Mailing List Archive

copying *.nessus policies from one machine to another
What is the procedure for copying a set of *.nessus files from one
machine to another?

I'm referring to Windows version of Nessus.

I tried copying them from directory on laptop A to same location on
laptop B and they don't show up on laptop B in Nessus. I tried quitting
and re-launching nessus client on laptop B and still no luck.

What am I missing here?

Jim

James Kelly
Senior Information Assurance Engineer
SRA International, Inc.
(703)284-8266
Re: copying *.nessus policies from one machine to another [ In reply to ]
> What is the procedure for copying a set of *.nessus files from one
> machine to another?
>
> I'm referring to Windows version of Nessus.
>
> I tried copying them from directory on laptop A to same location on
> laptop B and they don't show up on laptop B in Nessus. I tried quitting
> and re-launching nessus client on laptop B and still no luck.

Try running build.exe. The plugins get compiled into .db files one
level up from the plugins directory. Deleting the .db files before
running build is roughly equivalent to the checkbox to purge the
database before updating. Just copying the .db files might also work.
Re: copying *.nessus policies from one machine to another [ In reply to ]
Bob Babcock wrote:
>> What is the procedure for copying a set of *.nessus files from one
>> machine to another?
>>
>> I'm referring to Windows version of Nessus.
>>
>> I tried copying them from directory on laptop A to same location on
>> laptop B and they don't show up on laptop B in Nessus. I tried quitting
>> and re-launching nessus client on laptop B and still no luck.
>
> Try running build.exe. The plugins get compiled into .db files one
> level up from the plugins directory. Deleting the .db files before
> running build is roughly equivalent to the checkbox to purge the
> database before updating. Just copying the .db files might also work.

Actually running build.exe would be for moving .nasl plugins around from
computers to computer.

To move a .nessus file, simply put it on the other computer, and then
use either "File -> Open" from your NessusClient, or click on the actual
.nessus file which will invoke the NessusClient.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security
RE: copying *.nessus policies from one machine to another [ In reply to ]
It could be that you have saved your session with the 'Share this policy
across multiple sessions' checkbox enabled on the first tab.
That way only the target computers are to be saved, but the selected
plugins and settings are not. Try to save the session again with this
checkbox unchecked.

Rgs,
Zsolt

________________________________

What is the procedure for copying a set of *.nessus files from one
machine to another?

I'm referring to Windows version of Nessus.

I tried copying them from directory on laptop A to same location on
laptop B and they don't show up on laptop B in Nessus. I tried quitting
and re-launching nessus client on laptop B and still no luck.

What am I missing here?

Jim

James Kelly
Senior Information Assurance Engineer
SRA International, Inc.
(703)284-8266

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.