been re-written to use a real xml feed from the Radio Times website.

We now get a real feed with a full blown categories, actors, the lot,
AND it only takes a few minutes to download. Yay!

Big kudos to all the xmltv folks and the Radio Times for getting this
working.
--
Julian Edwards
http://www.julian-edwards.com/
Re: UK xmltv grabber is working again! [ In reply to ]
Julian Edwards wrote:
> Just did an apt-get upgrade and noticed the xmltv grabbers were
> updated. I had a quick look at the tv_grab_uk_rt code and noticed it's
> been re-written to use a real xml feed from the Radio Times website.
>
> We now get a real feed with a full blown categories, actors, the lot,
> AND it only takes a few minutes to download. Yay!
>
> Big kudos to all the xmltv folks and the Radio Times for getting this
> working.

RadioTimes have been great about this. They cut off the last grabber by
rejecting the user agent IDs. I thought this is it, and I'm gonna have to look
for a new grabber. But they instead gave us access to their raw files e.g.
http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat
http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/45.dat

You may notice the data is all in one big lump for the next 14 days so you only
need to fetch it once.
You may have to change the lines in your daily grab cron job from letting
mythfilldatabase decide which days to fetch to just importing the the file
(otherwise it will fetch the same data several times).

/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --update --graboptions "--slow --get-categories"&

/usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --config-file /root/.mythtv/uk_rt.xmltv\

--
Charlie Brej
APT Group, Dept. Computer Science, University of Manchester
Re: UK xmltv grabber is working again! [ In reply to ]
This is fantastic. They have been really helpful. I wonder if we should
offer to mirror data to reduce load on their servers. (may have to check
legal implications). After all they are providing data free of cost.

I guess all the emails we sent to them did the trick!

Re: UK xmltv grabber is working again! [ In reply to ]
Prash wrote:
> This is fantastic. They have been really helpful. I wonder if we should
> offer to mirror data to reduce load on their servers. (may have to check
> legal implications). After all they are providing data free of cost.
>
> I guess all the emails we sent to them did the trick!

From xmltv website:
"The tv_grab_uk_rt grabber gets machine-readable data from the radiotimes.com
site. They would like me to point out that all data is the copyright of the
Radio Times website (http://www.radiotimes.com/) and the use of this data is
restricted to personal use only."

So I wouldn't if I were you. Besides, 40Kb per channel for 14 days is tiny. Prob
less than 1% of what we were grabbing before.

The only problem I found so far is that they release the new days programming
(14 days ahead) after 6am (after my grabber). I'm gonna have to figure out what
time it changes and get it then. I'm only obsessed because I can't wait for
"Little Britain" ;)

Re: UK xmltv grabber is working again! [ In reply to ]
I've just tried the --configure command and it crashes.!

[root@localhost root]# tv_grab_uk_rt --configure
All data is the copyright of the Radio Times website
<http://www.radiotimes.com> and the use of this data is restricted to
personal use only.

finding channels: 0% [
]RT id 1482 (VH2) not known in channel ids file
RT id 1856 (ABC1) not known in channel ids file
finding channels: 100%
[=======================================================]using config
filename /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt.conf
The configuration file /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt.conf
already exists. There is currently no support for altering an
existing configuration: you have to reconfigure from scratch.

Do you wish to overwrite the old configuration? [yes,no (default=no)] yes
Enter the name of a channel, or '.' to finish selecting channels: bbc1
Which channel to add? bbc2
Died at /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt line 257, <STDIN> line 3.

Re: UK xmltv grabber is working again! [ In reply to ]
Prash wrote:
> I've just tried the --configure command and it crashes.!
>

> [root@localhost root]# tv_grab_uk_rt --configure
> All data is the copyright of the Radio Times website
> <http://www.radiotimes.com> and the use of this data is restricted to
> personal use only.
>
> finding channels: 0% [
> ]RT id 1482 (VH2) not known in channel ids file
> RT id 1856 (ABC1) not known in channel ids file
> finding channels: 100%
> [=======================================================]using config
> filename /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt.conf
> The configuration file /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt.conf
> already exists. There is currently no support for altering an
> existing configuration: you have to reconfigure from scratch.
>
> Do you wish to overwrite the old configuration? [yes,no (default=no)] yes
> Enter the name of a channel, or '.' to finish selecting channels: bbc1
> Which channel to add? bbc2
> Died at /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt line 257, <STDIN> line 3.

That is a real bug but I see you already reported it to xmltv.
In the mean time try typing in the exact channel name from:
http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat
e.g. "BBC2 North West"