Mailing List Archive

Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another
Hi,

I have one 7-mode Filer that I will be decommissioning which has data on it
I need to migrate to another 7-mode Filer. We don't have space to mirror
the data to the new Filer, want to reuse the shelves on the new Filer and
this is a quicker cut over.

The four DS4243 shelves have a single aggregate (aggr0) with various volumes
on it (exported via NFS) including the root volume for the controller
(vol0).

I found the KB on moving shelves and aggregates between controllers but it
doesn't mention what to do about a Filer that has vol0 and root aggr on the
shelves.

My plan is:

1. Disable disk auto assign on both source and destination Filer on both
controllers
options disk.auto_assign off

1. Reboot the source controller into maintenance mode
2. Offline aggr0
aggr offline aggr0

3. Uknown the disks on the shelves on the source controller
disk assign disk_name -s unowned -f

4. Shutdown the Source Filer and power off along with shelves

4. Power down the destination Filer and add SAS card to new Filer (not
enough SAS ports for new loop)

5. Physically moves shelves from source Filer to destination Filer

6. Cable shelves and change shelf IDs along with a powercycle to ensure
shelf IDs don't conflict

7. Assign the disks on the new Filer
disk assign disk_name

8. As the aggregate is aggr0 and new Filer also has aggr0 it gets renamed to
aggr0(1) and foreign

9. Check the status of the new aggregate
aggr status aggr_name

10. Rename the new aggregate from aggr0(1) to aggr1

aggr rename aggr0(1) aggr1

11. Online the aggregate on the destination Filer as it is longer labelled
as foreign aggregate.

aggr online aggr1

12. Check the aggregate status on the destination Filer

aggr status aggr1

13. Export the volumes on the destination Filer via /etc/exports and
exportfs -r

Re: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
That looks about right, although I would just reassign in maint mode on the
new head. I am not sure if its possible to offline an aggr while its
volumes are online (save yourself the trouble).

Check the versions of 7-mode of both heads, its probably a good idea to
have them be the same versions (or very close)!

Re: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
I suggest renaming aggr0 to a different aggregate name before you shut down on the old system. Likewise for vol0. Additionally, because I’m sure you’ll want to have the CIFS shares and exports on the destination system, save copies of the /etc/cifsconfg_share.cfg and /etc/exports files so you can easily add to the respective files on the destination controller.

Regards,
André M. Clark

RE: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
Hi Andre, Douglas and Mike

I have to add a SAS card on the destination Filer and have a maintenance
window to take it down, so can go into maintenance mode. As Mike mentioned I
can check the various stages of adding the disks and I will just reassign
the disks on the destination Filer.

I'll also use "disk show -p" to confirm all the disks have two paths post
maintenance.

As Andre suggested I'm going to rename the vol0 and aggr0 on the source
Filer.

Luckily both Filers are on identical Ontap versions and I'm going to update
the disk and shelf firmware before in a separate maintenance (although I
believe they are currently identical).

Thanks for the advice

Martin

RE: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRM6ooDd6yQ

Agree with Andre and Douglas has a point

By going into maintenance mode (if you can afford the down time), you can see the impact would have, i.e. once you assign the disks, does it see the complete aggregate or partial, can you bring it online, is your vol0 still the valid root volume (not that it should change)

The trickiest part is to ensure that ONTAP and other firmware are at the same level in both corresponding systems, for WAFL consistency

Happy going

RE: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
Can't hurt to rename it beforehand, but I am pretty sure it is going to show up as "aggr0(1)" on the otherside so it should be a non-issue

Re: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
If you REALLY want to make sure of no conflicts, from the Special Boot menu, you can offline a volume at boot. You would hit Ctrl-C to get to the special boot menu and then instead of hitting a number you can enter the following: vol_offline <vol-name> <aggr-name>. This will cause ONTAP to boot up with that volume offline.

Regards,
André M. Clark

Re: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
It is possible to offline aggregate with volumes, but there is no point in doing it. Just reassign in maintenance mode and connect online to new filer. It will come up as foreign and offline anyway.

?????????? ? iPhone

2 ????. 2016 ?., ? 19:33, Douglas Siggins <siggins@gmail.com<mailto:siggins@gmail.com>> ???????(?):

Re: Moving shelves with root aggr and root vol (7-mode) from one Filer to another [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

Thanks for your pointers and advice on this. I finally got a maintenance
windows to do this and it went without issue.

Thanks
Martin