Mailing List Archive

A couple of V-Series Questions
1) I have a customer who accidentally added a LUN to an existing aggr that
was incorrectly sized.  What is the correct procedure to replace that LUN
with a correctly sized one?  They can't resize the LUN on the existing
array as it's out of space.  Do I create a correct sized LUN on another
array, add it as a spare and then do a disk fail against the wrong sized
LUN?  I've never tried this on a gateway.

2) Does anyone have some procedures  for a headswap on a v-series/gfiler?
There appears to be a "black hole"  on the NOW site in regards to how-to
upgrade a v-series/gfiler.

Is it as simple as -

1) Gather existing v-series head configuration
2) Zone and LUN mask the new v-series head to the existing LUNs
3) Perform a disk reassign ownership on an aggr by aggr basis
4) Create new CIFS shares on new v-series head (only CIFS shares on
existing v-series head)
5) Remove old v-series head from DNS (or swap servers in DFS)
6) Add new v-series head to DNS
7) Verify client connectivity

Thanks

Bob McKim

Although no hardware was injured in the creation of this note, a few
billion electrons and photons were utilized against their will.
RE: A couple of V-Series Questions [ In reply to ]
What kind of host is the LUN being used by? You can thin provision the
2nd LUN but that's not going to help if you're trying to mirror them.

There is generally a lot of space you can use on a filer in a pinch -
just make sure to put it back after you use it (i.e. taking out
reservations & aggr snapshots). Make sure you know the implications of
using this space but generally I have found you can figure out ways to
temporarily get the space you need unless you've got an unusual set up.

________________________________

[...]

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The
sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer
to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the
foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or
other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included
in any attachment.
RE: A couple of V-Series Questions [ In reply to ]
Jeremy, the LUNs are the back end storage to the gateway, i.e. the filer is
the host.

Bob McKim

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|"Page, Jeremy" <jeremy.page@gilbarco.com> |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|Bob McKim/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS, <toasters@mathworks.com> |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|08/06/2010 08:31 AM |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|RE: A couple of V-Series Questions |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by: |
|------------>
|owner-toasters@mathworks.com |

Re: A couple of V-Series Questions [ In reply to ]
Matt, we can't retain vol0 for a couple of reasons -

1) The old heads are x86 (V3020) and new heads are x64 (N6040 / V3120),
therefore the binaries are different.
2) NetApp ONTAP on old heads, IBM ONTAP on new ones.

How about if I do a config dump and a config dump -v on the old heads and
do a config restore on the new ones before swinging the aggrs?

They are both running 7.2.6.1 (I had to downlevel the n6040 FROM 7.2.3 for
snapmirror purposes).

Bob McKim

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|Matt Hallmark <matt@cosmictoaster.com> |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Bob McKim/Omaha/IBM@IBMUS |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc: |
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|<toasters@mathworks.com> |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|------------>
|------------>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Re: A couple of V-Series Questions |
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

For #1, you are creating a new aggr and migrating data. the aggregates on
a V-Series are raid0 (aggr options aggrname to see it), so you can't fail a
drive/lun per se.

For #2, you are correct on most of the steps, but as you will be retaining
your root volumes, there's no need to re-create shares or change dns etc.

Procedurally it's:

1. Halt existing cluster and power off the nodes
2. Rack and cable the new cluster, power on the nodes and go into
maintenance mode.
3. Verify that the ports you want to use are initiators and document the
WWPN's (storage show adapter)
4. Update the zoning on the switches for the new initiator ports
5. On the back-end SAN, update your host profile to reflect the new WWPN's
6. From maint mode, reassign the LUNs from the old systemID to the new one,
repeat for the other node
7. using aggr status from maint mode, validate that you can see your
various aggrs and that you have one marked as a root aggr on each
controller
8. halt both nodes and boot them up normally.
9. Upgrade ontap if you are changing CPU architectures.

As a pre-step, you might want to validate that the version of OnTap that's
on the CF of the new controllers is compatible w/ the version of ontap
(raid labels etc). If the existing OS/raid labels etc in-use is 7.2.X, you
will very likely want to upgrade to 7.3.X before doing the head swap, as
the last V-Series I un-boxed last month was running 7.3.2GA.

Matt Hallmark