If I use 30 an osx frontend does work everywhere

Thanks
James
Re: 30 vs 31 [ In reply to ]
On 23/05/2020 03:52, Blue wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I’m asking for advocasy. Why should I use 31 and not 30
>
> I find 31 slow to start, 30 odd secs for 31 vs 1 sec for 30
> On my high sierra mac, thanks to John’s hard work, a frontend does run, but the audio and video drift to be many seconds apart.
> A virtualBox VM running ubuntu (downloaded packages) and opensuse Tumbleweed (built from src) has the same audio drift
> A parallels VN tunning either of the above distros frontend does *not* show the drift.

Things may be different on Macs, but I believe that a/v sync drift in
recent frontends is usually caused by frame dropping when the selected
deinterlacer is working too hard. Try one that isn't quite so demanding.

Setup > Video > Playback > Current Video Playback Profile > ....

Re: 30 vs 31 [ In reply to ]
> On 23 May 2020, at 5:38 pm, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>> I’m asking for advocasy. Why should I use 31 and not 30
>> I find 31 slow to start, 30 odd secs for 31 vs 1 sec for 30
>> On my high sierra mac, thanks to John’s hard work, a frontend does run, but the audio and video drift to be many seconds apart.
>> A virtualBox VM running ubuntu (downloaded packages) and opensuse Tumbleweed (built from src) has the same audio drift
>> A parallels VN tunning either of the above distros frontend does *not* show the drift.
>
> Things may be different on Macs, but I believe that a/v sync drift in recent frontends is usually caused by frame dropping when the selected deinterlacer is working too hard. Try one that isn't quite so demanding.
>
> Setup > Video > Playback > Current Video Playback Profile > ....
John thanks
I was decieved by cpu load but changing the deinterlacer fixed the problem
James

Re: 30 vs 31 [ In reply to ]
On 24/05/2020 00:16, jam@tigger.ws wrote:
>> On 23 May 2020, at 5:38 pm, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>> I’m asking for advocasy. Why should I use 31 and not 30
>>> I find 31 slow to start, 30 odd secs for 31 vs 1 sec for 30
>>> On my high sierra mac, thanks to John’s hard work, a frontend does run, but the audio and video drift to be many seconds apart.
>>> A virtualBox VM running ubuntu (downloaded packages) and opensuse Tumbleweed (built from src) has the same audio drift
>>> A parallels VN tunning either of the above distros frontend does *not* show the drift.
>>
>> Things may be different on Macs, but I believe that a/v sync drift in recent frontends is usually caused by frame dropping when the selected deinterlacer is working too hard. Try one that isn't quite so demanding.
>>
>> Setup > Video > Playback > Current Video Playback Profile > ....
> John thanks
> I was decieved by cpu load but changing the deinterlacer fixed the problem

Isn't that still a bad sign for the new synchronisation mechanism,
though? = that it should drift so far when the video is struggling.

Paul.
Re: 30 vs 31 [ In reply to ]

>>> Things may be different on Macs, but I believe that a/v sync drift in recent frontends is usually caused by frame dropping when the selected deinterlacer is working too hard. Try one that isn't quite so demanding.
>>>
>>> Setup > Video > Playback > Current Video Playback Profile > ....
>> John thanks
>> I was decieved by cpu load but changing the deinterlacer fixed the problem
>
> Isn't that still a bad sign for the new synchronisation mechanism, though? = that it should drift so far when the video is struggling.

And we are not talking mS but 10s S or minutes
James