. That
is your place holder.

Then, when "mounting" a junction in cdot, do something like:

vol mount -volume share_01 -junction-path /vol/share_01

and it should work. I did this in a past job with hundreds of volumes so I
can tell you it works.
You just need to make sure your export-policies are set the way you
want/need and be sure to limit the root volume export-policy when you are
done.

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

RHCE6 110-107-141
<https://www.redhat.com/wapps/training/certification/verify.html?certNumber=110-107-141&isSearch=False&verify=Verify>
Current until Aug 02, 2016

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
Thanks Tim, it worked as you described.

In the mean time I also fixed out puppet based tooling, so that it
knows about the cDOT junction style.

Vladimir

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
How about, instead of creating an empty volume, you *create a QTree
named "vol"...***(in the SVM root volume)*
*Then you can also easily mount with a junction path starting in "/vol/..."

Sebastian

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
Very good point....when I was doing this on the older versions of GX and
cDOT, qtrees were non-existent.

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
I think the idea is you can easily make the qtree from ONTAP without having to mount the volume first, like in my first post. Not sure, but I think it requires something squirrelly to make a directory from ONTAP without it being a qtree

Sent from Mobile Outlook

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
You can create folders in cDOT with ZAPI calls. ;)

http://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/Create-parent-directories-for-a-junction-path-using-the-CLI/td-p/24401/page/2

From: tmac <tmacmd@gmail.com<mailto:tmacmd@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 11:26 AM
To: Justin Parisi <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com<mailto:Justin.Parisi@netapp.com>>, Sebastian Goetze <spgoetze@gmail.com<mailto:spgoetze@gmail.com>>
Cc: "Toasters@teaparty.net<mailto:Toasters@teaparty.net>" <Toasters@teaparty.net<mailto:Toasters@teaparty.net>>

Sent from Mobile Outlook<https://aka.ms/qtex0l>

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
SHweet! I just dug a little deeper....you can do this with the Powershell
Toolkit also:

(from powershell)
*> Connect-NcController dc02*

Name Address Vserver Version
---- ------- ------- -------
dc02 10.173.75.73 NetApp Release
8.3.1P2: Wed Dec 09 03:10:24 UTC 2015

*> Get-NcSystemOntapiVersion*

NcController MajorVersion MinorVersion NodeOntapiDetails
------------ ------------ ------------ -----------------
dc02 1 31

*> Get-NcSystemVersion*

NcController Value
------------ -----
dc02 NetApp Release 8.3.1P2: Wed Dec 09 03:10:24 UTC 2015

*> New-NcDirectory -Path /vol/tmp/t1 -Permission 777 -VserverContext
JHH008001 -Verbose*
VERBOSE: Creating directory /vol/tmp/t1.

Name Type Size Created Modified Owner Group
Perm Empty
---- ---- ---- ------- -------- ----- -----
---- -----
t1 directory 4 KB 3/17/2016 3/17/2016 0 0
777 True

(from ONTAP CLI...but could do via powershell as well!)

*dc02::> vol create t2 -size 100m -aggregate aggrSAS_03*
[Job 1509] Job succeeded: Successful

*dc02::> vol mount t2 /tmp/t1/t2*

*dc02::> vol show -fields junction-path -volume t2*
vserver volume junction-path
--------- ------ -------------
mysvm t2 /tmp/t1/t2

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
I'm using puppet module (based on NetApp SDK) to create cDOT volumes,
but it fails to do the same.

I always failed to understand a difference between NetApp SDK and PS
toolkit .. it feels like the PS toolkit is more powerful.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Parisi, Justin

RE: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
SDK sometimes doesn't work, depending on the version/support for ZAPI calls.

PS toolkit is probably easier. Tmac posted the method for that.

RE: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
Justin> SDK sometimes doesn't work, depending on the version/support for ZAPI calls.

Which sucks...

Justin> PS toolkit is probably easier. Tmac posted the method for that.

Because if you don't know/use PowerShell or Windows for day to day
work... it's painful.

Justin> -----Original Message-----
Justin> From: vladimir.zhigulin@gmail.com [mailto:vladimir.zhigulin@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Momonth
Justin> Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:38 PM
Justin> To: Parisi, Justin
Justin> Cc: NGC-tmacmd-gmail.com; Sebastian Goetze; toasters@teaparty.net
Justin> Subject: Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT

Justin> I'm using puppet module (based on NetApp SDK) to create cDOT volumes, but it fails to do the same.

Justin> I always failed to understand a difference between NetApp SDK and PS toolkit .. it feels like the PS toolkit is more powerful.

Justin> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> wrote:
>> You can create folders in cDOT with ZAPI calls. ;)
>>
>> http://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/Create-parent-di
>> rectories-for-a-junction-path-using-the-CLI/td-p/24401/page/2

Justin> _______________________________________________
Justin> Toasters mailing list
Justin> Toasters@teaparty.net
Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
ïÔÐÒÁ×ÌÅÎÏ Ó iPhone

> 17 ÍÁÒÔÁ 2016 Ç., × 23:01, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ(Á):
>
> SDK sometimes doesn't work, depending on the version/support for ZAPI calls.

I thought PS toolkit is using the same ZAPI calls at the end?

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
That was understanding as well, until I came across a few calls that
didn't work =(

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
It looks like, from what I can see in the API tools(using ZEDI from the
SDK), that the *file-create-directory* ZAPI call is only exposed in the
7-mode and vserver (which appears to only apply to vfilers under 7-mode and
not cDOT) APIs and not the cluster mode one, yet per my playing yesterday,
the ability *is* exposed in the PowerShell toolkit.

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
Yep, I was thinking of easily creating a directory (in the root of a
volume) from the CLI or from the GUI.
More like for the casual admin, not for the highly automated one (API,
PowerShell, ...)
Right where he would also create the volume/mount it in the namespace...

The fact that it has some extra capabilities (Quotas, security style
change, oplocks, ...) is irrelevant for mounting.

Sebastian

Re: 7Mode junction-path style on cDOT [ In reply to ]
furthermore, trying the APITEST command...it still does work, though.
confirmed ONTAPI version 1.31 (which is ahead of ZAPI, using 1.30) and cDOT
version 8.3.1P2 with apitest

It seems Odd that the perfectly usable command is viable via the APITEST,
yet, not available to be seen with ZEDI nor with apitest:

apitest.exe cdotfiler admin "mypasswd" system-api-list | Select-String
"file-c"

<name>file-copy-destroy</name>
<name>file-copy-get-iter</name>
<name>file-copy-start</name>

Do not see file-create-directory !

working example with apitest ->
apitest.exe -t filer -v myvfiler cdotfiler admin "mypasswd"
file-create-directory path /vol/tmp1/dir2 perm 077
<results status="passed"/>

Tried apitest with Powershell, DOS and perl and they all work.