Mailing List Archive

tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase
I'm having some fun getting mythfilldatabase to work with the xml I pull
down from tv_grab_au and would appreciate a hand if there is anyone out
there who has gotten past the same hurdles.

The rig is 2.8GHz, Intel board, FC1, PVR350, install according to Jarod plus
X on the framebuffer. (Thankyou Daniel et al)

>From what I can gather mythfilldatabase wants to run tv_grab_au and then
suck in the generated xml, parse it and stick it in the database. Is that
correct?

I've setup tv_grab_au and have run it successfully to grab
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv. (this file now contains a bunch of what looks
to me to be valid XML)

If I try to run mythfilldatabase without any options I get:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2004.09.06 16:32:41
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

mythfilldatabase

----------------- Start of XMLTV output -----------------

tv_grab_au - (version 0.6 - release 2004-07-19)

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:1: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:2: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:4: bad line

.

.

[lotsa lines removed for brevity]

.

.

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7139: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7140: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7141: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7142: bad line

No channels specified, run me with --configure

------------------ End of XMLTV output ---

This would make me think that mythfilldatabase is trying to run tv_grab_au
but is unable to reference the config that I created when I ran tv_grab_au
manually with -configure. Do I need to add something to the path or move
some config files around?

The standard Myth manual at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.1 seems to indicate that
I need to run mythfilldatabase with the -manual option which will allow me
to enter in the channel details. When I do this however I get :

.

.

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7141: bad line

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv:7142: bad line

No channels specified, run me with --configure

------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------

Error in 3:1: unexpected end of file

Updating icons for sourceid: 1

Failed to fetch some program info

Which looks like the same error as above and it doesn't prompt me for diddly
squat.

Any ideas and / or a pointer to a How-To for tv_grab_au / Myth?

I'll copy my /home/mythtv/.mythtv directory to
http://www.rave-tech.com.au/mythtv/ in case this helps.

Regards

Marty
Re: tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Run mythtvsetup first.

Go to the screen where you specify your tv_grab_au settings and click OK

It will try and fetch data and will be on your terminal - so yu have to
press alt+tab to get to terminal.

Type the channel you want and select. Finish when done.

This will create a xmltv file under .mythtv directory.

Run mythfilldatabase --manual and answer the questions.

I wish someone wrote a patch for channel scanning on PVR-X50!

Re: tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Martin Ravell wrote:

> I'm having some fun getting mythfilldatabase to work with the xml I
> pull down from tv_grab_au and would appreciate a hand if there is
> anyone out there who has gotten past the same hurdles.
>

> The rig is 2.8GHz, Intel board, FC1, PVR350, install according to
> Jarod plus X on the framebuffer. (Thankyou Daniel et al)
>

> From what I can gather mythfilldatabase wants to run tv_grab_au and
> then suck in the generated xml, parse it and stick it in the database.
> Is that correct?
>

> I've setup tv_grab_au and have run it successfully to grab
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv. (this file now contains a bunch of what
> looks to me to be valid XML)
>

> If I try to run mythfilldatabase without any options I get:
>
> <>

<> I've never successfully been able to run tv_grab_au from mythsetup.
Your best bet is to killall tv_grab_au when MythSetup is trying to work
out the configuration. Mythsetup will complain about being unable to
retreive channels. Do the rest of your setup. When you exit from
Mythsetup, it will prompt you to run mythfilldatabase. Don't.

<>Start off by typing tv_grab_au --configure and follow the prompts to
select the right stations for your area. Once this is finished, you
will find tv_grab_au.conf in the .xmltv directory. Copy this to the
.mythtv directory as <source name>.xmltv. For example, if you defined
your source as "FTA", copy it there as FTA.xmltv.

<>*Now* you're ready to run mythfilldatabase.

<>Let me know how you go.

<>
Re: tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
Martin Ravell wrote:

> I’ve setup tv_grab_au and have run it successfully to grab
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/Oz.xmltv. (this file now contains a bunch of what
> looks to me to be valid XML)

I probably should have mentioned that your .xmltv file should *not* look
like valid HTML. Mine looks like this...

-----8><--------- snip
# tv_grab_au 0.6 config file
region Melbourne
service freesd
# "channel name" and "frequency" can be changed to suit
# [+yes/-no] [channel ID] [channel name] [frequency]
+channel freesd.Melbourne.SBS "SBS DIGITAL 1" 3
-channel freesd.Melbourne.SBS-2 "SBS DIGITAL 2" 33
-channel freesd.Melbourne.SBS-EPG "SBS EPG" 31
+channel freesd.Melbourne.2 "ABC TV Melbourne" 2
-channel freesd.Melbourne.2-2 "ABC TV 2" 21
-channel freesd.Melbourne.2-3 "ABC TV 3" 22
-channel freesd.Melbourne.2-4 "ABC TV 4" 23
+channel freesd.Melbourne.10 "TEN Digital" 1
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10-1 "TEN Digital 1" 13
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10-2 "TEN Digital 2" 14
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10-3 "TEN Digital 3" 15
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10a "TEN Digital" 10
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10-EPG "TEN Guide" 11
-channel freesd.Melbourne.10-EPG2 "TEN Guide" 100
+channel freesd.Melbourne.7 "7 Digital" 7
-channel freesd.Melbourne.7-1 "7 Olympic Extra" 71
-channel freesd.Melbourne.7-2 "7 Digital 2" 72
-channel freesd.Melbourne.7-3 "7 Digital 3" 73
-channel freesd.Melbourne.7-EPG "7 Program Guide" 77
+channel freesd.Melbourne.9 "Nine Digital" 9
-channel freesd.Melbourne.9-EPG "Nine Guide" 99
-----8><--------- snip
Re: tv_grab_au and mythfilldatabase [ In reply to ]
I managed to get tv_grab_au running OK last night. Couple of things I
did wrong are:

- Didn't have it defined in my $PATH
- Didn't have all of the Perl libs (if I remember rightly)

It is also important to note that tv_grab_au requires input from the
command line even when invoked from Myth. Alt + Tab to the command
line to select your region and input type.

I now have the programs available in the program search page, but
whenever I try and move around in the EPG, I get a "Segmentation
Error"

Dave

PS - I am a linux newby (3 days) so if this info was useless please explain.