Mailing List Archive

3 TB drives showing odd output for disk show.
Greetings,

I just added some shelves of 3 TB drives to a 3140 running 8.1 RC2.
For some reason a lot of them seem to munge the shelf address in "disk
show". When I run "storage show disk" they all look fine. Here is a
limited output:

3c.03.10 woodcut (151733860) Pool0 YHHN0GGA
woodcut (151733860)
3c.SHJ00000000711C.17 woodcut (151733860) Pool0 YHHKNR7A
woodcut (151733860)

The second entry is adding "SHJ00000000711C" in the middle of the
shelf address. I've traced the new string to being the shelf serial
number. My 1 and 2 TB shelves still work fine. About 75% of my 3 TB
drives are stuffing the serial number in the middle.

I've made sure the filer knows about the disks and it has a proper
disk qualification package, etc, and the disk and shelf firmware is up
to date. I was curious if anyone else had run into this.

Thanks,

Jeff

--
Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator
Re: 3 TB drives showing odd output for disk show. [ In reply to ]
Are your shelf IDs set right? The SAS-interface (DS4243 or DS2446, doesn't matter what kind of drive's in them) shelves are different from the fiber channel loops, in that the shelf IDs have to be unique across the entire HA pair (in other words, even if you have two SAS-interface shelves on different sets of SAS ports, they can't both be ID 1).

That's the only time this serial-number-based addressing has come up for me, though I'm pretty new to the SAS shelves still.

-dalvenjah

Re: 3 TB drives showing odd output for disk show. [ In reply to ]
Is ownership correct ?
RE: 3 TB drives showing odd output for disk show. [ In reply to ]
You have duplicated shelf IDs. SAS shelf IDs must be unique across the whole filer, not per loop/stack as was the case with DS14.