This is a bit of a quirky issue, wondering if anyone has come across this before?

We are hosting a vFiler on a 7-mode array. The other day we had a controller reboot, and it seems after the HA-failover that the NFS exports of the vFiler somehow went "missing" - the /etc/exports file was missing most of the entries. We ended up having to manually recreate the entries, but am wondering if anyone has come across any type of quirky behavior such as this?

We are running 8.1.4 P1 on this array, it is hosting many CIFS & NFS shares, as well as VM workloads. We are on 3rd party support now, so cannot open a ticket with IBM Support (rebranded NetApp).

Thanks,

Eric Peng | Enterprise Storage Systems Administrator
Esri | 380 New York St. | Redlands, CA 92373 | USA
T 909 793 2853 x3567 | M 909 367 1691
epeng@esri.com<mailto:epeng@esri.com> | esri.com<http://esri.com/>
Re: missing NFS exports after controller reboot [ In reply to ]
Eric,

This appears like someone created the new exports from the CLI but didn’t use the -p switch. If you create a new export from the CLI without using the -p switch, the export will only remain in memory. Thus, if the controller fails over or if you stop/start the vfiler the export will be gone. Take a look at the following: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1511537/html/man1/na_exportfs.1.html <https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1511537/html/man1/na_exportfs.1.html>

Regards,
André M. Clark

Re: missing NFS exports after controller reboot [ In reply to ]
PS - the exports file for the vfiler will be on /vol/<vfiler root vol>/etc/exports.

Re: missing NFS exports after controller reboot [ In reply to ]
Also to add- unless you disabled snapshots, the root vol should have a
health list, ideally back from before the reboot. You can rdfile straight
out of a snapshot, I believe.