Mailing List Archive

Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI
Hello NANOG community,

In the many years that I've been doing this line of work, I've actually never had to deal with the public registry side of the job (I've always seem to walk into an established environment). I'm struggling to get up to speed quickly, as I must integrate additional AS's into my own and our upstreams are no longer utilizing filter lists to accommodate the IP blocks being added. I'm being prompted to create route objects or establish an AS set with ours and our peers' ASNs.

I'm sure that there's an easy button out there for getting this week's work done, but I want to learn more about the system in general, but I'm having trouble putting my thumb on the right place to look for learning.

Any help you can provide, I would appreciate it!

Regards,

Eric
Re: Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI [ In reply to ]
On 5/Mar/20 03:21, Eric C. Miller wrote:
>
> Hello NANOG community,
>
>  
>
> In the many years that I’ve been doing this line of work, I’ve
> actually never had to deal with the public registry side of the job
> (I’ve always seem to walk into an established environment). I’m
> struggling to get up to speed quickly, as I must integrate additional
> AS’s into my own and our upstreams are no longer utilizing filter
> lists to accommodate the IP blocks being added. I’m being prompted to
> create route objects or establish an AS set with ours and our peers’
> ASNs.
>
>  
>
> I’m sure that there’s an easy button out there for getting this week’s
> work done, but I want to learn more about the system in general, but
> I’m having trouble putting my thumb on the right place to look for
> learning.
>
>  
>
> Any help you can provide, I would appreciate it!
>

If you live in the ARIN region, would be good to find out from them when
they plan to carry out workshops on IRR and RPKI.

There are several sources online where you can find presentations about
this, but it may be a bit hard to appreciate if you're reading it on
your own with no previous experience.

Mark.
Re: Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI [ In reply to ]
I don't manage big networks, but Cloudflare just published some related
content today I found useful.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/rpki-and-the-rtr-protocol/

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 7:23 PM Eric C. Miller <eric@ericheather.com> wrote:

> Hello NANOG community,
>
>
>
> In the many years that I’ve been doing this line of work, I’ve actually
> never had to deal with the public registry side of the job (I’ve always
> seem to walk into an established environment). I’m struggling to get up to
> speed quickly, as I must integrate additional AS’s into my own and our
> upstreams are no longer utilizing filter lists to accommodate the IP blocks
> being added. I’m being prompted to create route objects or establish an AS
> set with ours and our peers’ ASNs.
>
>
>
> I’m sure that there’s an easy button out there for getting this week’s
> work done, but I want to learn more about the system in general, but I’m
> having trouble putting my thumb on the right place to look for learning.
>
>
>
> Any help you can provide, I would appreciate it!
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> Eric
>
>
>
Re: Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI [ In reply to ]
Hi Eric,

I try to cover every aspect of RPKI on https://rpki.readthedocs.io.

It also covers the basics of IP address allocation, how IRR fits into the ecosystem and provides an overview of all the tooling that is available for RPKI.

Cheers,

Alex

> On 5 Mar 2020, at 02:21, Eric C. Miller <eric@ericheather.com> wrote:
>
> Hello NANOG community,
>
> In the many years that I’ve been doing this line of work, I’ve actually never had to deal with the public registry side of the job (I’ve always seem to walk into an established environment). I’m struggling to get up to speed quickly, as I must integrate additional AS’s into my own and our upstreams are no longer utilizing filter lists to accommodate the IP blocks being added. I’m being prompted to create route objects or establish an AS set with ours and our peers’ ASNs.
>
> I’m sure that there’s an easy button out there for getting this week’s work done, but I want to learn more about the system in general, but I’m having trouble putting my thumb on the right place to look for learning.
>
> Any help you can provide, I would appreciate it!
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
Re: Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI [ In reply to ]
Hi Eric,

RIPE NCC has a bunch of webinars, one of them covers the IRR (a bit RIPE Database focussed) https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-internet-routing-registry <https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-internet-routing-registry> and another one covers RPKI https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-resource-certification-rpki <https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-resource-certification-rpki>

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nathalie

> Op 5 mrt. 2020, om 02:21 heeft Eric C. Miller <eric@ericheather.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hello NANOG community,
>
> In the many years that I’ve been doing this line of work, I’ve actually never had to deal with the public registry side of the job (I’ve always seem to walk into an established environment). I’m struggling to get up to speed quickly, as I must integrate additional AS’s into my own and our upstreams are no longer utilizing filter lists to accommodate the IP blocks being added. I’m being prompted to create route objects or establish an AS set with ours and our peers’ ASNs.
>
> I’m sure that there’s an easy button out there for getting this week’s work done, but I want to learn more about the system in general, but I’m having trouble putting my thumb on the right place to look for learning.
>
> Any help you can provide, I would appreciate it!
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
>
Re: Learning Resource for IRR to RPKI [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 10:04:25AM +0100, Nathalie Trenaman wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> RIPE NCC has a bunch of webinars, one of them covers the IRR (a bit RIPE Database focussed) https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-internet-routing-registry <https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-internet-routing-registry> and another one covers RPKI https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-resource-certification-rpki <https://www.ripe.net/support/training/webinars/webinar-recordings/webinar-resource-certification-rpki>
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathalie
>

+1 here - these are very informative and easy to follow. Grant they're
pretty ripedb focused but are excellent and should give you all you need
to get started and look for the equivalent ways to achieve same in ARIN
as required.


>

--
- MickoD <mick@mickod.ie>