Mailing List Archive

lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04
Hello,

After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.

Lircd, my remote, and my IR receiver worked beautifully before the
upgrade, and was buttery smooth for years. Now, it does work, but
seems to miss a lot of commands. It will respond smoothly to, say, 8
or 10 commands, and then miss the next 10 or 15 commands. I don't see
any correlation between specific remote commands and responsiveness.
I'm using the exact same remote config as before. I've also tested
running lircd manually with debug/trace output. I don't see anything
in the output other than confirmation of lircd failing to decode
commands as I press buttons.

Any suggestions, or things to try?

Thanks,
Zach
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
>
> Lircd, my remote, and my IR receiver worked beautifully before the
> upgrade, and was buttery smooth for years. Now, it does work, but
> seems to miss a lot of commands. It will respond smoothly to, say, 8
> or 10 commands, and then miss the next 10 or 15 commands. I don't see
> any correlation between specific remote commands and responsiveness.
> I'm using the exact same remote config as before. I've also tested
> running lircd manually with debug/trace output. I don't see anything
> in the output other than confirmation of lircd failing to decode
> commands as I press buttons.
>
> Any suggestions, or things to try?
>
> Thanks,
> Zach
> _______________________________________________
>
> I got the reply below to one of my questions about lircd. I do not know if
this is still valid and it sounds worse than what you are seeing. I am
using 16.04 so it is not an issue I have dealt with. I had other issues
which required me to kill lircd and then restart because of the HDHR I was
using.
*killall lircd*
*lircd -H udp -d 5000*

Anyway, here is the replay that was part of troubleshooting my problem

Allen
***********************************************************************************









*lirc in 16.04 is a quite old version (0.9.0). The version in 18.04
is0.10.0, and its Python configuration tools are badly broken - clearlyno
one ever tested them. They can not find their libraries and crashwhen
run. I believe lircd itself is fine, and if the config files canbe
manually created it will work. And it is rather more capable than0.9.0.
But I have not actually verified that as I have not upgradedany of my
running systems to 18.04.1 yet.So your choice of 16.04 is fortuitous - you
need a working lirc, and*
*18.04 does not have one yet. *
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
>
> Any suggestions, or things to try?


Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
intervention [1]

Cheers!
--alec


[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:24:18 +0100, you wrote:

>On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
>> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
>> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
>> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
>>
>> Any suggestions, or things to try?
>
>
>Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
>intervention [1]
>
>Cheers!
>--alec
>
>
>[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409

The lirc package as installed by 18.04 is broken. There are a number
of problems with it, but the one that is most obvious is that
lirc-setup does not work at all (it can not find required library .so
files). Your problem sounds like one of the other problems, which is
that it sets up systemd to run lircmd, lirc-uinput and irexec as
daemons, but does not set up valid configuration for those daemons. So
they run in the background and one (I think it is lircd-uinput) steals
keystrokes from the main lirc daemon. So try running these commands
and see if it fixes your problem:

sudo systemctl stop lircmd
sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
sudo systemctl stop irexec
sudo systemctl disable lircmd
sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
sudo systemctl disable irexec

Alternatively, if you want to fix all the problems I found in 18.04's
lirc package, you can download and run the script I wrote:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

It fixes lirc-setup, the above problems and probably a few more I have
forgotten about. It needs to be run with sudo or as root. I am a bit
surprised that your lirc is working at all - the 16.04 to 18.04
upgrade does not normally produce a working lirc setup, so you must
have done a lot of manual configuration.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:24:18 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
> >> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
> >> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
> >> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions, or things to try?
> >
> >
> >Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
> >intervention [1]
> >
> >Cheers!
> >--alec
> >
> >
> >[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409
>
> The lirc package as installed by 18.04 is broken. There are a number
> of problems with it, but the one that is most obvious is that
> lirc-setup does not work at all (it can not find required library .so
> files). Your problem sounds like one of the other problems, which is
> that it sets up systemd to run lircmd, lirc-uinput and irexec as
> daemons, but does not set up valid configuration for those daemons. So
> they run in the background and one (I think it is lircd-uinput) steals
> keystrokes from the main lirc daemon. So try running these commands
> and see if it fixes your problem:
>
> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>
> Alternatively, if you want to fix all the problems I found in 18.04's
> lirc package, you can download and run the script I wrote:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
>
> It fixes lirc-setup, the above problems and probably a few more I have
> forgotten about. It needs to be run with sudo or as root. I am a bit
> surprised that your lirc is working at all - the 16.04 to 18.04
> upgrade does not normally produce a working lirc setup, so you must
> have done a lot of manual configuration.

Hi Stephen,

You are right; I didn't have a working lirc setup at all after
upgrade. I had to troubleshoot quite a bit to get it working again
even to the degree that it is.

I don't think any of these are running:

$ ps -ef | grep -E 'lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec'
knath 12295 11492 0 14:24 pts/1 00:00:00 grep -E
lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec
$ ps -ef | grep lirc
root 12435 1 0 14:29 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --nodaemon

I stopped & disabled the services just in case though.

Is there anything else I can check, or diagnosis I can do?

Here's my lirc_options.conf if it helps:

[lircd]
nodaemon = False
# driver = devinput
driver = default
# device = auto
device = /dev/lirc0
output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
plugindir = /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
permission = 666
allow-simulate = No
repeat-max = 600
#effective-user =
#listen = [address:]port
#connect = host[:port]
#loglevel = 6
#release = true
#release_suffix = _EVUP
#logfile = ...
#driver-options = ...

[lircmd]
uinput = False
nodaemon = False

# [modinit]
# code = /usr/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
# code1 = /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:lirc:rw /dev/uinput
# code2 = ...


# [lircd-uinput]
# add-release-events = False
# release-timeout = 200
# release-suffix = _EVUP

And here's the start to my lircd remote definition, which has always
worked perfectly until now:

begin remote

name Tivo_S2
bits 32
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 20
aeps 200

header 9000 4500
one 562 1687
zero 562 562
ptrail 562
repeat 9000 2250
gap 108000
min_repeat 1
toggle_bit 0

frequency 38000

begin codes
TIVO 0x00000000A10CE00F
TV_POWER 0x00000000A10C0807
TV_INPUT 0x00000000A10C2C03
WINDOW 0x00000000A10C220D
LIVE_TV 0x00000000A10C8807
INFO 0x00000000A10CC807
GUIDE 0x00000000A10C6C03
UP 0x00000000A10C2807
LEFT 0x00000000A10CE807
RIGHT 0x00000000A10CA807
DOWN 0x00000000A10C6807






--
:wq!
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:38:00 -0700, you wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:24:18 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>> >On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
>> >> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >>
>> >> Hello,
>> >>
>> >> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
>> >> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
>> >> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
>> >>
>> >> Any suggestions, or things to try?
>> >
>> >
>> >Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
>> >intervention [1]
>> >
>> >Cheers!
>> >--alec
>> >
>> >
>> >[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409
>>
>> The lirc package as installed by 18.04 is broken. There are a number
>> of problems with it, but the one that is most obvious is that
>> lirc-setup does not work at all (it can not find required library .so
>> files). Your problem sounds like one of the other problems, which is
>> that it sets up systemd to run lircmd, lirc-uinput and irexec as
>> daemons, but does not set up valid configuration for those daemons. So
>> they run in the background and one (I think it is lircd-uinput) steals
>> keystrokes from the main lirc daemon. So try running these commands
>> and see if it fixes your problem:
>>
>> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
>> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
>> sudo systemctl stop irexec
>> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
>> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
>> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>>
>> Alternatively, if you want to fix all the problems I found in 18.04's
>> lirc package, you can download and run the script I wrote:
>>
>> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
>>
>> It fixes lirc-setup, the above problems and probably a few more I have
>> forgotten about. It needs to be run with sudo or as root. I am a bit
>> surprised that your lirc is working at all - the 16.04 to 18.04
>> upgrade does not normally produce a working lirc setup, so you must
>> have done a lot of manual configuration.
>
>Hi Stephen,
>
>You are right; I didn't have a working lirc setup at all after
>upgrade. I had to troubleshoot quite a bit to get it working again
>even to the degree that it is.
>
>I don't think any of these are running:
>
> $ ps -ef | grep -E 'lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec'
>knath 12295 11492 0 14:24 pts/1 00:00:00 grep -E
>lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec
>$ ps -ef | grep lirc
>root 12435 1 0 14:29 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --nodaemon
>
>I stopped & disabled the services just in case though.
>
>Is there anything else I can check, or diagnosis I can do?
>
>Here's my lirc_options.conf if it helps:
>
>[lircd]
>nodaemon = False
># driver = devinput
>driver = default
># device = auto
>device = /dev/lirc0
>output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
>pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
>plugindir = /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
>permission = 666
>allow-simulate = No
>repeat-max = 600
>#effective-user =
>#listen = [address:]port
>#connect = host[:port]
>#loglevel = 6
>#release = true
>#release_suffix = _EVUP
>#logfile = ...
>#driver-options = ...
>
>[lircmd]
>uinput = False
>nodaemon = False
>
># [modinit]
># code = /usr/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
># code1 = /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:lirc:rw /dev/uinput
># code2 = ...
>
>
># [lircd-uinput]
># add-release-events = False
># release-timeout = 200
># release-suffix = _EVUP
>
>And here's the start to my lircd remote definition, which has always
>worked perfectly until now:
>
>begin remote
>
> name Tivo_S2
> bits 32
> flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
> eps 20
> aeps 200
>
> header 9000 4500
> one 562 1687
> zero 562 562
> ptrail 562
> repeat 9000 2250
> gap 108000
> min_repeat 1
> toggle_bit 0
>
> frequency 38000
>
> begin codes
> TIVO 0x00000000A10CE00F
> TV_POWER 0x00000000A10C0807
> TV_INPUT 0x00000000A10C2C03
> WINDOW 0x00000000A10C220D
> LIVE_TV 0x00000000A10C8807
> INFO 0x00000000A10CC807
> GUIDE 0x00000000A10C6C03
> UP 0x00000000A10C2807
> LEFT 0x00000000A10CE807
> RIGHT 0x00000000A10CA807
> DOWN 0x00000000A10C6807

That looks OK, but check that your lirc hardware is actually appearing
as the /dev/lirc0 device.

However, MythTV looks for a /dev/lircd device for the keystroke
outputs from the lirc daemon. Do you have that? I had to link the
default lirc output device (/var/run/lirc/lircd) to /dev/lircd to make
it work, as I could not find any way to configure MythTV to use the
new location for the lirc output device, and changing the setting in
lirc_options.conf made other programs unable to work with lirc. If
you look at my script, you will find that it creates a
lircd-dev.service file in /etc/systemd/system to do this automatically
when the lirc daemon is started:

root@mypvr:/etc/systemd/system# cat lircd-dev.service
[Unit]
Description=Create the /dev/lircd device (linked to /run/lirc/lircd)
as required by MythTV.
After=lircd.service

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "ln -s /run/lirc/lircd /dev/lircd"

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Note that /var/run/ is a link to /run, so /run/lirc/lircd is the same
as /var/run/lirc/lircd in the lirc_options.conf file.

Also, check your MythTV .lircrc files:

root@mypvr:/home/stephen# cat .lircrc
#Custom lircrc generated via mythbuntu-lirc-generator
#All application specific lircrc files are within ~/.lirc
include ~/.lirc/mythtv
include ~/.lirc/mplayer
include ~/.lirc/xine
include ~/.lirc/vlc
include ~/.lirc/xmame
include ~/.lirc/xmess
include ~/.lirc/totem
include ~/.lirc/elisa
include ~/.lirc/irexec

root@mypvr:/home/stephen# head -n 24 .lirc/mythtv
# lircrc for devinput with Hauppauge Nova TD-500 and Hauppauge
HVR-900R2 remotes (with lirc 0.9.0),
# and MCE remotes.

# Save it in ~/.lircrc

begin
remote = devinput
prog = mythtv
# Guide key
button = KEY_EPG
# config = S
config = Ctrl+Alt+G
repeat = 0
delay = 0
end

begin
remote = devinput
prog = mythtv
button = KEY_EXIT
config = Escape
repeat = 0
delay = 0
end

To work in your setup, all the entries for MythTV (with prog=mythtv
lines) will have to have the remote= lines set to match the driver=
setting in your lirc_options.conf file. So they should have "remote =
default", where mine have "remote = devinput".
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the additional advice.

I checked the things you suggested.

- My mythfrontend was configured to look for its lircd socket in
/var/run/lirc/lircd, so it was finding that with no problem. I added
your systemd service descriptor though, just in case.
- My lircrc for myth maps the buttons to the remote name as defined in
lircd.conf.d. In my case, I have:

begin remote
name Tivo_S2

So my lircrc buttons all are for "remote = Tivo_S2".

I tried changing a few of those to "default" to correlate to
lirc_options.conf as you suggested. Those buttons stopped working
altogether until I changed them back.

Here's a thing I did notice however: If I run irw while interacting
with MythTV, I see that irw sees about 90% of the button presses (not
perfect, but much better), even while mythrontend is only responding
to about 60%. In fact there are many times when myth doesn't respond
at all, but irw clearly saw the button presses. I feel like there's
some issue with mythfrontend. I checked settings in the frontend
configuration and didn't see anything significant.

Does this give any ideas?

Thanks,
Zach

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:20 PM Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 14:38:00 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:29 PM Stephen Worthington
> ><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:24:18 +0100, you wrote:
> >>
> >> >On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
> >> >> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> Hello,
> >> >>
> >> >> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
> >> >> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
> >> >> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
> >> >>
> >> >> Any suggestions, or things to try?
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
> >> >intervention [1]
> >> >
> >> >Cheers!
> >> >--alec
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409
> >>
> >> The lirc package as installed by 18.04 is broken. There are a number
> >> of problems with it, but the one that is most obvious is that
> >> lirc-setup does not work at all (it can not find required library .so
> >> files). Your problem sounds like one of the other problems, which is
> >> that it sets up systemd to run lircmd, lirc-uinput and irexec as
> >> daemons, but does not set up valid configuration for those daemons. So
> >> they run in the background and one (I think it is lircd-uinput) steals
> >> keystrokes from the main lirc daemon. So try running these commands
> >> and see if it fixes your problem:
> >>
> >> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> >> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> >> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> >> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> >> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> >> sudo systemctl disable irexec
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if you want to fix all the problems I found in 18.04's
> >> lirc package, you can download and run the script I wrote:
> >>
> >> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
> >>
> >> It fixes lirc-setup, the above problems and probably a few more I have
> >> forgotten about. It needs to be run with sudo or as root. I am a bit
> >> surprised that your lirc is working at all - the 16.04 to 18.04
> >> upgrade does not normally produce a working lirc setup, so you must
> >> have done a lot of manual configuration.
> >
> >Hi Stephen,
> >
> >You are right; I didn't have a working lirc setup at all after
> >upgrade. I had to troubleshoot quite a bit to get it working again
> >even to the degree that it is.
> >
> >I don't think any of these are running:
> >
> > $ ps -ef | grep -E 'lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec'
> >knath 12295 11492 0 14:24 pts/1 00:00:00 grep -E
> >lircmd|lircd-uinput|irexec
> >$ ps -ef | grep lirc
> >root 12435 1 0 14:29 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --nodaemon
> >
> >I stopped & disabled the services just in case though.
> >
> >Is there anything else I can check, or diagnosis I can do?
> >
> >Here's my lirc_options.conf if it helps:
> >
> >[lircd]
> >nodaemon = False
> ># driver = devinput
> >driver = default
> ># device = auto
> >device = /dev/lirc0
> >output = /var/run/lirc/lircd
> >pidfile = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
> >plugindir = /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
> >permission = 666
> >allow-simulate = No
> >repeat-max = 600
> >#effective-user =
> >#listen = [address:]port
> >#connect = host[:port]
> >#loglevel = 6
> >#release = true
> >#release_suffix = _EVUP
> >#logfile = ...
> >#driver-options = ...
> >
> >[lircmd]
> >uinput = False
> >nodaemon = False
> >
> ># [modinit]
> ># code = /usr/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial
> ># code1 = /usr/bin/setfacl -m g:lirc:rw /dev/uinput
> ># code2 = ...
> >
> >
> ># [lircd-uinput]
> ># add-release-events = False
> ># release-timeout = 200
> ># release-suffix = _EVUP
> >
> >And here's the start to my lircd remote definition, which has always
> >worked perfectly until now:
> >
> >begin remote
> >
> > name Tivo_S2
> > bits 32
> > flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
> > eps 20
> > aeps 200
> >
> > header 9000 4500
> > one 562 1687
> > zero 562 562
> > ptrail 562
> > repeat 9000 2250
> > gap 108000
> > min_repeat 1
> > toggle_bit 0
> >
> > frequency 38000
> >
> > begin codes
> > TIVO 0x00000000A10CE00F
> > TV_POWER 0x00000000A10C0807
> > TV_INPUT 0x00000000A10C2C03
> > WINDOW 0x00000000A10C220D
> > LIVE_TV 0x00000000A10C8807
> > INFO 0x00000000A10CC807
> > GUIDE 0x00000000A10C6C03
> > UP 0x00000000A10C2807
> > LEFT 0x00000000A10CE807
> > RIGHT 0x00000000A10CA807
> > DOWN 0x00000000A10C6807
>
> That looks OK, but check that your lirc hardware is actually appearing
> as the /dev/lirc0 device.
>
> However, MythTV looks for a /dev/lircd device for the keystroke
> outputs from the lirc daemon. Do you have that? I had to link the
> default lirc output device (/var/run/lirc/lircd) to /dev/lircd to make
> it work, as I could not find any way to configure MythTV to use the
> new location for the lirc output device, and changing the setting in
> lirc_options.conf made other programs unable to work with lirc. If
> you look at my script, you will find that it creates a
> lircd-dev.service file in /etc/systemd/system to do this automatically
> when the lirc daemon is started:
>
> root@mypvr:/etc/systemd/system# cat lircd-dev.service
> [Unit]
> Description=Create the /dev/lircd device (linked to /run/lirc/lircd)
> as required by MythTV.
> After=lircd.service
>
> [Service]
> Type=simple
> ExecStart=/bin/bash -c "ln -s /run/lirc/lircd /dev/lircd"
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> Note that /var/run/ is a link to /run, so /run/lirc/lircd is the same
> as /var/run/lirc/lircd in the lirc_options.conf file.
>
> Also, check your MythTV .lircrc files:
>
> root@mypvr:/home/stephen# cat .lircrc
> #Custom lircrc generated via mythbuntu-lirc-generator
> #All application specific lircrc files are within ~/.lirc
> include ~/.lirc/mythtv
> include ~/.lirc/mplayer
> include ~/.lirc/xine
> include ~/.lirc/vlc
> include ~/.lirc/xmame
> include ~/.lirc/xmess
> include ~/.lirc/totem
> include ~/.lirc/elisa
> include ~/.lirc/irexec
>
> root@mypvr:/home/stephen# head -n 24 .lirc/mythtv
> # lircrc for devinput with Hauppauge Nova TD-500 and Hauppauge
> HVR-900R2 remotes (with lirc 0.9.0),
> # and MCE remotes.
>
> # Save it in ~/.lircrc
>
> begin
> remote = devinput
> prog = mythtv
> # Guide key
> button = KEY_EPG
> # config = S
> config = Ctrl+Alt+G
> repeat = 0
> delay = 0
> end
>
> begin
> remote = devinput
> prog = mythtv
> button = KEY_EXIT
> config = Escape
> repeat = 0
> delay = 0
> end
>
> To work in your setup, all the entries for MythTV (with prog=mythtv
> lines) will have to have the remote= lines set to match the driver=
> setting in your lirc_options.conf file. So they should have "remote =
> default", where mine have "remote = devinput".
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org



--
:wq!
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:15:04 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen
>
>Thanks for the additional advice.
>
>I checked the things you suggested.
>
>- My mythfrontend was configured to look for its lircd socket in
>/var/run/lirc/lircd, so it was finding that with no problem. I added
>your systemd service descriptor though, just in case.
>- My lircrc for myth maps the buttons to the remote name as defined in
>lircd.conf.d. In my case, I have:
>
>begin remote
> name Tivo_S2
>
>So my lircrc buttons all are for "remote = Tivo_S2".
>
>I tried changing a few of those to "default" to correlate to
>lirc_options.conf as you suggested. Those buttons stopped working
>altogether until I changed them back.
>
>Here's a thing I did notice however: If I run irw while interacting
>with MythTV, I see that irw sees about 90% of the button presses (not
>perfect, but much better), even while mythrontend is only responding
>to about 60%. In fact there are many times when myth doesn't respond
>at all, but irw clearly saw the button presses. I feel like there's
>some issue with mythfrontend. I checked settings in the frontend
>configuration and didn't see anything significant.
>
>Does this give any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Zach

I think we need to trace things through right from the beginning - the
hardware. You are using an old Tivo remote, but you have not said
what infrared receiver hardware you are using. Is it a USB or PCI
device? Mine is a USB device:

root@mypvr:~# lsusb | grep -i infr
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0609:031d SMK Manufacturing, Inc. eHome
Infrared Receiver

root@mypvr:~# ll /dev/input/by-id/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 120 Mar 14 01:37 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 480 Mar 14 01:37 ../
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-event-kbd -> ../event2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-if01-event-mouse -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-if01-mouse -> ../mouse0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 14 01:37
usb-SMK_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver_SM005h4M-event-if00 -> ../event12

root@mypvr:~# ll /dev/input/by-path/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 Mar 14 01:37 ./
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 480 Mar 14 01:37 ../
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
pci-0000:00:12.0-usb-0:2:1.0-event-kbd -> ../event2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
pci-0000:00:12.0-usb-0:2:1.1-event-mouse -> ../event3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 14 01:37
pci-0000:00:12.0-usb-0:2:1.1-mouse -> ../mouse0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 14 01:37
pci-0000:00:13.0-usb-0:5:1.0-event -> ../event12
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 14 01:37 platform-eeepc-wmi-event ->
../event13

root@mypvr:~# ll /dev/lirc*
crw-rw---- 1 root video 241, 0 Mar 14 01:37 /dev/lirc0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 14 01:38 /dev/lircd ->
/run/lirc/lircd=
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 14 01:37 /dev/lirc-mce ->
input/event12

I have a udev rule that creates the /dev/lirc-mce device, but I am not
using that device in my lirc_options.conf at the moment as there is
now only one IR remote receiver and it also shows up as /dev/lirc0.
Which I think happens because of the kernel, and the device is made
available to the "video" group in this rule:

root@mypvr:/lib/udev# grep -ir lirc *
rules.d/80-debian-compat.rules:KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", GROUP="video"

Now my IR receiver is handled by the kernel IR code, so if I stop
mythfrontend (and any other programs that use lirc, such as irexec),
and then stop lircd:

sudo stop lircd

Then ir-keytable shows it as an IR receiver device, using the kernel
mceusb device and using rc6 encoding:

root@mypvr:~# ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver
(0609:031d)
Driver: mceusb, table: rc-rc6-mce
lirc device: /dev/lirc0
Supported protocols: other lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec
sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
Enabled protocols: lirc rc-6
bus: 3, vendor/product: 0609:031d, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

And I can press every key on my remote and get a scancode displayed by
ir-keytable -t:

root@mypvr:~# ir-keytable -t
Testing events. Please, press CTRL-C to abort.
331876.252285: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0401
331876.252306: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0401
331876.252306: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_1(0x0002)
331876.252306: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
1331876.359268: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0401
331876.359294: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0401
331876.359294: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331876.488021: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_1(0x0002)
331876.488021: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331876.969385: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0402 toggle=1
331876.969408: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0402
331876.969408: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_2(0x0003)
331876.969408: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
2331877.076235: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0402 toggle=1
331877.076246: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0402
331877.076246: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331877.208024: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_2(0x0003)
331877.208024: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331877.760309: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0403
331877.760332: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0403
331877.760332: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_3(0x0004)
331877.760332: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
3331877.866216: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0403
331877.866236: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0403
331877.866236: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331877.996022: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_3(0x0004)
331877.996022: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331882.641123: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f040f toggle=1
331882.641162: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f040f
331882.641162: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_MENU(0x008b)
331882.641162: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331882.747042: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f040f toggle=1
331882.747060: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f040f
331882.747060: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331882.876049: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_MENU(0x008b)
331882.876049: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331883.807005: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0424
331883.807030: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0424
331883.807030: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_DVD(0x0185)
331883.807030: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331883.914077: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0424
331883.914102: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0424
331883.914102: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331884.044099: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_DVD(0x0185)
331884.044099: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331887.589880: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0426 toggle=1
331887.589900: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0426
331887.589900: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_EPG(0x016d)
331887.589900: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331887.695853: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0426 toggle=1
331887.695870: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0426
331887.695870: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331887.824018: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_EPG(0x016d)
331887.824018: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331888.407841: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0425
331888.407865: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0425
331888.407865: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_down: KEY_TUNER(0x0182)
331888.407865: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331888.514829: lirc protocol(rc6_mce): scancode = 0x800f0425
331888.514843: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x800f0425
331888.514843: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
331888.644024: event type EV_KEY(0x01) key_up: KEY_TUNER(0x0182)
331888.644024: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
^C

So, does that happen with your remote? If your remote is actually
using the "default" driver, as specified in your lirc_options, then I
believe that it should not be showing up in ir-keytable. If it is
showing up in ir-keytable, then it is likely you should be using the
devinput driver.

Also, you posted your remote definition file:

begin remote

name Tivo_S2
bits 32
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 20
aeps 200

header 9000 4500
one 562 1687
zero 562 562
ptrail 562
repeat 9000 2250
gap 108000
min_repeat 1
toggle_bit 0

frequency 38000

begin codes
TIVO 0x00000000A10CE00F
TV_POWER 0x00000000A10C0807
TV_INPUT 0x00000000A10C2C03
WINDOW 0x00000000A10C220D
LIVE_TV 0x00000000A10C8807
INFO 0x00000000A10CC807
GUIDE 0x00000000A10C6C03
UP 0x00000000A10C2807
LEFT 0x00000000A10CE807
RIGHT 0x00000000A10CA807
DOWN 0x00000000A10C6807

But what file name is that in, and where is it referenced in the IR
setup files? The driver line in your lirc_options.conf file says
"driver = default", which should mean that there is a
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d/default.lircd.conf file, in the same way I have
a devinput.lircd.conf file:

root@mypvr:/etc/lirc/lircd.conf.d# ll
total 48
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Oct 6 03:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 6 05:46 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35015 Oct 6 05:26 devinput.lircd.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 615 Aug 13 2017 README.conf.d

and that should be where your Tivo_S2 definition is.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
If I may hijack this thread, I'm in the same/similar situation: just
upgraded 16.04->18.04 and no LIRC. I tried running your script but I get
this error:
bash: ./lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such
file or directory

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm not that knowledgeable about
scripting.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 7:28 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:24:18 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >On 13/03/19 19:05, Allen Edwards wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:48 AM Zach Cutlip <uid000@gmail.com
> >> <mailto:uid000@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> After upgrading my MythTV setup from Ubuntu 16.04 (lirc 0.9.0) to
> >> Ubuntu 18.04 (lirc 0.10.0), and jumping through various hoops to get
> >> lircd working again, I'm finding it to be very unreliable.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions, or things to try?
> >
> >
> >Most likely an upgrade problem. The upgrade to 0.9.0 requires manual
> >intervention [1]
> >
> >Cheers!
> >--alec
> >
> >
> >[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lirc/+bug/1791409
>
> The lirc package as installed by 18.04 is broken. There are a number
> of problems with it, but the one that is most obvious is that
> lirc-setup does not work at all (it can not find required library .so
> files). Your problem sounds like one of the other problems, which is
> that it sets up systemd to run lircmd, lirc-uinput and irexec as
> daemons, but does not set up valid configuration for those daemons. So
> they run in the background and one (I think it is lircd-uinput) steals
> keystrokes from the main lirc daemon. So try running these commands
> and see if it fixes your problem:
>
> sudo systemctl stop lircmd
> sudo systemctl stop lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl stop irexec
> sudo systemctl disable lircmd
> sudo systemctl disable lirc-uinput
> sudo systemctl disable irexec
>
> Alternatively, if you want to fix all the problems I found in 18.04's
> lirc package, you can download and run the script I wrote:
>
> http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
>
> It fixes lirc-setup, the above problems and probably a few more I have
> forgotten about. It needs to be run with sudo or as root. I am a bit
> surprised that your lirc is working at all - the 16.04 to 18.04
> upgrade does not normally produce a working lirc setup, so you must
> have done a lot of manual configuration.
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
>
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On 4/5/19 10:20 PM, Fred Hamilton wrote:
> If I may hijack this thread, I'm in the same/similar situation: just
> upgraded 16.04->18.04 and no LIRC.  I tried running your script but I
> get this error:
> bash: ./lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
> <http://lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh>: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No
> such file or directory


This is evidence of the file having been saved on a Windows system. You
can fix it by running:
dos2unix lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh


-WD
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 7:29 PM Will Dormann <wdormann@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is evidence of the file having been saved on a Windows system. You
> can fix it by running:
> dos2unix lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh


Weird - downloaded via Chrome on Ubuntu. But you were right, dos2unix did
the trick.

...and your script worked perfectly! Thank you so much!
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Let me toss an alternate option out there, I replaced my LIRC with a
FLIRC device years ago and haven't looked back:
https://amzn.to/2I1Vf7w

Overall a useful device to have around, I have used them in Nvidia
Shield TVs as well.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:

>If I may hijack this thread, I'm in the same/similar situation: just
>upgraded 16.04->18.04 and no LIRC. I tried running your script but I get
>this error:
>bash: ./lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such
>file or directory
>
>I'm sure it's something simple but I'm not that knowledgeable about
>scripting.

Looks like that was my fault. I must have used my Windows editor to
update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
Unix line endings. I have fixed it now.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On 06/04/2019 05:43, Fred Hamilton wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 7:29 PM Will Dormann <wdormann@gmail.com
> <mailto:wdormann@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> This is evidence of the file having been saved on a Windows system.  You
> can fix it by running:
> dos2unix lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh
> <http://lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh>
>
>
> Weird - downloaded via Chrome on Ubuntu.  But you were right, dos2unix
> did the trick.

For future reference: better to use wget for such downloads.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 8:56 PM john.baab@gmail.com <john.baab@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let me toss an alternate option out there, I replaced my LIRC with a
> FLIRC device years ago and haven't looked back:
> https://amzn.to/2I1Vf7w


Thanks - Ordered and looking forward to not looking back. :-)
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:
>

[...]

>
> Looks like that was my fault. I must have used my Windows editor to
> update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
> Unix line endings. I have fixed it now.

I just updated all machines to Mythtv v31 and a new frontend with 20.04
installed. As far as you know will your script still work as the 18.04
version? Ubuntu is giving a message that the lirc package is not setup
correctly.

Thanks for any input.

John
--
+-------------------------------------------------------
| John W. Burroughs, P. Eng. | keyid: 0x0243F7494B1A1ACD
| FPR: 0C18 84BA 182A 8A31 A062 9F88 BF68 DE42 B1D5 76EC
+-------------------------------------------------------
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:25:21 -0400, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>
>[...]
>
>>
>> Looks like that was my fault. I must have used my Windows editor to
>> update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
>> Unix line endings. I have fixed it now.
>
>I just updated all machines to Mythtv v31 and a new frontend with 20.04
>installed. As far as you know will your script still work as the 18.04
>version? Ubuntu is giving a message that the lirc package is not setup
>correctly.
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>John

My script is 18.04 specific, and I have not tested it on 20.04. I do
not know what, if any, problems lirc in 20.04 has. I did try 20.04 in
VirtualBox when it was released, and found a showstopper bug in lirc,
but it had an easy workaround and I filed a bug report. That bug was
supposed to have been fixed (I got notifications), but I never had the
time to check and see due to real life getting in the way.

I think the chances that all of my script is still needed are small.
The problems with lirc in 18.04 were never with lirc itself - if you
manually configured it properly, it would work. The problems were
with the 18.04 package, which did not install all the needed library
files for the Python configuration tools, and did not install valid
configurations. My impression was that the package install had only
been tested on a machine where the package had been developed, and
hence the problems with the package were masked by the presence of the
source code and the results of compiling that.

So, what is the message that you are now encountering? If it is
something that was also in 18.04, I should be able to point you to the
bits of my script that would, with appropriate changes, fix it.
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Stephen:

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:25:21 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>>
>>> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:
>>>
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>
>>> Looks like that was my fault. I must have used my Windows editor to
>>> update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
>>> Unix line endings. I have fixed it now.
>>
>>I just updated all machines to Mythtv v31 and a new frontend with 20.04
>>installed. As far as you know will your script still work as the 18.04
>>version? Ubuntu is giving a message that the lirc package is not setup
>>correctly.
>>
>>Thanks for any input.
>>
>>John
>
> My script is 18.04 specific, and I have not tested it on 20.04. I do
> not know what, if any, problems lirc in 20.04 has. I did try 20.04 in
> VirtualBox when it was released, and found a showstopper bug in lirc,
> but it had an easy workaround and I filed a bug report. That bug was
> supposed to have been fixed (I got notifications), but I never had the
> time to check and see due to real life getting in the way.
>
> I think the chances that all of my script is still needed are small.
> The problems with lirc in 18.04 were never with lirc itself - if you
> manually configured it properly, it would work. The problems were
> with the 18.04 package, which did not install all the needed library
> files for the Python configuration tools, and did not install valid
> configurations. My impression was that the package install had only
> been tested on a machine where the package had been developed, and
> hence the problems with the package were masked by the presence of the
> source code and the results of compiling that.
>
> So, what is the message that you are now encountering? If it is
> something that was also in 18.04, I should be able to point you to the
> bits of my script that would, with appropriate changes, fix it.

The messages I am getting are as follows when I run your script:

---------------------------------------------------------------
All prerequites are now in place, attempting to install the lirc Python 3 support...
WARNING: Requirement '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz' looks like a filename, but the file does not exist
Processing /usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz
ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz'

Exited - doing final cleanup
-------------------------------------------------------------

When I look in /usr/share/lirc, what I see is "lirc-0.10.1.tar.gz".

I am guessing there is a new version and the name needs only to be
changed, I hope. I did take a look at your script, but I was not 100%
sure where that change needed to be made.

I am hoping this is the only change that is needed.

ubuntu 20.04 wants to install lirc-0.10.1-6.ubuntu1.1

Thanks for your help.

John
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org

--
+-------------------------------------------------------
| John W. Burroughs, P. Eng. | keyid: 0x0243F7494B1A1ACD
| FPR: 0C18 84BA 182A 8A31 A062 9F88 BF68 DE42 B1D5 76EC
+-------------------------------------------------------
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 07:37:56 -0400, you wrote:

>Stephen:
>
>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:25:21 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 19:20:13 -0700, you wrote:
>>>>
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Looks like that was my fault. I must have used my Windows editor to
>>>> update the changelog in the file and forgot to tell it to save it with
>>>> Unix line endings. I have fixed it now.
>>>
>>>I just updated all machines to Mythtv v31 and a new frontend with 20.04
>>>installed. As far as you know will your script still work as the 18.04
>>>version? Ubuntu is giving a message that the lirc package is not setup
>>>correctly.
>>>
>>>Thanks for any input.
>>>
>>>John
>>
>> My script is 18.04 specific, and I have not tested it on 20.04. I do
>> not know what, if any, problems lirc in 20.04 has. I did try 20.04 in
>> VirtualBox when it was released, and found a showstopper bug in lirc,
>> but it had an easy workaround and I filed a bug report. That bug was
>> supposed to have been fixed (I got notifications), but I never had the
>> time to check and see due to real life getting in the way.
>>
>> I think the chances that all of my script is still needed are small.
>> The problems with lirc in 18.04 were never with lirc itself - if you
>> manually configured it properly, it would work. The problems were
>> with the 18.04 package, which did not install all the needed library
>> files for the Python configuration tools, and did not install valid
>> configurations. My impression was that the package install had only
>> been tested on a machine where the package had been developed, and
>> hence the problems with the package were masked by the presence of the
>> source code and the results of compiling that.
>>
>> So, what is the message that you are now encountering? If it is
>> something that was also in 18.04, I should be able to point you to the
>> bits of my script that would, with appropriate changes, fix it.
>
>The messages I am getting are as follows when I run your script:
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------
>All prerequites are now in place, attempting to install the lirc Python 3 support...
>WARNING: Requirement '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz' looks like a filename, but the file does not exist
>Processing /usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz
>ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz'
>
>Exited - doing final cleanup
>-------------------------------------------------------------
>
>When I look in /usr/share/lirc, what I see is "lirc-0.10.1.tar.gz".
>
>I am guessing there is a new version and the name needs only to be
>changed, I hope. I did take a look at your script, but I was not 100%
>sure where that change needed to be made.
>
>I am hoping this is the only change that is needed.
>
>ubuntu 20.04 wants to install lirc-0.10.1-6.ubuntu1.1
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>John

Take a step back. What problems are you having with lirc on 20.04?
Why do you think you need my script to fix things? Does it give error
messages when you run lirc-setup?
_______________________________________________
mythtv-users mailing list
mythtv-users@mythtv.org
http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
Re: lircd unreliable after Ubuntu upgrade 16.04 > 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 07:37:56 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Stephen:
>>
>>Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> writes:
>>

[...]

>>
>>The messages I am getting are as follows when I run your script:
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------
>>All prerequites are now in place, attempting to install the lirc Python 3 support...
>>WARNING: Requirement '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz' looks like a filename, but the file does not exist
>>Processing /usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz
>>ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/lirc/lirc-0.10.0.tar.gz'
>>
>>Exited - doing final cleanup
>>-------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>When I look in /usr/share/lirc, what I see is "lirc-0.10.1.tar.gz".
>>
>>I am guessing there is a new version and the name needs only to be
>>changed, I hope. I did take a look at your script, but I was not 100%
>>sure where that change needed to be made.
>>
>>I am hoping this is the only change that is needed.
>>
>>ubuntu 20.04 wants to install lirc-0.10.1-6.ubuntu1.1
>>
>>Thanks for your help.
>>
>>John
>
> Take a step back. What problems are you having with lirc on 20.04?
> Why do you think you need my script to fix things? Does it give error
> messages when you run lirc-setup?

I can't get that far within Ubuntu 20.4, itself. The software centre
shows only "Application not Found".

If I run at the command line: sudo apt install lirc, it seems to install
lirc version 0.10.1-6.1ubuntu1.1.

However, when I run "sudo lirc-setup", I get the following dump;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_control.py:13: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a v
ersion first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_view.py:14: PyGIWarning: Vte was imported without specifying a vers
ion first. Use gi.require_version('Vte', '2.91') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Vte # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/database.py:135: YAMLLoadWarning: calling yaml.load() without Loader=... is deprecated, as the d
efault Loader is unsafe. Please read https://msg.pyyaml.org/load for full details.
cf = yaml.load(f.read())
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/database.py:69: YAMLLoadWarning: calling yaml.load() without Loader=... is deprecated, as the de
fault Loader is unsafe. Please read https://msg.pyyaml.org/load for full details.
cf = yaml.load(f.read())
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/database.py:142: YAMLLoadWarning: calling yaml.load() without Loader=... is deprecated, as the d
efault Loader is unsafe. Please read https://msg.pyyaml.org/load for full details.
cf = yaml.load(f.read())
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/database.py:161: YAMLLoadWarning: calling yaml.load() without Loader=... is deprecated, as the d
efault Loader is unsafe. Please read https://msg.pyyaml.org/load for full details.
cf = yaml.load(f.read())
jwb@richese:~$ sudo lirc-setup
[sudo] password for jwb:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_control.py:13: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a v
ersion first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/lirc-setup", line 16, in <module>
import mvc_control
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_control.py", line 16, in <module>
import choosers
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/choosers.py", line 11, in <module>
import mvc_model
File "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.8/site-packages/lirc-setup/mvc_model.py", line 14, in <module>
from lirc.database import Database
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
from .client import get_default_lircrc_path
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lirc/client.py", line 38, in <module>
import _client
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_client'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

These seem to come from a deprecated function as the default loader is
unsafe. I guess I went back to your script for the above error.

I was planning to clone the configuration and files from the older
frontend once installed here. I am prepared to update the various
configuration files by hand to match what is already working.

Is this a situation where I should send in a trouble report to the
ubuntu and/or lirc teams?

> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org
> http://lists.mythtv.org/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org

John
--
+-------------------------------------------------------
| John W. Burroughs, P. Eng. | keyid: 0x0243F7494B1A1ACD
| FPR: 0C18 84BA 182A 8A31 A062 9F88 BF68 DE42 B1D5 76EC
+-------------------------------------------------------