Would like to hear from you on the significance of IPV6 "Neighbor Unreachability detection (NUD)" specifically on the Router-Router link. While quick failure detection protocols like BFD are already present to detect the liveliness of the neighbor, does the providers/operators find NUD to be useful?

Rgds/
Somasundaram
Re: NUD- ipV6. [ In reply to ]
On 03/05/12 16:07, S, Somasundaram (Somasundaram) wrote:
> Hi Everyone, Would like to hear from you on the significance of IPV6
> "Neighbor Unreachability detection (NUD)" specifically on the
> Router-Router link. While quick failure detection protocols like BFD
> are already present to detect the liveliness of the neighbor, does
> the providers/operators find NUD to be useful?
>
> Rgds/ Somasundaram

Coming from an Alcatel address, presumably you're aiming for
MEF-compliance? i.e. "Can it detect a dead neighbour in 50ms or under?"
might be a better query.

I'd be interested to hear what people think, anyway. :)

Tom
Re: NUD- ipV6. [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Not useful for router-router link. However it is very useful for
first-hop redundancy in data center environment - if you cannot implement
VRRP for some reason.
Best Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Director Network and Multimedia
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Co-chair of Hungarian IPv6 Forum
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F 4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882