Mailing List Archive

Network configurations survey
Hi NANOG,

We have often read that CDNs/CSPs optimize their networking stack
configurations (e.g., TCP, HTTP etc.) to meet their performance/service
requirements.
Please help us in exploring the configurations used in the wild by filling
us this short survey (<10 minutes): CDN network configuration survey
<https://forms.gle/vaGNC3gHxps3Esqs9> (https://forms.gle/vaGNC3gHxps3Esqs9)

*Background:*
There’s a plethora of protocols and configuration options (TCP congestion
control, initial congestion windows, HTTP version, HTTP options etc.)
available for networking stack to address a variety of realistic network
conditions and devices. Content providers mostly hand-tune the network
stack configurations to suit the needs of underlying networks and users. We
aim to improve the tuning by building a dynamic network stack that
delegates the choice of tuning configurations to a data-driven model and
uses the optimal set of configurations for individual networks.

*Purpose of Survey:*
This survey aims to understand the networking configurations used
in-the-wild by network operators and the extent of configuration tuning
used to curate the networking stack according to the needs of underlying
networks. We also aim to understand the rationale that goes behind tuning
the stack to a certain configuration.

We expect the survey to be filled by anyone involved with content delivery,
protocol designing, next-gen protocols or network infrastructure. The
survey and collected data are anonymous and the aggregate results will be
used as part of a scientific study.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to your responses.

Usama Naseer (Brown University)

PS: We would appreciate if you could forward the email to other operators
who might not be a part of NANOG.
Re: Network configurations survey [ In reply to ]
Will you share the results? It would be good to know them.

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer
Re: Network configurations survey [ In reply to ]
Hi. Yes, I will be sharing the results (anonymously, of course). I have
been working on a research publication and the survey results will be a
part of it.

Network configurations survey [ In reply to ]
Hi NANOG,

[...]

used as part of a scientific study/NANOG presentation.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to your responses.

Usama Naseer (usama_naseer@brown.edu)