27613 (Raleigh, NC). Is anyone else having issues with tv_grab_na?

I was wondering if anyone has written a filter to take the zap2it data
direct listings and back port them in to a .14 system. I run KnoppMyth and
would like to stay on it as everything is stable and functioning well (and
my wifi card isn't supported in newer kernels as the driver is closed
source).

Thanks.

-Jeff
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Jeff C wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has written a filter to take the zap2it data
> direct listings and back port them in to a .14 system. I run KnoppMyth and
> would like to stay on it as everything is stable and functioning well (and
> my wifi card isn't supported in newer kernels as the driver is closed
> source).

I think I may have something working for me. Actually, I just got it
working so I may still find more problems as I go along, but so far the
only problem I've seen are some minor format glitches on MythWeb.

I pieced this together from other postings to this list and from the
tv_grab_na_dd code. There's nothing new here; I didn't invent any of
it. I'm simply posting it all here in one place in the hope that it
might help tide people over who don't want to run from CVS until the
official 0.15 release comes out. If anyone has corrections,
suggestions, improvements, etc., just post them as replies. If you are
reading this sometime in the future, I suggest reading the entire chain
before implementing to make sure you get the best version.

Note: The following assumes you are building XMLTV from source. If
you're getting it via ATRPMS, then skip steps 3 and 4 and just apt-get
the newest version of XMLTV.

1) Register at http://labs.zap2it.com using code 'TGYM-ZKOC-BUTV'
(Letter O, not zero)

2) Record your new username and password and choose the proper
lineup and channels.

3) Update/install all of the XMLTV prereq's:

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install XML::Twig
cpan> install Date::Manip
cpan> install LWP
cpan> install XML::Writer
cpan> install SOAP::Lite
cpan> exit

4) Download, unpack, build, and install the lastest version of XMLTV.
Be sure to build tv_grab_na_dd.

5) Compute your local offset from GMT (UTC), ie: -0400 from GMT to EDT

6) With username, password, and GMT offset in hand, and while logged
in as the same user that will make the datadirect requests, do:

$ tv_grab_na_dd --configure

and answer the questions.

7) Execute the following parts of (the soon to be published)
section 21.19 of the HOWTO, "Migrating from XMLTV to
DataDirect". Specifically (all one line):

$ mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c >
/tmp/mythtv_backup.sql

Look at mythtv_backup.sql and verify it is good before proceeding.

$ mysql -u root mythconverg

mysql>delete from program;
mysql>delete from channel;
mysql>truncate table videosource;
mysql>exit

Don't bother rerunning the MythTV setup program if you are
using 0.14 or previous.

8) Install the following script in place of 'mythfilldatabasecron'
or whatever you use to pull down the listings. Make sure that
it is run under the same userid as did the configuration in
step 6. Otherwise it won't be able to find the configuration
file.

Note: This script contains bits and pieces stolen from a lot
of different places, but most of it is from from Mike Dean's
post. If you have multiple lineups to deal with, refer back
to his post for a method of handling them. There is also an
XMLTV utility called tv_cat that can be used to concatenate
multiple files together after downloading them separately.
Check the XMLTV source for details.

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd

# temporary filename
dirname='/tmp'
filename="tv-${RANDOM}${RANDOM}"
xml_file=${dirname}/${filename}.xml

# Should be 1 after step 7...
sourceid=1

# replace all data
offset=-1

# How many days worth of guide data to download
numdays=10

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --output ${xml_file} --days ${numdays} && \
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${sourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file}

# Remove the temporary file
rm ${xml_file}

If you're happy with the results, don't ever run tv_grab_na again.

However, if the whole thing blows up in your face and you want to back
out of it, execute section 21.6 of the HOWTO to drop the database, and
then run the restore database part of section 21.5.

I encountered one very funky problem that is probably due to a unique
glitch in my system and likely won't bother anyone else. However, just
in case, I'll mention it. Initially, tv_grab_na_dd returned four days
worth of guide data no matter how much was asked for, be it 0 or 10 or
whatever. Inspection of the downloaded dd data revealed the following
message:

<message>The endTime you specified -05-17T05:00:00Z is not in a valid
format, and has been corrected to a default value.</message>
<message>The endTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to
2004-05-12T05:00:00Z.</message>

For some reason, the year is missing off of the front of the endTime.
The relevant line in tv_grab_na_dd is:

$dd_data->print($soap->download("<startTime>$dd_start</startTime><endTime>$dd_stop</endTime>"));

Printing the contents of $dd_stop revealed a perfectly formed stop time,
so there's some problem in the module that handles the transmission.
However, just for grins, I changed that line to read:

$dd_data->print($soap->download("<startTime>$dd_start</startTime><endTime>2004$dd_stop</endTime>"));

After that, everything worked properly for me. I have no idea why. If
I have time, I'll look into it, but hopefully 0.15 will be out before
2005 rolls around...
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
William Powers wrote:

> Jeff C wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone has written a filter to take the zap2it data
>> direct listings and back port them in to a .14 system. I run
>> KnoppMyth and
>> would like to stay on it as everything is stable and functioning well
>> (and
>> my wifi card isn't supported in newer kernels as the driver is closed
>> source).
>

> I think I may have something working for me. Actually, I just got it
> working so I may still find more problems as I go along, but so far
> the only problem I've seen are some minor format glitches on MythWeb.
>
> I pieced this together from other postings to this list and from the
> tv_grab_na_dd code. There's nothing new here; I didn't invent any of
> it. I'm simply posting it all here in one place in the hope that it
> might help tide people over who don't want to run from CVS until the
> official 0.15 release comes out. If anyone has corrections,
> suggestions, improvements, etc., just post them as replies. If you
> are reading this sometime in the future, I suggest reading the entire
> chain before implementing to make sure you get the best version.

[snip]

Or you could start using CVS which no longer needs XMLTV for using
DataDirect.
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 10:44, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> Or you could start using CVS which no longer needs XMLTV for using
> DataDirect.

How stable is CVS for daily use? I don't mind finding/fixing bugs, but
my wife doesn't want to have to deal with crashes.

David
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
J. Donavan Stanley wrote:

> Or you could start using CVS which no longer needs XMLTV for using
> DataDirect.

Yes, that's true. That's fine for some people, but I for one have
already had several bad experiences running CVS versions. In my case,
my system is effectively a production system and if it hiccups, my
family will make me suffer for it. For example, if last Thursday
night's "Friends" episode were to suddenly become unplayable, I would
have to leave the country...

Once the next version is out for a week or two with no complaints, then
I'll start planning to upgrade.

:)
RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
> How stable is CVS for daily use? I don't mind finding/fixing
> bugs, but my wife doesn't want to have to deal with crashes.
>
> David

It depends on what day you pull your source code. I am running the cvs based
bleeding distro for Fedora Core (atrpm) and it seems to be quite stable and
bug free. It's built from the cvs of about 1 week ago.
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
David Hampton wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 10:44, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>

>>Or you could start using CVS which no longer needs XMLTV for using
>>DataDirect.
>>

>How stable is CVS for daily use? I don't mind finding/fixing bugs, but
>my wife doesn't want to have to deal with crashes.

I run CVS on my main machines, though they're not always on the bleeding
edge. My main machine is CVS + my changes which then gets synced up
periodicly. I've had far fewer problems with CVS than I have with .14,
and my wife is happy since a lot of the changes I made have been at her
request.

Just watch the commits and dev lists. If there's a problem with a
recent commit it'll show up within a few hours.

The internal DataDirect grabber is nice by the way. I just made the
switch myself. If you DO end up switching make sure to read the docs on
how to switch.
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 19:09, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> I run CVS on my main machines, though they're not always on the bleeding
> edge. My main machine is CVS + my changes which then gets synced up
> periodicly. I've had far fewer problems with CVS than I have with .14,
> and my wife is happy since a lot of the changes I made have been at her
> request.

Me too... for the most part...

> The internal DataDirect grabber is nice by the way. I just made the
> switch myself. If you DO end up switching make sure to read the docs on
> how to switch.

Couple of problems with this one. I've apparently lost the ability to
have one tuner support the analog channels (2-83) while the other
supports the digital channels using a different feed (2-503).

Also the command line for bringing back the channel icons didn't work
for me.

UPDATE channel,channel_copy SET channel.icon = channel_copy.icon WHERE
channel.callsign = channel_copy.callsign;

gave me a 1064 error. Fedora core 1, mysql 3.23.58

-Ian
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Ian Forde wrote:

>>The internal DataDirect grabber is nice by the way. I just made the
>>switch myself. If you DO end up switching make sure to read the docs on
>>how to switch.
>>

>Couple of problems with this one. I've apparently lost the ability to
>have one tuner support the analog channels (2-83) while the other
>supports the digital channels using a different feed (2-503).

How so? Create a second account (since you can't list the same provider
twice on the same account) that only includes the lower channels.

>Also the command line for bringing back the channel icons didn't work
>for me.
>
>UPDATE channel,channel_copy SET channel.icon = channel_copy.icon WHERE
>channel.callsign = channel_copy.callsign;

Yeah, that's a mysql 4.x command.
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 02:37, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> How so? Create a second account (since you can't list the same provider
> twice on the same account) that only includes the lower channels.

Okay - I thought I had to create a second listing with the same account
that has different channels... I'll try your way... if it works, I'll
post back to the list, as it should be in the docs...

> >Also the command line for bringing back the channel icons didn't work
> >for me.
> >
> >UPDATE channel,channel_copy SET channel.icon = channel_copy.icon WHERE
> >channel.callsign = channel_copy.callsign;
> >

> Yeah, that's a mysql 4.x command.

Yeah... then the HOWTO on the mythtv.org website needs to be updated...
what's the mysql 3.x command for this?

-I
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Ian Forde wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 02:37, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
>

>>How so? Create a second account (since you can't list the same provider
>>twice on the same account) that only includes the lower channels.
>>

>Okay - I thought I had to create a second listing with the same account
>that has different channels... I'll try your way... if it works, I'll
>post back to the list, as it should be in the docs...

Off hand that's the only way I could see to do it. You might want to
provide feedback to Zap2It and explain why some folks would need the
same provider listed twice on one account.

>>>Also the command line for bringing back the channel icons didn't work
>>>for me.
>>>
>>>UPDATE channel,channel_copy SET channel.icon = channel_copy.icon WHERE
>>>channel.callsign = channel_copy.callsign;
>>>

>>Yeah, that's a mysql 4.x command.
>>

>Yeah... then the HOWTO on the mythtv.org website needs to be updated...
>what's the mysql 3.x command for this?

I'm not sure if it can be done straight from the mysql prompt... I could
probably hack some perl together real quick to do it.

Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
My original procedure posted earlier did not work out. I thought I
could avoid using the --old-chan-id argument to tv_grab_na_dd, but it
resulted in some subtle but extremely devastating database problems. In
this case, the cure is far worse than the disease. Accordingly, I
suggest using the following procedure and script, which uses
--old-chan-id, and which is working much better for me.

To repeat, do not use the procedure and script in my original post. Rev
A of the procedure is as follows:

1) Register at http://labs.zap2it.com using code 'TGYM-ZKOC-BUTV'
(Letter O, not zero)

2) Record your new username and password and choose the proper
lineup and channels.

3) Update/install all of the XMLTV prereq's (If you're upgrading
XMLTV from ATrpms, you can skip this step and step 4).

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install XML::Twig
cpan> install Date::Manip
cpan> install LWP
cpan> install XML::Writer
cpan> install SOAP::Lite
cpan> exit

4) Download, unpack, build, and install the lastest version of XMLTV.
Be sure to build tv_grab_na_dd, although that is now the default
since tv_grab_na has been retired.

5) Compute your local offset from GMT (UTC), ie: -0400 from GMT to EDT

6) With username, password, and GMT offset in hand, and while logged
in as the same user that will make the DataDirect requests, do:

$ tv_grab_na_dd --configure

and answer the questions.

7) Back up your database per section 21.5 of the HOWTO.

8) Determine your sourceid. The easiest way is to use "phpmyadmin" if
you already have it installed, but this way is pretty easy too:

# mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> select * from videosource;

Record your sourceid.

mysql> quit

9) Install the following script in place of 'mythfilldatabasecron'
or whatever you use to pull down the listings. Make sure that
it is run under the same userid as did the configuration in
step 6. Otherwise it won't be able to find the configuration
file. Change the sourceid, if necessary, to be the same as
determined in step 8.

Note: This script contains bits and pieces stolen from a lot
of different places, but most of it is from from Mike Dean's
post. If you have multiple lineups to deal with, refer back
to his post for a method of handling them. There is also an
XMLTV utility called tv_cat that can be used to concatenate
multiple files together after downloading them separately.
Check the XMLTV source for details.

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd

# temporary filename
dirname='/tmp'
filename="tv-${RANDOM}${RANDOM}"
xml_file=${dirname}/${filename}.xml

# From step 8
sourceid=1

# replace all data
offset=-1

# How many days worth of guide data to download
numdays=10

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --output ${xml_file} --days ${numdays} \
--old-chan-id && \
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${sourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file}

# Remove the temporary file
rm ${xml_file}

If the whole thing blows up in your face and you want to back
out of it, execute section 21.6 of the HOWTO to drop the database, and
then run the restore database part of section 21.5 using the backup you
made in step 7.

Yes, I know you can avoid all of this by running from CVS. Anyone who
wishes to do so has my encouragement.
Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Here's a version of the file that is intended to grab data from two
different lineups, one from standard cable and the other from digital.
I hope you can comment on whether this script will work.

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd

# temporary filename
dirname='/tmp'
filename="tv-${RANDOM}${RANDOM}"
xml_file_a=${dirname}/${filename}_a.xml
xml_file_b=${dirname}/${filename}_b.xml
dd_file=${dirname}/${filename}_dd.xml

# Should be 1 after step 7...
asourceid=1
bsourceid=2

# replace all data
offset=-1

# How many days worth of guide data to download
numdays=10

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --config-file=/etc/analog.dat --output
${xml_file_a} --days ${numdays} --old-chan-id --dd-data=${dd_file}
/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --config-file=/etc/digital.dat --output
${xml_file_b} --days ${numdays} --old-chan-id --dd-data=${dd_file}
--reprocess
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${asourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file_a}
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${bsourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file_b}

# Remove the temporary file
rm ${xml_file_a}
rm ${xml_file_b}
rm ${dd_file}

Re: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Gerald Schepens wrote:
> Here's a version of the file that is intended to grab data from two
> different lineups, one from standard cable and the other from digital.
> I hope you can comment on whether this script will work.

I can't comment directly because I've never personally dealt with
multiple lineups. It *looks* like Mike Dean's script, which he vouched
for, and from what I know about tv_grab_na_dd, I think it should work.

Best advice I can give is to backup your database first and then try it!

As a refinement, one thing you might consider is connecting all of the
'tv_grab_na_dd' and 'mythfilldatabase' statements together with '&&'.
That way, if the first command fails, the remaining statements won't
execute with possibly bad input data, potentially corrupting your database.

Good luck!

Bill
RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
I can confirm that this works.. Good job guys!

If 0.15 isn't coming soon, could this make it into the docs?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/67813?search_string=tv_gr
ab_na_dd;#67813

(for the -dev list)

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
Can anyone explain how to do the last step..

I have no clue as to how to do a script much less what file do I need to
replace?

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14system? [ In reply to ]
All of us, including you I'm guessing, have a script file in /etc/cron.daily
that fetches listings each night. For me, the name of the file is
/etc/cron.daily/mythfilldatabase.cron, but it doesn't matter what the name
is. Just find your particular file and edit it (using nano or vim or
whatever you wish).

Basically, up until now you probably only had one real command in the file,
and that is "mythfilldatabase". That command used to call tv_grab_na
automatically and pull in the listings. However now we're going to call
tv_grab_na_dd ourselves and give that file specifically to mythfilldatabase
(with a couple of other otptions). That should take are of it.

1) Replace the contents of your file with the listing.

2) Set the value of the sourceid to the number you discovered in step 8.
Very important.

3) Take care around the line continuation characters. Spaces after the "\"
screw things up. If it would be easier for you, simply take those three
lines and make that one big line.

4) Run it. you should be good to go.

-Shane

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
I'm having problems with the new version of xmltv. I've installed the
new version, but it still looks like it's the old version.

* media-tv/xmltv
Latest version available: 0.5.23
Latest version installed: 0.5.33
Size of downloaded files: 397 kB

bash-2.05b$ tv_grab_na_dd --version
XMLTV module version 0.5.23
This is tv_grab_na_dd.IN version 1.10, 2004/05/08 09:15:26

After emerging the package, and running into this problem, I manually
downloaded it from sourceforge and that didn't change the problem. Has
anyone else had this problem? If not, can someone upload a good
tarball? Thanks.

Here's the error I get now.

bash-2.05b$ tv_grab_na_dd --configure
*ERROR* XMLTV.PM 0.5.32 required
bash-2.05b$

eric

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
You may have two different versions of xmltv installed in different
places. Try 'locate xmltv' and see if that's the case. How (by what
method) did you originally install xmltv?

Bill

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
I thought that to, but no. I unmerged the package, tried to run
tv_grab_na_dd, but it then didn't exist.
Thanks though.

eric

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to .14 system? [ In reply to ]
I figured it out. There was a file
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/XMLTV.pm that I assume is an old
version. I moved the file away and reemerged xmltv. Now I have the new
version of the file in a different location.

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 72106 May 22 11:04
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2/XMLTV.pm

Working fine now. Thanks.

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to.14system? [ In reply to ]
This works fine..

I edit the cron job by doing a:

$ crontab -e

then I remove the old commands and put the new script in place..

but when I got to save it it comes back with the follow error.

"tmp/crontab.3397":17L bad day-of-month
errors in crontab file, can't install.
Do you want to retry the same edit?

So for some reason it doesn't like my cron job.

btw I looked in the cron.daily directory and found no mythfilldatabase.cron
file.

should I just create one in vi and paste this script there instead?

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to.14system? [ In reply to ]
I forgot to add I set my box off based off the fedora myth how to..

That site says to do this to setup automatic updates:

$ crontab -e

### Run mythfilldatabase every night at some random time after 2:30am
30 2 * * * sleep $(expr $RANDOM \% 7200) && mythfilldatabase >
/var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log 2>&1

So do I need to do that still?

I think I'm getting confused because what your saying below and what I did
above (old method) are similar yet different.

Anyhow I still have this cron job setup but I also created a
mythfilldatabase.cron file in that /etc/cron.daily directory and pasted the
following there:

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd

# temporary filename
dirname='/tmp'
filename="tv-${RANDOM}${RANDOM}"
xml_file=${dirname}/${filename}.xml

# From step 8
sourceid=1

# replace all data
offset=-1

# How many days worth of guide data to download
numdays=10

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --output ${xml_file} --days ${numdays}
\--old-chan-id && \
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${sourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file}

# Remove the temporary file
rm ${xml_file}

My source ID was 1.

I checked to make sure there was no spaces at the end of any lines. I also
moved the --old-chan-id & & \ up to the first \ to get rid of that spaces..

So now how to do fire this guy off and test it?

Thanks for you help guys!

Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport data to.14system? [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 22 May 2004 18:30, Matthew Mead wrote:
> This works fine..
>
> I edit the cron job by doing a:
>
> $ crontab -e
>
> then I remove the old commands and put the new script in place..
>
> but when I got to save it it comes back with the follow error.
>
> "tmp/crontab.3397":17L bad day-of-month
> errors in crontab file, can't install.
> Do you want to retry the same edit?

Did you put script in the crontab file or an entry to run the script? It
should be the latter.

> So for some reason it doesn't like my cron job.
>
> btw I looked in the cron.daily directory and found no mythfilldatabase.cron
> file.

It might be named something else. Look for any file in that directory that
runs mythfilldatabase. That is the one you want to change/replace

> should I just create one in vi and paste this script there instead?

Since the files in cron.daily are run as root and you probably need to run the
commands as mythtv (or whatever). You should probably just have a script
in cron.daily like

#!/bin/sh
##su mythtv -c "mythfilldatabase --quiet"
su mythtv -c "/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd"

Then put that script previously posted in
/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd. Make sure both are executable.
Re: [mythtv] RE: tv_grab_na_dd backport datato.14system? [ In reply to ]
Ok that clears some stuff up..

let me bounce this back (read below)

> On Saturday 22 May 2004 18:30, Matthew Mead wrote:
> > This works fine..
> >
> > I edit the cron job by doing a:
> >
> > $ crontab -e
> >
> > then I remove the old commands and put the new script in place..
> >
> > but when I got to save it it comes back with the follow error.
> >
> > "tmp/crontab.3397":17L bad day-of-month
> > errors in crontab file, can't install.
> > Do you want to retry the same edit?
>
> Did you put script in the crontab file or an entry to run the script? It
> should be the latter.

OK, this makes sense. The Problem is what should the script entry be?
because the one I thought I was supposed to use doesn't work (see error
message above). This was what I had entered into my crontab -e

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd

# temporary filename
dirname='/tmp'
filename="tv-${RANDOM}${RANDOM}"
xml_file=${dirname}/${filename}.xml

# From step 8
sourceid=1

# replace all data
offset=-1

# How many days worth of guide data to download
numdays=10

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --output ${xml_file} --days ${numdays} \
--old-chan-id && \
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${sourceid} ${offset} ${xml_file}

# Remove the temporary file
rm ${xml_file}

Is that the wrong script? Whats the right one I should be using?

> > So for some reason it doesn't like my cron job.
> >
> > btw I looked in the cron.daily directory and found no
mythfilldatabase.cron
> > file.
>
> It might be named something else. Look for any file in that directory
that
> runs mythfilldatabase. That is the one you want to change/replace

OK, I looked around through the directory at all the files.. but none had a
script in it like the one below:

> > should I just create one in vi and paste this script there instead?
>
> Since the files in cron.daily are run as root and you probably need to run
the
> commands as mythtv (or whatever). You should probably just have a script
> in cron.daily like
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ##su mythtv -c "mythfilldatabase --quiet"
> su mythtv -c "/usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd"
>
> Then put that script previously posted in
> /usr/local/bin/mythfilldatabasecron_dd. Make sure both are executable.

Whats the command to make them executable? I'm sort of new with linux but I
think I remember its chmod with some sort of flag.

Is that correct?