It's me again,

Another bump we're still on is that due to 8.3's inability to rename a CIFS server and that we just 7MTT'd a home filer with ~3000 CIFS shares on it we instead aliased the new vserver to the old name "home" on our network. We removed the old vFiler from DNS and our AD, and removed all WINS entries. We added SPN's for the name "home" to the AD object for the new vserver. We already had a DNS alias for "homes" for the old vfiler to address some Mac compatibility issues. We added that CNAME in DNS as well, and an SPN for "homes" to the vserver's AD object.

And we did take advantage of the 8.3 CLI tool for adding NetBIOS aliases, looks like a hack NA provided until they fix the run "cifs setup" tool without deleting the CIFS server.

But we're still having a host of flakey access issues with Mac users who either can't connect to their home drives at all or get weirdness if they open Office documents and the like there.

We're also having issues with Windows RDSH connections and User Profile mappings.

Anybody else had fallout from the inability to rename a server? Any luck aliasing? Or should we just suck it up, recreate the CIFS server and recreate the shares?

Hope to hear from you,

Randy

Re: Can't rename a vserver in 8.3 and aliasing vserver names? [ In reply to ]
For macs, I think that might be more related to the SMB implementation. I
don't have any, but I've heard of others without the same setup as you
having issues with it. Macs will use NFS quite happily, and you can
probably save yourself a headache if you just set them up an NFS share.

As for the weirdness with setting CIFS up in CDOT, what we do is use an
administrative user that literally doesn't have domain rights except
joining a computer to a pre-existing computer account in a specific OU.
When I "unjoin" the domain, it gives me an error that it can't delete the
computer account, but will actually disable CIFS on the SVM. A hack for
that is you can deliberately provide an incorrect password and it should
still ask you if you want to continue without deleting the computer account.