does it fix the crashing problem with OpenGL sync that John Poet showed
me. I have no idea if it re-enables overscan, as I don't use it.

-Doug
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 30 June 2004 17:21, Doug Larrick wrote:
> Get it while it's hot! nVidia's 1.0-6106 driver is released.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6106.html

About freakin' time!!! :-)

Axel, I presume you'll have kernel module rpms available in the next ten
minutes. ;-)

> For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
> 1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
> you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540. Here's my
> working modeline:
>
> Modeline "1080i" 79.84 1920 2040 2200 2368 1080 1090 1106 1125 +vsync
> -hsync interlace
>
> This driver does not re-enable /dev/nvidia0 vertical retrace sync, nor
> does it fix the crashing problem with OpenGL sync that John Poet showed
> me. I have no idea if it re-enables overscan, as I don't use it.

Looks like my evening just got re-prioritized... I assume these are also
4kstacks-clean for the latest 2.6 kernels (off to read the changelog now).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw@wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 05:35:47PM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 June 2004 17:21, Doug Larrick wrote:
> > Get it while it's hot! nVidia's 1.0-6106 driver is released.
> >
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6106.html
>
> About freakin' time!!! :-)
>
> Axel, I presume you'll have kernel module rpms available in the next ten
> minutes. ;-)

You mean half an hour ago ;)
I will upload tomorrow, as I am currently overdue with sleep
deficiency ...

> > For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
> > 1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
> > you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540. Here's my
> > working modeline:
> >
> > Modeline "1080i" 79.84 1920 2040 2200 2368 1080 1090 1106 1125 +vsync
> > -hsync interlace
> >
> > This driver does not re-enable /dev/nvidia0 vertical retrace sync, nor
> > does it fix the crashing problem with OpenGL sync that John Poet showed
> > me. I have no idea if it re-enables overscan, as I don't use it.
>
> Looks like my evening just got re-prioritized... I assume these are also
> 4kstacks-clean for the latest 2.6 kernels (off to read the changelog now).

That's the even better news! :) :) :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 30 June 2004 17:35, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I assume these are also
> 4kstacks-clean for the latest 2.6 kernels (off to read the changelog now).

They are.

Version: 1.0-6106
Operating System: Linux IA32
Release Date: June 30, 2004

Release Highlights:
-Added support for GeForce 6800 series of GPUs
-Added support for PCI-Express
-Added support for GLSL (OpenGL Shading Language).
-Added support for GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object.
-Fixed problem that prevented 32-bit kernel driver from running on certain
AMD64 CPUs.
-Added support for ACPI
-Added support for 4kstack kernels.
-Added configuration utility "nvidia-settings". For details, see the user
guide
-Added a shell script "nvidia-bug-report.sh" that gathers system configuration
information into a log file; the resulting log file (nvidia-bug-report.log)
should be included when reporting bugs to NVIDIA.
-Added a new Xv adaptor on GeForce4 and GeForce FX which uses the 3D engine to
do Xv PutImage requests.

That last one is intriguing... I'm wondering what advantages that might hold
for HDTV...

Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
On July 1, 2004 12:21 am, Doug Larrick wrote:
> This driver does not re-enable /dev/nvidia0 vertical retrace sync, nor
> does it fix the crashing problem with OpenGL sync that John Poet showed
> me. I have no idea if it re-enables overscan, as I don't use it.

Just installed. Not only can I confirm that Overscan is working, the new nvidia-settings
control panel lets you change it on the fly without restarting X. Way cool.
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
Doug Larrick wrote:

> Get it while it's hot! nVidia's 1.0-6106 driver is released.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-6106.html
>
> For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes
> (i.e. 1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to
> 1920x1080; you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540.
> Here's my working modeline:
>
> Modeline "1080i" 79.84 1920 2040 2200 2368 1080 1090 1106 1125 +vsync
> -hsync interlace
>
> This driver does not re-enable /dev/nvidia0 vertical retrace sync, nor
> does it fix the crashing problem with OpenGL sync that John Poet
> showed me. I have no idea if it re-enables overscan, as I don't use it.
>
> -Doug

Awsome, it works!

Your modeline works, but I am going to have to tweak it some for my
display. Too much vertical overscan on my TV.

Thanks,

John

RE: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
So does this mean I can do tv-out interlaced with this driver now?

Johnny Lee

Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
> So does this mean I can do tv-out interlaced with this driver now?

Here is a snip from the README

(app-l) APPENDIX L: PROGRAMMING MODES

The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Driver Set supports all standard VGA and
VESA modes, as well as most user-written custom mode lines; double-scan
modes are supported on all hardware. Interlaced modes are supported on
all GeForce FX/Quadro FX and newer GPUs, and certain older GPUs; the X
log file will contain a message "Interlaced video modes are supported
on this GPU" if interlaced modes are supported.

Now it's time to see if mine can handle it :)

(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU

Woooo! Now it's time to play with some new modelines :)
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
>For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
>1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
>you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540. Here's my
>working modeline:

I'm confused, if you made a 1080i modeline, aren't you changing your gui to
1920x1080i? I don't really get the difference between video resolution and
gui resolution in X.

Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
> So does this mean I can do tv-out interlaced with this driver now?

And it appears that the nvidia-settings app shows a lot of controls for
syncing to vblanc and for tv overscan/flicker filter/etc controls. I'm
one happy camper right now :)
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
Greg Estabrooks wrote:

> Here is a snip from the README
>
>(app-l) APPENDIX L: PROGRAMMING MODES
>
>The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Driver Set supports all standard VGA and
>VESA modes, as well as most user-written custom mode lines; double-scan
>modes are supported on all hardware. Interlaced modes are supported on
>all GeForce FX/Quadro FX and newer GPUs, and certain older GPUs; the X
>log file will contain a message "Interlaced video modes are supported
>on this GPU" if interlaced modes are supported.
>

> Now it's time to see if mine can handle it :)
>
>(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
>
> Woooo! Now it's time to play with some new modelines :)

Don't keep us in suspense... Which GPU do you have? I'm looking at
getting a GeForce 4 MX440 and want to know if it is supported.

Thanks.

Mike
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
HI!

Doug Larrick wrote:

> Get it while it's hot! nVidia's 1.0-6106 driver is released.

Does anyone know how to enable real interlacing with this beast? The old
driver 4363 always tried to deinterlace/smooth the picture which
resulted in jerky motion often.

This is my current config (GeForce FX 5200):

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "PAL TV"
ModelName "Sony"
HorizSync 30-50
VertRefresh 50
ModeLine "640x480x50" 21.0 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525
ModeLine "800x600x50" 33.1584 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Option "RenderAccel" "1"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.7"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "800x600x50" "640x480x50"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks!

Thomas
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
Jim Coates wrote:
>>For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
>>1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
>>you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540. Here's my
>>working modeline:
>

> I'm confused, if you made a 1080i modeline, aren't you changing your gui to
> 1920x1080i? I don't really get the difference between video resolution and
> gui resolution in X.

I also have a 960x540 (progressive) modeline, and code I've recently
added to Myth allows using one for GUI and the other for video. This
helps because the progressive mode avoids flicker in the GUI. (It
helped even more when the alternatives were 1920x540p vs. 960x540p, and
the text in the GUI ended up tall & thin in the preferred video mode.)

BTW, when I wrote my description above I obviously had overscan on the
brain -- I meant "turn of deinterlacing".

-Doug
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
I get this on my 440MX:

[...]
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU detected as: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.18.20.07.23
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
[...]

Now to figure out how to use it and whether it makes a difference on my crappy
TV.... :)

aaron

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:49:28 -0400 spake Michael of:

Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
Doug Larrick wrote:

> Jim Coates wrote:
>
>>> For HDTV users: this new driver finally supports interlaced modes (i.e.
>>> 1080i). Turn off overscan and set your video resolution to 1920x1080;
>>> you probably want to leave the GUI resolution at 960x540. Here's my
>>> working modeline:
>>

>> I'm confused, if you made a 1080i modeline, aren't you changing your
>> gui to
>> 1920x1080i? I don't really get the difference between video
>> resolution and
>> gui resolution in X.
>

> I also have a 960x540 (progressive) modeline, and code I've recently
> added to Myth allows using one for GUI and the other for video. This
> helps because the progressive mode avoids flicker in the GUI. (It
> helped even more when the alternatives were 1920x540p vs. 960x540p,
> and the text in the GUI ended up tall & thin in the preferred video
> mode.)
>
> BTW, when I wrote my description above I obviously had overscan on the
> brain -- I meant "turn of deinterlacing".
>
> -Doug

Do you think it would make sense (if not already done) to have the patch
switch modes (to 1080i) based on the channel / recording? I tried the
1080i mode lastnight and although it looks good, the video is not as
clear as before because of the extra video scaling it has to do. I run
at 888x540 and it looks really good. I think we would want to switch to
1080i only on channels or recordings that are from an HDTV source, or
maybe DVD's.

- James

Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
James Armstrong wrote:
> Do you think it would make sense (if not already done) to have the patch
> switch modes (to 1080i) based on the channel / recording? I tried the
> 1080i mode lastnight and although it looks good, the video is not as
> clear as before because of the extra video scaling it has to do. I run
> at 888x540 and it looks really good. I think we would want to switch to
> 1080i only on channels or recordings that are from an HDTV source, or
> maybe DVD's.

I think John Poet's working on something like this.

-Doug
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Doug Larrick wrote:

> James Armstrong wrote:
> > Do you think it would make sense (if not already done) to have the patch
> > switch modes (to 1080i) based on the channel / recording? I tried the
> > 1080i mode lastnight and although it looks good, the video is not as
> > clear as before because of the extra video scaling it has to do. I run
> > at 888x540 and it looks really good. I think we would want to switch to
> > 1080i only on channels or recordings that are from an HDTV source, or
> > maybe DVD's.
>
> I think John Poet's working on something like this.
>
> -Doug

Yup. Even had it working a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it is broken
again. I will work on it some more tonight.

James, what I am doing is allowing you to specify what output (display)
resolution you want to switch to, based on the resolution of the video you
are trying to watch. It also allows you to toggle the aspect ratio between
4:3 and 16:9 on a per resolution basis.

John
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
>Yup. Even had it working a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, it is broken
>again. I will work on it some more tonight.
>
>James, what I am doing is allowing you to specify what output (display)
>resolution you want to switch to, based on the resolution of the video you
>are trying to watch. It also allows you to toggle the aspect ratio between
>4:3 and 16:9 on a per resolution basis.
>

>John

Very nice. I think this is a great way to handle it. Can't wait to try
it out. My pcHDTV card should be in any day.

- James
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
Re: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]
I've noticed that ebuilds for Gentoo have just become available.
RE: New nVidia driver [ In reply to ]