Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5  View All
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device
> about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless
> machines in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse. i.e. a
> folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad. I know
> there are folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want
> something far more portable. Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive
> 100+ miles to a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and
> keyboard with me. Has anyone actually built this yet?

Not that I know of. We used to be able to buy Proview PL456S / Mag
Innovision LT456S's 14" LCD's, which are fairly portable and small,
and combined with a small form factor keyboard, that's not a horrible
compromise. You just jam one in a little spare space in the top of a
rack. But you can't *get* them anymore. Monitor sizes have exploded
in the last half a decade. Bah.

But from our own experience, the need for a keyboard and display has
decreased dramatically in recent years. Most server grade gear these
days can be had with IPMI/iLO/whatever, and the use of ESXi makes it
uncommon for us to actually need physical KVM, which means that a small
laptop is an ever-more-flexible tool. I'm a little curious to know if
this sort of arrangement is still relatively uncommon.

I must admit that our planning and preparedness is designed around a
multi-level strategy to avoid having to go on-site to a site nearly a
thousand miles away, so we've probably instrumented things a bit more
heavily than many networks, but when the cost difference between IPMI-
capable gear and standard gear is a handful of dollars, I guess I am
a bit mystified that anyone would want to "drive 100+ miles to a
remote colo" twice a month for a task that it sounds like KVMoIP or
IPMI might be able to tackle.

... JG
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:34:58AM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a
> device about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to
> otherwise headless machines in colos that would give you keyboard,
> video & mouse. i.e. a folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB
> keyboard and touchpad. I know there are folding rackmount versions
> of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want something far more portable.
> Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive 100+ miles to a remote
> colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and keyboard with me.
> Has anyone actually built this yet?

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spiderduo.html

Get a usb ethernet adapter to plug it in if you don't want to use the
only one in your laptop.

Ethernet is a great convenience for this purpose. It is much nicer to
use a long cable to get away from the heat and cramped aisle so you can
stretch your legs while typing.

The spider duo even allows RS232 access with reverse telnet and ssh.

IMO having a portable IP KVM at every site is a very good investment.
Just ask remote hands to connect it. Then you can diagnose at home and
drive only when it is necessary. In customer sites the customer will
usually be very happy to be the remote hands, so they will get faster
repairs for less cost.
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/Portable-USB-PS-2-KVM-Console-Adapter-for-Notebook-PCs~NOTECONS01

> I'm sure there would be dozens of companies
> that would order them in a heartbeat, to be able to
> do away with the constant need for crash carts
> rolling around the datacenter aisles. Heck, even
> I'd order one--I could finally get rid of the old monitors
> I keep around the house for debugging random
> server problems in the rack upstairs. :/

Dozens is a rather small market when a production run is a couple
hundred thousand units...

Things with legacy ports on them are on the way out. given an ipmi
manager that doesn't suck there should be no reason to connect to the
machine at all, to console in. the rats nest is a lot more tractable
when there is ethernet and power and nothing else.
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
In a message written on Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:51:59AM -0800, Joel jaeggli wrote:
> Things with legacy ports on them are on the way out. given an ipmi
> manager that doesn't suck there should be no reason to connect to the
> machine at all, to console in. the rats nest is a lot more tractable
> when there is ethernet and power and nothing else.

This reminded me of another gizmo I'd like to have...

How about a Bluetooth to Serial adapter? Routers don't (yet) have
iLO, but I have this fantasy about being able to walk into a colo
with a handfull of small adapters that I simply plug on to consoles
and then sit down with my laptop and can access all the serial ports
without having to run cables.

Talk about eliminating the rat's nest....

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On 2/20/12 09:55 , Leo Bicknell wrote:
> In a message written on Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 09:51:59AM -0800, Joel jaeggli wrote:
>> Things with legacy ports on them are on the way out. given an ipmi
>> manager that doesn't suck there should be no reason to connect to the
>> machine at all, to console in. the rats nest is a lot more tractable
>> when there is ethernet and power and nothing else.
>
> This reminded me of another gizmo I'd like to have...
>
> How about a Bluetooth to Serial adapter? Routers don't (yet) have
> iLO, but I have this fantasy about being able to walk into a colo
> with a handfull of small adapters that I simply plug on to consoles
> and then sit down with my laptop and can access all the serial ports
> without having to run cables.

such a thing exists, I wouldn't consider it part of permanent oob solution.

http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-ID-SB0011-S1-RS-232-Bluetooth-Converter/dp/B001AZTABE

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/bluetooth_serial.php

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Friday, February 17, 2012 01:44:57 PM Jay Ashworth wrote:
> 2) Power cords: C19 to L6-15, C19 to C20, C13 to C20 (latter 2 for 208V PDUs)
> (If you don't have your own C13 to L6-15 cords, you're in the wrong biz)

An interesting thread.....

I'd say if you had, instead of a C13 on one end, a C15 so that it would be a tad more universal (Cisco 7507 and 12012 power supplies, for instance, are C16 and not C14 inlets), since the C15 will mate to a C14 but a C13 won't mate to a C16. As I'm still running some old kit (have a 7507 still in production in an internal role, and just removed a 12012) I have run into that.

And I'll have to be one of those who has no equipment needing an L6-15; plenty of L5-20's, L5-30's, L6-20's, L6-30's, and a few L21-30's but no 15 amp locking NEMA receptacles to be found. Is an L6-15R standard on some PDU's or something, while others are C14 and C20 (such as EMC's PDU's)?
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Joe Greco wrote:

> I must admit that our planning and preparedness is designed around a
> multi-level strategy to avoid having to go on-site to a site nearly a
> thousand miles away, so we've probably instrumented things a bit more
> heavily than many networks, but when the cost difference between IPMI-
> capable gear and standard gear is a handful of dollars, I guess I am
> a bit mystified that anyone would want to "drive 100+ miles to a
> remote colo" twice a month for a task that it sounds like KVMoIP or
> IPMI might be able to tackle.

Technically, only one of the trips was to play doctor on the remote
server...the second was to upgrade/replace other gear in the POP, but I
figured as long as I'm there, it'd really suck to be there and not have a
head for the server if I need it...so it went with me. On the second
trip, the monitor (this time a 20" because the 17" I'd taken last time had
died in the interval between the trips...or maybe as a result of its car
trip) never left the car.

Jon Lewis, MCP :) | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device
> about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless
> machines in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse. i.e. a
> folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad. I know
> there are folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want
> something far more portable. Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive
> 100+ miles to a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and
> keyboard with me. Has anyone actually built this yet?

Not quite... but there is at least one vendor who manufactures a single-head
genlock VNC server; it plugs into your VGA, KB and Mouse connectors, and has
an Ethernet connector on the other side.

This might actually be more useful, I think.

Wish I could give you a vendor name. Startech makes them with builtin KVM
switches, but I'm not sure if they have the single port model.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Ive wished this for years. Seems like it could be easy to achieve in theory.

-Mario Eirea

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> This reminded me of another gizmo I'd like to have...
>
> How about a Bluetooth to Serial adapter? Routers don't (yet) have
> iLO, but I have this fantasy about being able to walk into a colo
> with a handfull of small adapters that I simply plug on to consoles
> and then sit down with my laptop and can access all the serial ports
> without having to run cables.

C-O-N-N-E-C-T-I-C-U-T.

This is another device that's been around for some time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230748054309

That one's from Quatech (for the archives), but I know some other mfgs
make them too.

Cheers,
-- jra
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com@nanog.org Mon Feb 20 09:40:44 2012
> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:34:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jon Lewis <jlewis@lewis.org>
> To: nanog@nanog.org
> Subject: Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine
>
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, John Osmon wrote:
>
> > At my $JOB[-1] they laughed at me when I pulled a Wyse out of the
> > trash bin and stuck it on a spare crash cart.
> >
> > Then I fixed something while they were still looking for USB-Serial,
> > etc.
>
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device
> about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless
> machines in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse. i.e. a
> folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad. I know
> there are folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want
> something far more portable. Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive
> 100+ miles to a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and
> keyboard with me. Has anyone actually built this yet?

You might want to look at "Lilliput Computer" offerings
<http://www.lilliputweb.net>

Add an "Adesso Flexible compact keyboard"
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cid=6658121900308964173>

And you're in the 'in a briefcase, or a backpack' range, and nearly in
the 'in a coat pocket' range.

Not _exactly_ what you asked for -- it's two pieces, not one -- but close.
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Cage nuts.

Sent from my IPhone (pardon the typo's)

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Apple stickers

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
1. A blow-up mattress and pillow set.
2. A magic wand
3. A highly caffeinated Noc-Tech

> On Feb 17, 2012, at 1:35 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote:
>
>> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
>> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
>> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>> --
>> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
>> Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
>> Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land Rover DII
>> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

Tim Connolly
Director of IT
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Feb 20, 2012, at 7:34 AM, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, John Osmon wrote:
>
>> At my $JOB[-1] they laughed at me when I pulled a Wyse out of the
>> trash bin and stuck it on a spare crash cart.
>>
>> Then I fixed something while they were still looking for USB-Serial,
>> etc.
>
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless machines in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse. i.e. a folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad. I know there are folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want something far more portable. Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive 100+ miles to a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and keyboard with me. Has anyone actually built this yet?

Actually, everything necessary to do that is present in the new Macbook Pros with Thunderbolt.

It would just take a dongle with the VGA input and the USB outputs and some minor changes to "Target Display Mode" Software.

Owen
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
+1 for Raritan... I was very happy with their KVM switches at my last job.

Owen

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Can someone give me a link or part number on the Raritan site? I see LCD
consoles but they are the generic slide out versions. Looking for the
netbook concept referenced below....

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:16:28PM -0800, Chaim Rieger wrote:
> Apple stickers

I've got half a sheet of NeXT stickers left. Is that a reasonable
substitute?
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
http://www.raritan.com/products/kvm-over-ip/

Owen

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
The Trendnet TU-S9 (works on 32 and 64bit), it uses the prolific chip and it's pretty cheap, making it fit for a vending machine.
Trendnet could actually use the Franks Hot Sauce commercial on TV to advertise,
the one that the old lady says "I put that s$@t on everything".

P.S.: I don't work for trendnet :)

--
Michael Gatti
main. 949.371.5474

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
The 30lb sledge hammer should be in the parking lot in a enclosure with a front glass that reads "Break in case of extreme frustration" right next to the dumpster for recycling hardware.
You could make a living just with that business, replacing the front glass.

--
Michael Gatti
main. 949.371.5474

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?

--
Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Matthew Petach <mpetach@netflight.com> wrote:

> Seeing as how most laptops have a VGA connector
> and a keyboard/mouse connector on them, albeit
> wired in the wrong direction (VGA connector feeds

I see that Epiphan makes a $400 KVM2USB dongle.

http://www.epiphan.com/pdf/products_brochures/KVM2USB_brochure.pdf

--
-JH
Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Back in college we had a fund raiser as a club where we laid out a bunch of
computer parts and a sledgehammer. We charged by the swing. It was Office
Space style fun.

It's profitability far exceeded our expectations.

Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> > The 30lb sledge hammer should be in the parking lot in a
> > enclosure with a front glass that reads "Break in case of
> > extreme frustration" right next to the dumpster for
> > recycling hardware.
> >
> > You could make a living just with that business,
> > replacing the front glass.
>
> PC LOAD LETTER?!?!?!?!?

I prefer OUT OF CHEESE myself.

Cheers,