the same subnet and can indeed "ping" the target host just fine.
This same Nessus scanner performs valid scans of most all other
Windows Operating Systems (Win2000, WinXP and Win2003 Server) I have
the Vista default Firewall turned OFF. The default install had the
Firewall turned ON. What else can I try to get a meaningful scan?

Also, I am the administrator on the target Vista host so I can do
most anything with it.

Ron
Re: Nessus scanner can't see Vista [ In reply to ]
Ron wrote:
> I have been using Nessus 3.2 on OSX 10.4.11 for some time. I am
> having a problem trying to scan a Windows Vista host. My Nessus
> plugins are current.
>
> l have with ALL Nessus plugins enabled,. The scan seems to complete
> in a few minutes but there is NO data in the Nessus client. I am on
> the same subnet and can indeed "ping" the target host just fine.
> This same Nessus scanner performs valid scans of most all other
> Windows Operating Systems (Win2000, WinXP and Win2003 Server) I have
> the Vista default Firewall turned OFF. The default install had the
> Firewall turned ON. What else can I try to get a meaningful scan?
>
> Also, I am the administrator on the target Vista host so I can do
> most anything with it.

hi Ron,

Please check the logs of your Nessus scanner to see that it ran checks
against the Vista server. Also, please re-confirm that you have the
right IP address for the Vista server, and that you have the firewall
disabled. Does the Vista host have any other firewall software?

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security
RE: Nessus scanner can't see Vista [ In reply to ]
> I have been using Nessus 3.2 on OSX 10.4.11 for some time. I
> am having a problem trying to scan a Windows Vista host. My
> Nessus plugins are current.

There are several reasons why Vista scans won't work right away, and lot of
times its either the firewall, UAC or the Remote Registry service status.

> l have with ALL Nessus plugins enabled,. The scan seems to
> complete in a few minutes but there is NO data in the Nessus
> client. I am on
> the same subnet and can indeed "ping" the target host just fine.
> This same Nessus scanner performs valid scans of most all
> other Windows Operating Systems (Win2000, WinXP and Win2003
> Server) I have the Vista default Firewall turned OFF. The
> default install had the Firewall turned ON. What else can I
> try to get a meaningful scan?

You should probably look at couple of blog entries below, which give
detailed instructions to scan a Vista system. Although, the blog entry is
more catered towards FDCC compliance auditing, the steps listed should help
you scan a Vista box.

http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2008/02/testing-windows.html
http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2007/05/visit_configura.html

Hope that helps.