Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5  View All
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Feb 21, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> [...]

Allright... Which one of you jokers stole my red stapler?

Owen
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?

PC LOAD LETTER is not the issue.

One country that insists on using different paper sizes to everyone else, but also happens to set a lot of hardware and software defaults is the issue :(
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 4:02 AM, Tim Franklin <tim@pelican.org> wrote:
>> PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?
> PC LOAD LETTER is not the issue.
> One country that insists on using different paper sizes to everyone else, but also happens to set a lot of hardware and software defaults is the issue :(

LC LOAD A4
then.

--
-JH
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:02 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:

>> PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?
>
> PC LOAD LETTER is not the issue.
>
> One country that insists on using different paper sizes to everyone else, but also happens to set a lot of hardware and software defaults is the issue :(

While there is some truth to this, in reality, if everyone else would just use 8.5" x 11", then, the US would no longer be different. :p

Owen
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On 22/02/2012 15:50, Owen DeLong wrote:
> While there is some truth to this, in reality, if everyone else would
> just use 8.5" x 11", then, the US would no longer be different. :p

There are still two other countries in the world which only use imperial
measurements: Burma and Liberia. I can see you're proud to be part of this
illustrious club.

Nick
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On 2/22/12 07:50 , Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:02 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
>
>>> PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?
>>
>> PC LOAD LETTER is not the issue.
>>
>> One country that insists on using different paper sizes to everyone else, but also happens to set a lot of hardware and software defaults is the issue :(
>
> While there is some truth to this, in reality, if everyone else would just use 8.5" x 11", then, the US would no longer be different. :p

If we just stop printing things the problem goes away.

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:09, Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> wrote:
> If we just stop printing things the problem goes away.

I think Xerox promised me a paperless office
(starting in the 1980s?). I am still waiting.
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On 22-Feb-12 10:34, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:09, Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> wrote:
>> If we just stop printing things the problem goes away.
> I think Xerox promised me a paperless office (starting in the 1980s?). I am still waiting.

That's an odd thing to expect from a company that made its name in
photocopiers, printers and fax machines, i.e. machines that enabled
using /more/ paper in the office rather than less.

However, my office /is /almost entirely paperless today; everything is
done via email/web except where paper is required by the legal system.
Nearly all of what I do print is signed, scanned to PDF and shredded
within minutes.

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
http://www.sol.net/tmp/nanog/toolbox2.jpg

Ahhhh sweet memories....the 3COM/USR screwdriver. Nice to see someone still has one.

--
Jim Wininger

AW: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> I thought they already existed: http://gearomat.com/

Yeah, that's correct. You can see the first version of the series production at CeBIT Hannover this year (Hall 6 Booth K45) - the show will take place between 6th - 10th of march. We also have some free tickets for the show. If you plan to be there, let us know and drop me a line.

> That one's a FlexOptix idea, so the vending machine will indeed 'vend'
> optics and then also go on to code them for your chosen hardware.
>
> I thought it was a neat idea when I spoke to Fearghas about it a year or so
> ago, though I've still not seen one around yet.

It took a while to move from the first prototype to a ruggedized, flexible and in series produceable version.

Thomas
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Hi Jon,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Jon Lewis <jlewis@lewis.org> wrote:

> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device about
> the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless machines
> in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse.  i.e. a folding
> netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad.  I know there are
> folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want something
> far more portable.  Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive 100+ miles to
> a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and keyboard with me.
>  Has anyone actually built this yet?

What about something like this?

http://www.comsol.com.au/SL-PCC-01

cheers,
Dale
RE: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> What about something like this?
>
> http://www.comsol.com.au/SL-PCC-01
>
> cheers,
> Dale

Neat. But, apparently comsol does not sell outside of the US.
RE: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> Neat. But, apparently comsol does not sell outside of the US.

I obviously need more coffee - I meant they do not sell *into* the US. Apologies for the double-mail.
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
G'day Nathan,

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nathan@atlasnetworks.us> wrote:

> Neat.  But, apparently comsol does not sell outside of the US.

I didn't read the entire thread properly before posting my last
message (w/ link to Comsol site).

Someone else had already posted links to the same device on other
sites so I'm sure you could track one down with a bit of digging.

cheers,
Dale
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Dale Shaw wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Jon Lewis <jlewis@lewis.org> wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device about
>> the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless machines
>> in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse.  i.e. a folding
>> netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad.  I know there are
>> folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want something
>> far more portable.  Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive 100+ miles to
>> a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and keyboard with me.
>>  Has anyone actually built this yet?
>
> What about something like this?
>
> http://www.comsol.com.au/SL-PCC-01
>
> cheers,
> Dale

Or something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Console-Portable-Adapter-NOTECONS01/dp/B002CLKFTQ/

Ted Hatfield
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]